Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wayne Mardle as a commentator - #MardleOut

Options
  • 20-05-2015 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭

Personally, I'm sick of Mardle in the commentary box and quite often find he ruins a good game of darts with his hyperactive, over excitable, screaming hype which is not even mentioning his wrong calls.

He has been spoken about(by me anyway...hope somebody's listening ;)) in various threads but I feel its time we dedicate a thread/uprise against his nonsense. We've been chatting about it in the premier league thread for a while now, but I know some of you don't follow the league too closely and may not always read the PL thread, but more and more people seem to be getting sick of him.

In the PL thread I proposed for any twitter users that we could start using #MardleOut to try and get an end put to it/him. So today I read Chris Mason on twitter saying he was being taken off some upcoming ITV tournaments which was not ITVs decision, so I can only presume its a PDC decision. Now for me, Mason is 1 of th best commentators on the darts and I look forward to ITV tournaments to listen to him(not so much the camera coverage lol). Anyway, I replied back to Chris saying I hoped it wasn't PDCs decision because they keep Mardle(I used a little more colourful description of mardle tho :D ) on and he favorited the reply either meaning he agrees about Mardle AND/OR it is a PDC decision.

So I put it for everyone(twitter ppl) to use #MardleOut anytime you hear him talking nonsense and maybe, just maybe we can get him off commentating on (as many) games of darts as he currently seems to be.

Heres a few hashtags and twitter accounts that you may or may not want to include ; #MardleOut #LoveTheDarts @OfficialPDC @BarryHearn @SkySportsDarts

Please feel free to let me know any other hashtags or accounts and I can update/edit the list :) Come on lads, boards.ie/darts could be thanked by the world of darts and maybe we'll have world championship tickets donated to us for making the world a better place :D

Do you want Wayne Mardle to stop commentating on darts? 27 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 27 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

WHO THE F**K VOTED NO? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :D

do you people watch with the sound muted or something? lol j/k reason for the poll is to get a better idea.

I thought on boards(maybe getting mixed up with different forum)once you voted you could see what members voted for rather than just the numbers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Devastator wrote: »

do you people watch with the sound muted or something? lol j/k reason for the poll is to get a better idea.

I thought on boards(maybe getting mixed up with different forum)once you voted you could see what members voted for rather than just the numbers?

You needed to set the poll as a public poll to see who voted for what.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    You needed to set the poll as a public poll to see who voted for what.

Oh dear :mad: last time I try and post a poll :D

I tried to edit the post but couldn't see an option for poll. Can it be amended(either by me or you)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not a fan myself but jeez, the lad is entitled to work. I don't like listening to Niall Quinn, Alan Smith, Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves... the list goes on.
    I don't think they should be hounded out of a job though.

Not a fan myself but jeez, the lad is entitled to work. I don't like listening to Niall Quinn, Alan Smith, Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves... the list goes on.
    I don't think they should be hounded out of a job though.

I didn't say he's not entitled to work, I just don't want him working as a commentator. I'm sure some bingo halls or mcdonalds drive thru's would love his hyperactive BS :D

Although he sounds boring, Alan SMith ain't too bad but Michael Owen is the pits! Townsend outdoes everyone in football though IMO, I actually do mute the tv when he's on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I voted no.

He can be annoying at times but I think you need a knowledgable play by play guy and a colour commentator type guy to bounce off each other.

Part and Mason are clearly the two most knowledgable but Mardle does add something. People hated Waddell at times as well saying he talked nonsense but I enjoyed his gibber gabber.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Oh dear :mad: last time I try and post a poll :D

I tried to edit the post but couldn't see an option for poll. Can it be amended(either by me or you)?

No once anyone has voted on the poll you can't change it to public. I assume this is because some people would only vote on a poll if it's anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I voted no :D

He's a twat for sure but he can be entertaining... sometimes. I'd like to see and hear a bit less from him but not see him gone altogether. John Part is good on the commentary, I know he's still playing but a bit more TV time for the overlooked 3 time world champion would be good.

Folks, I did say to get him off "as many" games as he currently is. I would be happy if they cut his airtime by ohhh....99% or so :D

MD - Sid seemed to go into overload in his last few years, maybe not his fault(giving some benefit of doubt to Mardle also here) as we all know all much sly sports like to hype even the most mundane event, this is across all/most sports they cover as far as I can tell. It seems Mardle is maybe trying to copy Sid's wacky style? Even though he talked some madness it was all kinda relevant to the game, he didn't often make glaring mistakes while calling

Going back to what I said before about Mason & not doing some ITV tournaments how does #BringBackMace or #MissingAce sound to try and convince PDC(or whoevers decision it was) to get him back on. If memory serves me right Alan W-Little is the other ex darter on ITV, he's ok but could do with a line of whatever mardle is using ;) I don't know who else they would get in...ITVs overall coverage is a bit crap IMO and the presenter Matt Smith doesn't have a clue.

