Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could bigamy be next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

i heard that a stoat will be legally able to marry a spider next, country has gone to the dogs joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

personally think polygyny would be good for society as it would increase the numbers of offspring for the wealthy, well educated in society and reduce the chances of the uneducated swines reproducing multiple more versions of themselves. why should great men be so limited? if you have a top race horse you would want it reproducing as much as possible. it would obviously benefit society because as it stands the lower classes are only going to further outnumber the upper classes into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't incest be dangerous in the sense if kids were produced there may be birth defects? I wouldn't support incest.

As for having more than one partner.. jeez isn't once enough work!!

Not if they are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Our social welfare system was never designed with Polygamy in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Just an aside, but this isn't a 'if same sex marriage, therefore bigamy' thing... The argument for bigamy has always been there regardless of same sex marriage. You only have to look at countries where bigamy and polygamy are legal to see that. We can ask how open minded Irish people may be to the idea, but they are quite distinct issues.

• Advertisement

We already have polygamy. Five year divorce wait means you can set up a common law spouse while your waiting for your divorce, have more kids etc.

What privaledge does a marriage bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭blackcard

zeffabelli wrote: »
    We already have polygamy. Five year divorce wait means you can set up a common law spouse while your waiting for your divorce, have more kids etc.

You could ask all the people who voted yes yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Can the mods do their jobs please & delete these stupid ****ing threads because a few assholes are unhappy with how a democratic vote went.

Pretty intolerant attitude you have there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Pretzill wrote: »
    That's bigayou ;)

(Get's coat before another what's-next thread opens)

Only just got that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Plumgirth wrote: »
    I have two girlfriends and a child with each we all live together, financially it works well as my girlfriends can both work part time and share childminding duties while I work full time. Legally it would be nice to have our relationship recognised for practical purposes.
    How many bambinos??

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    You could ask all the people who voted yes yesterday

That's what I'm doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

If there ever were such a referendum, I'd probably vote in favour of it. It would be good to have some legislation in place, particularly in cases where children are involved.

However I just can't see it ever happening. There are too few people involved in such relationships, or who feel strongly about the issue, to put pressure on the government to hold a referendum.

Also ... If you're someone who's capable of loving more than one person, doesn't that sort of go against the nature of marriage? I mean if you're in a committed long-term relationship with two people, at what stage can you rule out the possibility of a time coming where you want a fourth person to the relationship? It's another reason that I can't ever imagine there being a big push for a referendum.

no way monogamy foreverrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

blackcard wrote: »
    Is it possible to love two people at the same time? Is it possible to be okay with the fact that the person who loves you also loves someone else?

Cue Mary Mc Gregor singing "Torn between two lovers"

Originally Posted by blackcard viewpost.gif
    Is it possible to love two people at the same time? Is it possible to be okay with the fact that the person who loves you also loves someone else?

No it's not. Never I could never love anyone who loved someone else. I would become apathetic to them. That's a platonic kind of love there is no passion. For me anyway. I demand loyalty and faithfullnes. It's an attractive quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

If there ever were such a referendum, I'd probably vote in favour of it. It would be good to have some legislation in place, particularly in cases where children are involved.

However I just can't see it ever happening. There are too few people involved in such relationships, or who feel strongly about the issue, to put pressure on the government to hold a referendum.

Some folk couldn't see gay marriage happening five years ago so it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

What if your other half loves Jesus too ? Stiff competition there, middle eastern guy with godlike powers.

Not for me anyway...my lover is all mine or nothing! Yes I am excessive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Fortunately, we are following a path of equality for all, and retaining laws that forbid someone who is married from additionally marrying someone else is just plain discrimination. Those who believe in being married solely to one person are entitled to to that if they wish. But they cannot restrain others from being married to two or more people if they wish it, just because they would not choose to be bigamist or polygamist themselves.
    It can only be a matter of time if we are really true to our conviction in Fridays referendum decision. Probably not within this Dail at this stage. But surely in the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Not for me anyway...my lover is all mine or nothing! Yes I am excessive!

But surely you wouldnt deny other the possibility to do so even though it isnt your choice for yourself ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

At the beginning of this thread I was for Monogamy , then I found out that Im not in favour of it but instead would be in favour of polygamy. Then my one wife came in and reminded me of the list of DIY she has earmarked for me to do and has convinced herself that I can do them a to top tradesman levels.
    Now I just want to be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

2(or more) consenting adults, doing something that has no negative effects on the lives of anybody else outside of the arrangement is perfectly fine by me.

Has to prostitution next , thats if it needs a referendum to be legalised

If gay marriage needed one Id say prostitution will as well.
    Also legalisation of marijuana.
    Abortion and euthanasia.

I hope all 4 pass.

Also I would vote for polygamy but I seriously doubt it will ever pass if gay marriage got as much opposition as it did.

I vote that asexual relationships, whether incestuos or not, should have equal rights and enjoy the privaledges that homo and heterosexuals now enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I vote that asexual relationships, whether incestuos or not, should have equal rights and enjoy the privaledges that homo and heterosexuals now enjoy.

I may be missing your point somehow, but there is nothing preventing two asexual people of either gender from marrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Are you born a bigamist or do you become a bigamist?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gay and lesbian couples have a perfect right to be as miserable as heterosexual married couples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Polygamy is something I could see... but not bigamy.

Some people are capable of satisfying more than one partner, while others struggle to satisfy one! (or any)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Has to prostitution next , thats if it needs a referendum to be legalised

Prostitution is legal in Ireland. Unless I missed it being criminalised which is possible.

Advertisement