Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elasticsearch / Elk

Options
  • 15-05-2015 9:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone is using this toolset to gather/display data. Currently trying to trial-test it with a CSV data source. The visualisations are nearly real-time and fairly customisiable but it does seem to take up a good amount of diskspace.
    https://www.elastic.co/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Only came across this forum recently so apologies for the late reply

I setup an ELK stack at work however when it came to the final stage of getting it to report on server logs I realised that it was mainly for Linux boxes - which we have plenty of, however our critical servers are windows based and I never got around to looking into this more & smoothing it out.

All I wanted was a URL that could output logs & system issues from servers across the company.

Hopefully yours is going well - Kibana looks very tidy I have to say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The setup for ELK on windows is also possible, but getting the data input in bulk was a bit tricky so I've found best to keep the systems seperate. Upgraded to the 4.1.1 version of Kibana. Nicer graphics to work with but a steepish learning curve, especially if you need to drill down and make changes to the underlying queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I wonder could you pull graph data from a nagios install to the graphics in Kibana look pretty class, must give it a look tomorrow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've not used nagios. For general monitoring, nmon which has a nice tie in with excel. But for ES I'd recommend either the free plugins like head & big desk or the ES plugin (free to Dev) of Marvel which gives an excellent state of the cluster/general server health.

Advertisement