Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win or lose today - Can we keep it civilised?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 8:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

I always say, and try to live by it, it's important to be a good loser but even more important to be a good winner.

If Yes wins today it will be a truly historic event.

Ireland will be the first nation on this planet where the people have voted to extend marriage rights to same sex couples.

Now I my side lost, but I will have the good grace to congratulate the Yes side, admire the way you were able to muster so many people who maybe never voted before to turn out and embrace this change as best I can.

Why embrace it? Well I am an out and proud Irish man and want to make this place as good a little country as is possible.

Petty triumphalism and name calling will diminish the historic result and take away from what is a wonderful result for all Yes voters.

Irish politics is pretty unique I think. We fight tooth and nail in campaigns but can have a pint when its all done and dusted and move on to the next one.

So try to keep the purile name calling out of it, enjoy your win and enjoy it with good grace. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

The no side is already amassing resources for the next abortion referendum. Now that will be proper drama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Icepick wrote: »
    The no side is already amassing resources for the next abortion referendum. Now that will be proper drama.

And I will be putting my shoulder to that wheel if and when it happens.

But I think you have completely missed the point of my original post?

And I will be putting my shoulder to that wheel if and when it happens.

But I think you have completely missed the point of my original post?
    you lost after a hateful campaign but want to be friends, please?

I'd settle for being civil to one another.

Is that too much to ask?

I always say, and try to live by it, it's important to be a good loser but even more important to be a good winner.

If Yes wins today it will be a truly historic event.

Ireland will be the first nation on this planet where the people have voted to extend marriage rights to same sex couples.

Now I my side lost, but I will have the good grace to congratulate the Yes side, admire the way you were able to muster so many people who maybe never voted before to turn out and embrace this change as best I can.

Why embrace it? Well I am an out and proud Irish man and want to make this place as good a little country as is possible.

Petty triumphalism and name calling will diminish the historic result and take away from what is a wonderful result for all Yes voters.

Irish politics is pretty unique I think. We fight tooth and nail in campaigns but can have a pint when its all done and dusted and move on to the next one.

So try to keep the purile name calling out of it, enjoy your win and enjoy it with good grace. :)

After what my gay friends have gone through over the last few weeks, I'll not be surprised if they give the same name calling back to the no camp.

Honestly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I'd settle for being civil to one another.

Is that too much to ask?

Pity the no side didn't take that line when they ran their campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Ffs both sides are too blame. The Yes side calling all people who vote No as homophobes and bigots was a bad start.

I'm afraid you won't get your serene utopia today Menorca. Just be glad it's all over and the drama can be left for real world problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I think the joy of a Yes result has been utterly ruined by the nastiness shown by so many on the yes side.
    I have never witnessed such a level of scorn and derision - against anyone who even expressed an opposing viewpoint based on their sincerely held beliefs.
    I really hope we don't have an abortion referendum next.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Ffs both sides are too blame. The Yes side calling all people who vote No as homophobes and bigots was a bad start.

I'm afraid you won't get your serene utopia today Menorca. Just be glad it's all over and the drama can be left for real world problems.
    oh, the irony

oh, the irony
    :D

Yeah you know poverty, employment, health, housing etc. Stuff that really deserves the country's attention.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Yes , keep it civil everybody. No screeching or slapping or pulling each others hair.

mark_79 wrote: »
    Yes , keep it civil everybody. No screeching or slapping or pulling each others hair.

tumblr_lfedxpdZx31qdj3kh.gif

:D

Yeah you know poverty, employment, health, housing etc. Stuff that really deserves the country's attention.
    All those things are closely associated with basic human rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

All those things are closely associated with basic human rights.

In the pecking order marriage, gay or otherwise doesn't even begin to compare to them.

Sleeping rough tonight? Diagnosed with terminal cancer? Lost your job? No food on the table? Oh well, could be worse. Just think of poor John and Larry next door.....

I still think there are enough people on the Yes side who will take on this victory with a good grace.

Serene Utopia would be just boring too. :)

OK, this thread also goes out out No voters.

Whats the point in re-living the campaign today? The results will be in soon.

Maturity is required from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,768 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In the pecking order marriage, gay or otherwise doesn't even begin to compare to them.

Sleeping rough tonight? Diagnosed with terminal cancer? Lost your job? No food on the table? Oh well, could be worse. Just think of poor John and Larry next door.....

Equality is not mutually exclusive.you can't pick and choose what's important.

If you think you can then you need some enlightenment my friend .

Back when women were refused the right to vote.industry was more important.

Do you comprehend that much?

You are failing to make the connection between discrimination and poverty.
    But I agree that if the no side donated their vast resources to children charities instead of spending it on a campaign of fear and hate, it would have both helped and showed they actually care about children.

You are failing to make the connection between discrimination and poverty.
    But I agree that if the no side ahd donated their vast resources to children charities instead of spending it on a campaign of fear and hate, it would have both helped and showed they actually care about children.

This is absolutely the type of ****e that annoys me. Instead of eating today, why don't you go without and give the money to poor children to show that you actually care about children.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

OK, this thread also goes out out No voters.

Whats the point in re-living the campaign today? The results will be in soon.

Maturity is required from both sides.

Results will be in soon and (I hope) the yes will win.

But discussions will be in the society for years. Whatever the result of the referendum is, the no voters will think that same sex marriage shouldn't be allowed and yes voters will think that should be.

The campaign is finished, the debate is just started.

• Advertisement

belfe wrote: »
    Results will be in soon and (I hope) the yes will win.

But discussions will be in the society for years. Whatever the result of the referendum is, the no voters will think that same sex marriage shouldn't be allowed and yes voters will think that should be.

The campaign is finished, the debate is just started.

Oh please no!!

LorMal wrote: »
    This is absolutely the type of ****e that annoys me. Instead of eating today, why don't you go without and give the money to poor children to show that you actually care about children.
    How do you know I am not doing that?

And my eating equals spending money on hateful posters and TV ads how exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

I don't think the yes side mustered non-voters at all. I think the Irish people for a change felt a need to come out and vote, to have a voice to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

LorMal wrote: »
    Oh please no!!

Don´t worry, not in TV or in the streets :D

But when someone is getting a same-sex marriage, every relative and neighbour will think that has the right to give its opinion.

How do you know I am not doing that?

And my eating equals spending money on hateful posters and TV ads how exactly?

Well done. Try going for the full week.

belfe wrote: »
    Don´t worry, not in TV or in the streets :D

But when someone is getting a same-sex marriage, every relative and neighbour will think that has the right to give its opinion.

I'm sure it become a non issue in time. I actually think there are way way more important issues that need addressing in this country but this was a handy issue for the Government to look all cool and trendy - and to distract from issues like our level of indebtedness with people losing their homes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And I'm sure civil rights was a handy way for the Kennedy and LBJ administrations to look "cool and trendy" too.

And I'm sure civil rights was a handy way for the Kennedy and LBJ administrations to look "cool and trendy" too.

Spare me the drama. Mitchelstown is Burning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

As opposed to unnatural? abomination? filthy? disgusting? and not just in the last month either.

• Advertisement

galljga1 wrote: »
    As opposed to unnatural? abomination? filthy? disgusting? and not just in the last month either.

And what about the Burning Crosses in the gardens? No, wait....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement