Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSM referendum canvassing

Options
  • 19-05-2015 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

I've finished up exams so I've the time to go canvassing, and since being out of the liberal bubble of the college and back at home, I'm beginning to see that it might be closer than I thought, so I want to help make the difference.

Are there any official canvassing groups around the city still making the rounds I could join up to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Which side do you want to canvas for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Which side do you want to canvas for?

The yes side, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    The yes side, obviously

Why obviously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Find these two women and follow them around.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32753085
    Btw where is that housing estate?

Why obviously?

Given my post history, and given its the right thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Given my post history, and given its the right thing to do

Only took 5 posts in the thread to get to the real reason it was started. Canvasing the Galwegians of Boards!

Only took 5 posts in the thread to get to the real reason it was started. Canvasing the Galwegians of Boards!

I don't care about that, I actually want to canvass. I haven't done it yet, and I feel like I should considering I am gay myself and the yes side is dropping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't care about that, I actually want to canvass. I haven't done it yet, and I feel like I should considering I am gay myself and the yes side is dropping.
    Just go around random houses this evening or stand on Williamsgate St and preach your point of view

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

The yes side, obviously

I hope you do a better job then the current lot - I'm voting yes, but I find the Yes crowd off putting.

I don't think they've done a good job of getting the swing voters onside as the No side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I hope you do a better job then the current lot - I'm voting yes, but I find the Yes crowd off putting.

Indeed.

There was a piece by Brendan O'Connor (?) in the Sunday Info (?) this week about reluctant-yes'es. I suspect it was intended to be satirical. But it described the thinking of me and a few people I know.

IMHO it's not self-evident to everyone that there is only one way to vote.

Some people say "no" because they're concerned that the constitutional effects haven't really been spelled out, and they want this done before making the change. (Apparently there is history in this country of doing a half-*** job and making things worse.)

Some people say No because they believe we should abolish the patriarchal institution of marriage, not extend it to even more people.

Some people say "no" because they've got the ideas of religious marriage and civil marriage totally entwined. Personally I think that with a respectful discussion, some of these might be swayed: divorced people can have a civil marriage without having a church one, and all that's proposed is to give gay people the same option.

OP - good luck with your canvassing, I hope these notes give you some ideas re what to say in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Red_Wake wrote: »

I don't think they've done a good job of getting the swing voters onside as the No side.

Agression, bullying, intimidation. Tearing town no posters! Some of the yes campaign has been a disgrace, if they lose they only have themselves to blame. The political stunt with the Gay cake controversy couldn't have come at a worse time for the yes campaign and could seriously impact the undecided voters. The last thing i want is my privacy invaded with door to door canvassers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

zarquon wrote: »
    Agression, bullying, intimidation. Tearing town no posters! Some of the yes campaign has been a disgrace, if they lose they only have themselves to blame. The political stunt with the Gay cake controversy couldn't have come at a worse time for the yes campaign and could seriously impact the undecided voters. The last thing i want is my privacy invaded with door to door canvassers.

Put up a no canvassing sign

Put up a no canvassing sign

I used to have a "no unsolicited mail" sign up which was ignored on a consistant basis. It's a good idea though and i will do so but i expect it may be ignored. If people feel their junk mail is so important they will ignore such requests how much more people canvassing for such an important topic.

To the OP, if you come across a no solicitation or no canvassing sign, would you duly respect it?

I used to have a "no unsolicited mail" sign up which was ignored on a consistant basis. It's a good idea though and i will do so but i expect it may be ignored. If people feel their junk mail is so important they will ignore such requests how much more people canvassing for such an important topic.

To the OP, if you come across a no solicitation or no canvassing sign, would you duly respect it?

I'd only respect it in the sense I wouldn't tear it down, but I have zero respect for the lies and dishonesty being pushed by the no side. It's infuriating to see the 'every child deserves a mother and a father' shíte, which has nothing at all to do with the referendum regarding the marriage of two people of the same sex, only.

My only aim will be to straighten out the misconception that this has anything at all to do with children. It's a referendum for marriage equality, and matters relating to surrogacy and adoption are another matter that has already been addressed by the government.

If they still feel like voting no after that, it's doesn't make me feel great, but at least they'd know the actual facts involved and won't vote no due to false assumptions.

I'd only respect it in the sense I wouldn't tear it down

So you'd ignore a no canvassing sign then and proceed to knock on the door. How very big of you to not tear down such a sign. I really hope for your sake that you don't knock on my door with that sort of atitude. It's not going to garner you the response you want.

So you'd ignore a no canvassing sign then and proceed to knock on the door. How very big of you to not tear down such a sign. I really hope for your sake that you don't knock on my door with that sort of atitude. It's not going to garner you the response you want.
    I misunderstood you. I thought you asked what did I think of the no posters around the city, not your 'no campaigners' sign. I wouldn't push that. I'm not that pushy and it's obviously just fall on deaf ears

I misunderstood you. I thought you asked what did I think of the no posters around the city, not your 'no campaigners' sign. I wouldn't push that. I'm not that pushy and it's obviously just fall on deaf ears

I specifically said a "no canvassing" sign or a "no solicitation" sign. I find it hard to believe you misunderstood what that meant or somehow construed that i meant a no vote sign! I find it easier believe you are just backtracking now to avoid being shown in a negative light as you stated the only respect you would show to a no canvassing sign is to not tear it down. Basically ignoring peoples personal liberties to push your own - that's hardly equality is it.