Mardle interview from 2005 when he sat in tv studio area with headset on and didn't realise he was in a live interview :D

• Advertisement

Ha saw it before.

His face is hilarious when he's told its live.

Good to see a pro sportsman talk honestly in an interview for once though.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Ha saw it before.

His face is hilarious when he's told its live.

Good to see a pro sportsman talk honestly in an interview for once though.

I think he followed through :D

He just doesn't come across as very intelligent IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

oh hello..

Bumpity bump after just 1 night of the grand prix I think the #mardleout campaign needs a boot in the hole :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The commentator (can't think of his name) made a stupid observation during the final between MvG and Thornton. They were after playing about 8 sets and MvG had about 5 140's and 14 180's and Thornton about 15 140's and 3/4 180's.
    According to the commentator all of Thornton's 140's were doing big damage to MvG. Ffs...Mvg..had the same amount of 180's...140's with another 40 points tacked on for good measure. Did some damage too I'd day.

gramar wrote: »
    The commentator (can't think of his name) made a stupid observation during the final between MvG and Thornton. They were after playing about 8 sets and MvG had about 5 140's and 14 180's and Thornton about 15 140's and 3/4 180's.
    According to the commentator all of Thornton's 140's were doing big damage to MvG. Ffs...Mvg..had the same amount of 180's...140's with another 40 points tacked on for good measure. Did some damage too I'd day.

I wonder who it could have been :D I remember John Part was on the 1st 1/2 of the final and I then had a sudden urge to mute the sound ;)

I discovered the other night he blocked me on twitter! :D I didn't(obviously) ever follow him and don't remember ever directly sending him a message(maybe he was copied into a sky sports tweet I was responding to?) so not sure how he knows about me to block me lol

He's blocked a fair few ppl on twitter who have called him out as being the worst person allowed on the microphone during darts (even above Freddie Flintoff haha), obviously can't take constructive*shem* criticism :p

I wonder who it could have been :D I remember John Part was on the 1st 1/2 of the final and I then had a sudden urge to mute the sound ;)

I discovered the other night he blocked me on twitter! :D I didn't(obviously) ever follow him and don't remember ever directly sending him a message(maybe he was copied into a sky sports tweet I was responding to?) so not sure how he knows about me to block me lol

He's blocked a fair few ppl on twitter who have called him out as being the worst person allowed on the microphone during darts (even above Freddie Flintoff haha), obviously can't take constructive*shem* criticism :p

John Part is a great commentator and I hope he takes it up full time when he calls it a day on his pro career. Maybe people call him bad because they have just come to expect all darts commentators to be shouty, full of BS and hyperbole. The like of him and Chris Mason add some balance and Part often says it as it really is when the lead commentator tries to set him up to say something to hype up the match.

It was Stuart Pyke...couldn't think of his name.
    Part is ok...easy on the ear and for the most part talks sense and doesn't scream like a girl when a the best darts players in the world hit a couple of numbers.

John Part is a great commentator and I hope he takes it up full time when he calls it a day on his pro career. Maybe people call him bad because they have just come to expect all darts commentators to be shouty, full of BS and hyperbole. The like of him and Chris Mason add some balance and Part often says it as it really is when the lead commentator tries to set him up to say something to hype up the match.

I've not heard anyone say Part's bad.

I like how he gives an insight into a players thoughts, like he'll not BS and say player 1 was ahead in the leg but when player 2 had a poor attempt at checking out it would be a lot of pressure of P1

I've not heard anyone say Part's bad.

I like how he gives an insight into a players thoughts, like he'll not BS and say player 1 was ahead in the leg but when player 2 had a poor attempt at checking out it would be a lot of pressure of P1

In your earlier post you said he had received criticism on Twitter and I thought you meant that you didn't like him too.

As for giving an insight into a players thoughts, yes he does that properly. The other commentators try to get him to say something stupid by setting him up with stupid lines like suggesting that a player missed a double because he was thinking about a match from last week where he missed the same double but Part never plays into that crap, unlike certain others do.

• Advertisement

In your earlier post you said he had received criticism on Twitter and I thought you meant that you didn't like him too.

As for giving an insight into a players thoughts, yes he does that properly. The other commentators try to get him to say something stupid by setting him up with stupid lines like suggesting that a player missed a double because he was thinking about a match from last week where he missed the same double but Part never plays into that crap, unlike certain others do.

ahhhhh no, I was replying to gramar and presumed (wrongly) that he jokingly forgot mardle was the commentator, so my reply was based on mardle blocking me and getting criticism on twitter

I like Part, ideally I would like sky to have him, Mason & John Gywnn back for the darts, all 3 are relaxed, give interesting thoughts on the match and don't scream like 11 year old girls when they see one direction

ahhhhh no, I was replying to gramar and presumed (wrongly) that he jokingly forgot mardle was the commentator, so my reply was based on mardle blocking me and getting criticism on twitter

I like Part, ideally I would like sky to have him, Mason & John Gywnn back for the darts, all 3 are relaxed, give interesting thoughts on the match and don't scream like 11 year old girls when they see one direction

You couldn't forget Mardle....no matter how hard you try!

