Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€10M Facelift for City Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If you want to invest into the city facelift, then get rid of the junkies and the living walking dead and put enough Garda resources into the area.....also encourage businesses to expand all the way down to Smithfield area, the city is not just all around Connell Street

Smithfield? LOL, check what forum you're in. We're not talking about Dubbelin Towen herrre buud!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mire wrote: »
    At the moment, the city centre is akin to a tale of two cities. The Mall, palace, Viking Triangle is really top notch imo. the quality of buildings, public spaces, streetscape, heritage assets is fantastic and is a credit to the city. It's worth travelling to the city to visit that part of the city. The retail quarter at Broad St, Michael St., The Square, Arundel is mostly grim and really off-putting. What needs to happen, and what will happen I suspect is that the City will slowly but surely start to improve in quality - emanating from the Viking Triangle towards the city's retail core. The City authorities need to continue to beat the 'city centre' first drum. part of this will be to hold steadfast in not allowing any more high street/comparison retail anywhere outside the city centre - not in Ardkeen not in 6 cross roads, not in Butlerstown, not in Ferrybank (listen up KK Co Co). The one transformative thing to happen in the city in recent years is Winterval - which proved the theory that people and families actually want to come into the city centre. This momentum needs to be protected. This means being ruthlessly single - minded and promoting the city centre more than anywhere, because if the city centre works and succeeds, the whole city succeeds.

We should also remember the type of thinking during the Celtic Tiger that almost killed off the city centre forever; the Ferrybank SC and the equally ridiculous First City Quarter project on the Airport road. These projects had lots of 'pro-development-no-matter-where-it-was' voices supporting these things, even from within the city.

Anyway, €10 million is a lot of public space investment - I hope it look good!

The "doughnut" (doh-nut!) effect of the Tiger era developments was much discussed here at the time and sure enough it came to be, not that one should want warehouse type retailers in the centre of course but the emphasis on the periphery over the down-town with tax incentives and the lack of same for the centre plus issues like rocketing parking charges has done plenty of damage no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

iseegirls wrote: »
    Any links online, or a scan of the pictures?

Scans! too lazy for that, you will have to buy the paper old school like.

hardybuck wrote: »
    First off, I really welcome the move to clean up that area of the city. I was down there recently after not being there for a while, it looks pretty grotty as it is.

What I would say is I'm not 100% about the roof yet from the pictures I've seen. I admire the concept, especially if they want to make use of the market and outside dining more comfortable, but hopefully it isn't something which will look tacky in 7 or 8 years time. If they're investing money in building it, they also need to invest money in cleaning and maintaining it.

Yeah agree, but the work they have done on VT, river and quays looks real well, same fella involved as VT so he has done good work before. I wouldnt pay too much attention to images in paper, sometimes they are just thrown together to see what the concept looks like, often works out bit different but suppose often gives an impression what finished job will resemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orwellian

Part of Manor street . Bunkers Hill , Mayors walk, Stephen Street to be oneway and Colbeck street is to be pedestrianised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If you want to invest into the city facelift, then get rid of the junkies and the living walking dead and put enough Garda resources into the area.....also encourage businesses to expand all the way down to Smithfield area, the city is not just all around Connell Street

others have pointed out faults with your post but id be very grateful if you done some research on the causes of drug addiction. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    others have pointed out faults with your post but id be very grateful if you done some research on the causes of drug addiction. thank you

I think it's something to do with taking the drugs and then getting addicted to the feeling. But i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I think it's something to do with taking the drugs and then getting addicted to the feeling. But i'm not sure.

Yes, i think that is also the case, tis a no brainer really :rolleyes:

Yes, i think that is also the case, tis a no brainer really :rolleyes:

oh deary me!

hint: look into mental health problems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    oh deary me!

hint: look into mental health problems

Don't think you picked up on the sarcasm there...

• Advertisement

Don't think you picked up on the sarcasm there...

i ll give myself a whoosh there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/canopy-to-weatherproof-waterford-for-events-393760.html
    A canopy-style roof on a public section of Waterford’s city centre is part of a €17.3m urban renewal programme due to begin next month.

The canopy will be placed over the Apple Market at John St, adjacent to the southern end of the city’s main thoroughfare. It is aimed at “weatherproofing” it for year-round use to make it suitable for events, such as festivals and concerts.

It’s part of a two-year renewal programme funded by the Government, the European Regional Development Fund, and Waterford City and County Council. According to a statement from the council, the work “will improve both the functionality and appearance of much of the city centre”.

Public realm improvements with a combined budget of over €6.6m will focus on High St, Henrietta St, John St, Arundel Sq, Peter St, Colbeck St, Lady Lane, St Francis Place, Olaf St, and Michael St, with the centrepiece being the roof on the Apple Market.

Meanwhile, €5.945m will be invested on traffic management works and road improvements covering Railway Sq, Bath St, College St, Cork Rd, and Manor St/Parnell St from Railway Square to The Mall.

A further €3.3m will fund upgrade works on Hennessy’s Rd, Brown’s Lane, Castle St, Newgate St, College St, Manor Hill, Barrack St, Blake’s Lane, Convent Hill, New St, and John’s Lane, while €1.4m will be spent on upgrading New St, Mayor’s Walk, Stephen St, Bachelor’s Walk, Patrick St, John St, and Miller’s Marsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

I think making streets one-way will make a big difference. There is just no room for two way traffic on some streets, all it does is create bottlenecks. Don’t know if it made the final plan but the bus lane on Parnell St is a waste of time like the one in Newtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Remember when "It'd be a great country if you could only roof it" was just a joke?

JohnC. wrote: »
    Remember when "It'd be a great country if you could only roof it" was just a joke?

We should be world leaders in covering streets for ten months of the year with retractable roofing.
    Totally agree with previous post about streets too narrow for 2 way traffic, some of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Max Powers wrote: »
    We should be world leaders in covering streets for ten months of the year with retractable roofing.
    Totally agree with previous post about streets too narrow for 2 way traffic, some of them anyway.

Enforce a rule that any ****ty looking shop should be repainted and cleaned and you could clean up half of Waterford quick enough.

Paid for by the state of course.

Advertisement