Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia VRS mods

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Update in this : icebox have agreed to issue a refund , so I think I'll go back to the original plan and just fit the RNS510 and the OEM bluetooth kit. It just looks like its less hassle at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

horgan_p wrote: »
    Update in this : icebox have agreed to issue a refund , so I think I'll go back to the original plan and just fit the RNS510 and the OEM bluetooth kit. It just looks like its less hassle at this stage.

Better solution to be honest. The Columbus is a good unit, hard drive is handy and integration with the MFD is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi Horgan p how much would a head unit of that type cost.

I would like to have the option to play mp3 or off the phone or sd card as I am sick of the area I am in that for 10 to 15 minutes I only get eastcoast fm:mad:

Not looking to spend a huge amount

If you're not looking to spend a huge amount I've bad news.

Expect to pay in or around 500 euros. That assumes a non stolen , working example.

That's second hand by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So I would guess all the ones for €160-€250 are Chinese and rubbish.

Is there any other way to add a aux port to existing radio(original)
    Thanks

depends on what car. theres a few solutions I looked at that take the place of a cd changer.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

RCD510s or RCD310s are cheaper. They dont have sat nav, but they have a build in hard drive to store music and an SD card slot. Think I sold my old one for around €250 a couple of years ago.

They're not as desirable, and most decent spec'd crashed cars would have them (at least VWs I look at always seem to have them and not the more desirable (more expensive) RNS510)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi Horgan p how much would a head unit of that type cost.

I would like to have the option to play mp3 or off the phone or sd card as I am sick of the area I am in that for 10 to 15 minutes I only get eastcoast fm:mad:

Not looking to spend a huge amount

Get a Bolero headunit.
    No Nav. But an excellent unit
    6 disc mp3 player in dash.
    SD card and super sound.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Skoda-Bolero-6-Disc-Cd-Player-Genuine-Touch-Screen-With-Code-Octavia-/301687904733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463e0019dd

Got the RNS-510 today (columbus) from someone in Ireland selling from a garage.
    The coding seemed to be a little tricky , but the guy installing seemed to think that the Skoda / VW original Bluetooth isn't a patch on the later Parrots the ones with the colour display and support streaming.
    Anyone here got the OEM kit that could comment ? I believe the hassle is with the install as opposed to anything else.

• Advertisement

I am on my 3rd vRS with oem bluetooth.
    Never had an issue and never had a complaint from anyone I would have been speaking to while using it.

Its possible he didn't want to do the install also , hence I'm asking here

OK , so I can fill in a small bit more info which should be handy for the next guy through the door.

1) Breakers yards have loads of Boleros. I was offered 3 or 4 over the phone on Friday for around €100 - €150.

2) Some breakers think the Bolero has GPS built in. It doesn't. No matter what they say.

3) partfinder.ie is handy for "putting feelers out" basically it sends a request to the breakers signed up to their system for whatever part you want. They email you back saying that johnny , jimmy and joey have this part in stock. Saves phone calls.

4) The only thing complicated about fitting the unit is coding the car to use it. Other than that its a walk in the park.

5) Be careful when coding the stereo to your car. The guy who coded mine thought I had a factory fitted amp (don't know why) , which meant that the stereo worked until the key was removed , then there was no sound from any source (stereo , parrot b/tooth). The car had to be returned to his place to recode out the amp.

As a result of this I've ordered my own Ross-Tech VCDS kit. I'm a tech nerd , and I hate not knowing whats going on with my car. It's expensive , but worth it to me. If anyone in Cork wants access to it , no problem - but you'll be doing your own coding until I'm 100% comfortable with it. No promises , no responsibility.

For my next trick , I'll be checking with breakers during the week for an OEM bluetooth controller , and order the cables new.

I do wish there was an easy way to upgrade to a multi function steering wheel though.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For my next trick , I'll be checking with breakers during the week for an OEM bluetooth controller , and order the cables new.

I do wish there was an easy way to upgrade to a multi function steering wheel though.

Just be sure the breakers car it comes out of hasnt had any water ingress since its crash. AFAIK the bluetooth module is under the drivers seat. A crashed Passat CC I was looking at had BT, but submerged in a few inches of water.

Yeah under the drivers seat is what I was told alright , that's why I'm buying the cables new.

So the VCDS cable arrived.

Needle sweep not available on pre facelift Octavia.
    not a huge big deal.
    Took a full auto sweep and backed it up. Just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

glad to hear of your experience with icebox autos . I was just about to order an android head unit for my vrs , but i may keep looking they seem to be a minefield.

Hey everyone , time has come to get the baby remapped. Recommendations around the Cork area please ?

I presume we're talking about going from 170BHP to 200 or thereabouts ?
    Any concerns regarding clutch etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Its worth getting it done right so a spin to Joe Power might be your best bet. The clutch should be fine as long as you're not booting it in the lower gears all the time but if it's the original clutch you'll definitely kill it off sooner.

Also with them they don't get the power down that well, so quality tyres are really necessary. I also wouldn't get too hung up on the max power figure, even if you didn't go that far a decent remapper should be able to improve the drivability no end.

The lads in Fermoy know what they are doing ;)
    Need new tyres to suit. I've heard Bridgestone Potenza's ??

• Advertisement

Did you go for the dpf delete as well?

I did indeed.
    Lukasz worked on her. Great guy , really knows his stuff.

I did indeed.
    Lukasz worked on her. Great guy , really knows his stuff.

Ya,
    it just comes naturally to them.
    Did you have any sneaky peep at their turbo BMW they are working on?
    3.0 petrol turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Did you get a BT module after? I upgraded my swing radio for the Bolero and I'm on the lookout for the oem bt which I think I'll put in myself. It doesn't look too difficult. Getting the mic into the interior light looks to be the most challenging part.

Not yet.I have a parrot CK3100 right now , but its on my list alright. In fact , after the tyres, its pretty much just the BT kit and new speakers.

I think the cable run will be easier than it looks.

Columbus unit for sale on Briskoda

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fielder90

HI Horgan_p I m looking to get my dpf removed and remapped the engine - 07 a4 avant black edition 170bhp 2.0 tdi. how did you find the lads in Fermoy and how has the car improved after?

Sound!!

Fielder90 wrote: »
    HI Horgan_p I m looking to get my dpf removed and remapped the engine - 07 a4 avant black edition 170bhp 2.0 tdi. how did you find the lads in Fermoy and how has the car improved after?

Sound!!

I can vouch for them and their work from having work done by them.

Had the e60 done by them
    dpf delete
    egr delete
    Swirl flap removal.

Remap

153 bhp > 196.6

240 lbft torque ( I think ) to 300.

That car was transformed.
    Much better fuel economy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fielder90

vectra wrote: »

Had the e60 done by them
    dpf delete
    egr delete
    Swirl flap removal.

thanks vectra - would you know how long it might take to remove the dpf and remap it.

also just as a general question is there much of a change of wrecking the turbo or the new clutch I put in with the increased power etc?

• Advertisement

Fielder90 wrote: »
    vectra wrote: »

Had the e60 done by them
    dpf delete
    egr delete
    Swirl flap removal.

thanks vectra - would you know how long it might take to remove the dpf and remap it.

also just as a general question is there much of a change of wrecking the turbo or the new clutch I put in with the increased power etc?

The thing is about these lads is they do not remap for all out power.
    They will take it to a safe level which will still be a big increase for you.
    As for the turbo. It should not wear out any faster than n normal car.
    Except that you drive it like a hooligan continuisly.

Will it wear out your new clutch?
    Not unless you drive it as above.
    You will not need to use the power so much in lower gears so this will result in less pressure on the clutch.

Advertisement