Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockabill 2015

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

Another blog update, this time about all of the non-seabird marine biodiversity we see on and around Rockabill:

http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/08/plenty-to-see-in-irish-sea.html

a very interesting thread, thanks for sharing. Isn't that a shanny rather than a goby in that picture though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

tisgrand wrote: »
    a very interesting thread, thanks for sharing. Isn't that a shanny rather than a goby in that picture though?

Thanks for that Tisgrand! Never got great views of it, and our knowledge of rockpool biodiversity isn't what it should be, but Shanny looks correct alright.

Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

Thanks for that Tisgrand! Never got great views of it, and our knowledge of rockpool biodiversity isn't what it should be, but Shanny looks correct alright.

Thanks again! :)

I'm no expert lol, but that one i know. They are comical little creatures, taking morsels of food and shaking it terrier like. Another curious habit is their ability to haul out of the water much like a mudskipper. Definitely my favourite rockpool dweller

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Is Rockabill a protected site all year round, so you require a permit to land there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Falconire wrote: »
    Is Rockabill a protected site all year round, so you require a permit to land there.

My understanding is that access is rarely permitted to the general public and then strictly only with prior approval of the Irish Lights.

You can get sea tours going around it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Going to try and do a few blogs over the next two weeks outlining how each species fared on Rockabill this breeding season. First up are Black Guillemots: http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/09/black-guillemots-on-rockabill-2015.html

Our second end-of-season update, this time on our Kittiwake population - fantastic birds!

http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/09/kittiwakes-on-rockabill-2015.html

Third end-of-season update - Arctic Terns and Oystercatchers - i.e. the blog with all of the really bad news!

http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/09/arctic-terns-and-oystercatchers-on.html

Our penultimate species update from #Rockabill - the most numerous (and aggressive!) species out there, the Common Terns!

http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/09/common-terns-on-rockabill-2015.html

Also, we'll be on TV3 tomorrow at 8.30pm on the programme 'Animal Rescue'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Also, we'll be on TV3 tomorrow at 8.30pm on the programme 'Animal Rescue'!

I was watching this evening - Did they get your names mixed up in the programme?!
    Anyway, fair play, you're doing great work there by the looks of it.

• Advertisement

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I was watching this evening - Did they get your names mixed up in the programme?!

Haha, they did indeed!

In terms of mix-ups, it could have been worse!

When they were out with us filming, we had told them about Gull predation as a problem. Later on, Andrew noticed that the cameraman was getting a lot of footage of the Kittiwakes...... so its a good thing we cleared that up at the time, or the Kittiwakes could have gotten a very bad rep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

In terms of mix-ups, it could have been worse!

When they were out with us filming, we had told them about Gull predation as a problem. Later on, Andrew noticed that the cameraman was getting a lot of footage of the Kittiwakes...... so its a good thing we cleared that up at the time, or the Kittiwakes could have gotten a very bad rep!!

Killer Kittiwake Konfusion!!

It was a very good year for Roseate Terns on Rockabill this year, and there was plenty of good news from their other colonies too:

http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/09/roseate-terns-on-rockabill-2015-good.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

It was a very good year for Roseate Terns on Rockabill this year, and there was plenty of good news from their other colonies too:

http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/09/roseate-terns-on-rockabill-2015-good.html
    Great stuff:) The summer of 2012 was a bad summer, constant rain and cold. That would have surely have affected productivity of the common terns since they don't use nest boxes. The nest boxes would have protected the roseate chicks. Would these cohorts of chicks (roseates/common) have nested this year? If so it could partially explain why roseates are up and the commons are down?

Great stuff:) The summer of 2012 was a bad summer, constant rain and cold. That would have surely have affected productivity of the common terns since they don't use nest boxes. The nest boxes would have protected the roseate chicks. Would these cohorts of chicks (roseates/common) have nested this year? If so it could partially explain why roseates are up and the commons are down?

Yeah I'd have to look at the respective productivities to be sure, but yeah we'd be expecting a decent number of 2012 birds in the population this year, so I suspect you're bang on with that interpretation!

Edit: Common Tern productivity was 0.30 in 2012, which was terrible! So yeah, you're dead right!

Advertisement