I think Stuart Pyke is as bad as him and is probably the bigger problem...he stokes him up knowing Mardle will take the bait every time. Cartoon Head said it above in relation to Part but he has a mind of his own.

You should change the campaign to Pyke out! Mardle is just a patsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Stupid thread.

Mardle is a decent commentator. He's very knowledgable and genuinely loves the game.

Rod Harrington is probably the worst. My favourite would have to be John Part.

You couldn't forget Mardle....no matter how hard you try!

I think Stuart Pyke is as bad as him and is probably the bigger problem...he stokes him up knowing Mardle will take the bait every time. Cartoon Head said it above in relation to Part but he has a mind of his own.

You should change the campaign to Pyke out! Mardle is just a patsy.

yeah I was giving you too much credit for being funny ;) I thought it was a tongue in cheek comment lol

TBH all the actual commentators sound pretty much the same, Gywnn was different though, maybe it was his calm demeanor(well he seemed that way...especially next to Sid!) or his accent that made him enjoyable but I wish he was back but think he's getting on a bit and he does the the lower leagues on soccer saturday still I think.

Nib wrote: »
    Stupid thread.

Mardle is a decent commentator. He's very knowledgable and genuinely loves the game.

Rod Harrington is probably the worst. My favourite would have to be John Part.

Mardle knows his stuff but isn't very good at expressing it. I watched one of those new '180' shows the other day. Sweet holy jesus...Andrew Flintoff...he makes Mardle sound like David Attenborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I do get irritated when they switch commentators in the middle of a match during an adbreak, It always seems to be from Part to Mardle. Part is so easy and pleasant to listen to that you kind of have to adjust your ears once Wayne comes on with a silly observation or starts up with his hyper antics.

I don't hate the guy and he is knowledgeable and even amusing sometimes, I just prefer him in small doses and not when they lump him into the comm box half way through a match.

Mardle knows his stuff but isn't very good at expressing it. I watched one of those new '180' shows the other day. Sweet holy jesus...Andrew Flintoff...he makes Mardle sound like David Attenborough.

No no no that's where I draw the line.

That cricket gimp should not be allowed commentate on darts of any sort!!!

TBH all the actual commentators sound pretty much the same, Gywnn was different though, maybe it was his calm demeanor(well he seemed that way...especially next to Sid!) or his accent that made him enjoyable but I wish he was back but think he's getting on a bit and he does the the lower leagues on soccer saturday still I think.

Gywnne does some commentary for the BDO now. He was always my favourite commentator.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Gywnne does some commentary for the BDO now. He was always my favourite commentator.

Oh really? That could convince me to watch more of the BDO in future. Have they finally put Tony Green out of his(our :D )misery then?

He(Gywnn) must have left sky then, I can't imagine him being allowed to work for bbc or eurosport if he was also contracted to sky. Last time I remember hearing him was giving league 2 updates on soccer saturday last season(or season before)....I don't like SS as merson & nicholas bug the f*** outta me screaming and shouting when nothing has even happened in the game they're watching......I'm starting to see a familiar pattern to people who annoy me :D

• Advertisement

Oh really? That could convince me to watch more of the BDO in future. Have they finally put Tony Green out of his(our :D )misery then?

He(Gywnn) must have left sky then, I can't imagine him being allowed to work for bbc or eurosport if he was also contracted to sky. Last time I remember hearing him was giving league 2 updates on soccer saturday last season(or season before)....I don't like SS as merson & nicholas bug the f*** outta me screaming and shouting when nothing has even happened in the game they're watching......I'm starting to see a familiar pattern to people who annoy me :D

Well Justin Credible had a few things to say about Gywnn and the BDO in general on his Knob of the Week section of his blog. It's worth a read from time to time though I don't always agree with him and I really wish he would format the text properly on his blog:
    John Gwynne. Shouting into the microphone during the Masters that a player was throwing for the match, and then realizes it was first to 5 sets not 3.
    Then during the McKinstry -v- Fitton game says how great northern Ireland was in the football and how shane long scored a great goal for Northern Ireland, and said the Polish jobber that beat Ross was Czech, ranting on about Yorkshire and other county players that no one gives a flying f*ck about....it just went on and on and on...any wonder Sky got rid of him.

And on the Masters:
    As for the the Winmau Masters, in the 16 games today there was TWENTY TWO sub 90 averages. There was SIX sub 80 averages, and even a sub 65 average. One player even won a match today 3-0 in sets with a 78 average, what a f*cking joke of a comp.

That really is an appalling standard, the BDO are in serious trouble these days and having a few televised competitions doesn't seem to be enough to stop the slide. Off topic I know but I just noticed it on his blog when I saw the but about Gwynn.

Advertisement