I specifically said a "no canvassing" sign or a "no solicitation" sign. I find it hard to believe you misunderstood what that meant or somehow construed that i meant a no vote sign! I find it easier believe you are just backtracking now to avoid being shown in a negative light

Look man, that's what happened. This is an Internet board, why would I care so much about what an anonymous man thinks of me.

You seem like an absolute delight

Look man, that's what happened. This is an Internet board, why would I care so much about what an anonymous man thinks of me.

You seem like an absolute delight

Because anonymous men have a vote too! Why bother even posting on an internet forum with such an atitude then! I hope your "canvassing" here is not indicative of any door to door canvassing you may do.

• Advertisement

Because anonymous men have a vote too! Why bother even posting on an internet forum with such an atitude then!

How is it me who has an attitude?

Anyways, hopefully I can make some headway tomorrow

How is it me who has an attitude?

Anyways, hopefully I can make some headway tomorrow

Attitudes can be positive or negative, it doesn't always indicate something negative, it simply means a position or disposition which you clearly have otherwise you wouldn't be canvassing. You declared an apathetic atitude to anonymous members here and that is fair enough. Nothing wrong with that per se but don't forget every poster here over 18 is a real person anonymous or not and can be swayed or dissuade by your input here.

You state you don't care what anonymous people think and yet you are going canvassing door to door to engage the thoughts of anonymous people so there is a contradiction in your thoughts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I just wouldnt go annoying people door to door. Annoying people defo wont help your cause. Theres more than enough pushy yessers. I'd actually say not ramming stuff down their throat would be best. Annoying undecided could push them to no tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You do realise the gay cake "stunt" was a court case in another jurisdiction resulting from an incident that happened several months ago? What the absolute f*** has that got to do with the Yes campaign or this week's referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I had lots of yes and no callers all asking me how I might vote, I told them all its none of their business and closed the door.

Zzippy wrote: »
    You do realise the gay cake "stunt" was a court case in another jurisdiction resulting from an incident that happened several months ago? What the absolute f*** has that got to do with the Yes campaign or this week's referendum?

Yes it was in another jurisdiction but it is an indication of the type of thing that can happen in any jurisdiction.

In fairness stating that a political stunt by a gay lobby group that was used to suppress freedom of religious expression, has nothing to do with the vote here, is incredibly naive to say the least. The stunt was used in a state where gay marriage was illegal, do you really think that there would be no litigation from such lobby groups towards business and groups that won't support gay marriage once written into the constitution as legal?

People only want equality when it suits them. Freedom of sexual expression but removal of religious freedom. One should either promote equality for all or not at all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes it was in another jurisdiction but it is an indication of the type of thing that can happen in any jurisdiction.

In fairness stating that a political stunt by a gay lobby group that was used to suppress freedom of religious expression, has nothing to do with the vote here, is incredibly naive to say the least. The stunt was used in a state where gay marriage was illegal, do you really think that there would be no litigation from such lobby groups towards business and groups that won't support gay marriage once written into the constitution as legal?

People only want equality when it suits them. Freedom of sexual expression but removal of religious freedom. One should either promote equality for all or not at all

To be honest that sounds like the paranoid BS that the No campaign have been coming out with. Scaremongering and resentment that people actually fight for equality. Misrepresenting facts, as if religious freedom will be removed. FYI, if you offer a business service, religious freedom does not permit you to discriminate. This case is nothing to do with religious freedom. Whataboutery of the worst kind.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,271 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'll be delighted when it's over tbh.

Zzippy wrote: »
    To be honest that sounds like the paranoid BS that the No campaign have been coming out with. Scaremongering and resentment that people actually fight for equality. Misrepresenting facts, as if religious freedom will be removed. FYI, if you offer a business service, religious freedom does not permit you to discriminate. This case is nothing to do with religious freedom. Whataboutery of the worst kind.... :rolleyes:

On this very island, we have an example of a gay activist that knowingly targeted a christian business owner to force them to provide services in contravention of their religious beliefs and then persued litigation against them when they expressed their religous beliefs.

Will you walk into a Galway Halal supplier and demand pork lest they discreminate against your beliefs.

This campaign is persuing equality but really its persuing equality for some, but inequality for others, freedom of expression for one group and suppression for others. The sooner this is over the better!

In the U.S, places like massachusetts are firing teachers for not teaching homosexuality to young school goers, federal judges are telling parents they have no say in what their children are to be taught in schoool, priest and pastors are being sued for not performing marriage ceremonies for gay couples. Suppression of religious freedom is a big problem in places where gay marriage has been legalised such as the U.S and Canada and we can even see it in our own isles in the news today but yet there are some such as yourself that state it won't happen here! What makes the republic so special that religious freedom won't be impacted by the legislation when it is being impacted the world over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

I doubt anyone can convince a No voter to switch to yes.
    but i do think some yes voters could switch as the day gets closer.
    It is going to be a close vote, i expect a rural NO and an urban YES.

The surrogacy argument is working nicely for the NO crowd,
    I think the key for the YES vote to win is to get their vote to come out on friday.

I will say in my part of the world the NO Vote is well ahead,
    friday is going to be very close.
    BTW i will vote yes.

Advertisement