Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby rabbit

Options
  • 14-05-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭

Found a baby rabbit in the field today when I stepped on him, I say he was attacked by something and I am wondering what to do with him. What would I feed him, I say he is only a couple of days old?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'd be fairly sure you found a leveret (young hare) as rabbits give birth in a den underground and wouldn't have any reason to be in a field at a few days old. They're also hairless at that age. Mamma Hare leaves them in a flattened patch of grass in the field and comes by to check on them intermittently throughout the day.

Did you bring it back with you?? I'd have left it where it was and let nature take its course.

Is this what you have?
    Baby%20Hare.jpg

This page may be of some help- http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/hare.html it gives guidelines for feeding/bedding etc.

I'd start with
    Rehydration solution – “1 pinch of sugar and 1 pinch of salt in 1 cup of warm water”
    if you really think it wouldn't survive being left back where you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

I left him where he is which is in the field next to the garden and he hasn't moved in last 4 hours

Think il leave it be and let nature take it's course

Advertisement