Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone with personal training background here?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/girls,

I am looking for a bit of advice as to what to actually do in the gym to tone and sculp. I am 28yrs, female,5ft 5 , and 11.4 St. I notice I have a lot of fat on my tricep area. When I worked with weights before I did gain a bit of bicep but I never really noticed my arms slimming. I'm not sure do I have loose skin, or am I not targeting that muscle. I kinda asked the pt who gave me a programme and he just shrugged off what I was asking. Don't really want to annoy him again. Does anyone have a good arm programme I could follow?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys/girls,

I am looking for a bit of advice as to what to actually do in the gym to tone and sculp. I am 28yrs, female,5ft 5 , and 11.4 St. I notice I have a lot of fat on my tricep area. When I worked with weights before I did gain a bit of bicep but I never really noticed my arms slimming. I'm not sure do I have loose skin, or am I not targeting that muscle. I kinda asked the pt who gave me a programme and he just shrugged off what I was asking. Don't really want to annoy him again. Does anyone have a good arm programme I could follow?
    Thanks

You should never feel like you don't want to annoy your PT by asking questions, and if he's shrugging off your questions, get rid of him as he's not worth the money.

There are a good few posters around here who are PT's so they might be able to help you more, but to address your queries, you won't be able to get rid of the fat in your arms unless you get rid of it around your body; you can't spot reduce fat, so try to lower your body fat%. If you try to lose some weight and get stronger in your upper body and arms, you'll look a lot better.

What exercises do you do for triceps?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

You should never feel like you don't want to annoy your PT by asking questions, and if he's shrugging off your questions, get rid of him as he's not worth the money.

There are a good few posters around here who are PT's so they might be able to help you more, but to address your queries, you won't be able to get rid of the fat in your arms unless you get rid of it around your body; you can't spot reduce fat, so try to lower your body fat%. If you try to lose some weight and get stronger in your upper body and arms, you'll look a lot better.

What exercises do you do for triceps?

Well he's like the guy who does your initial programme and then doesn't come back to check :))) ! Ya Im looking at needing to lose another stone to be in a healthy range but I feel that if I did lose that stone would those arms get worse. So I do tricep dips, tricep push down and dumbell extension . I feel I could do a lot more. I'd like a programme where I could target an area at one time and then move to a different muscle group.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well he's like the guy who does your initial programme and then doesn't come back to check :))) ! Ya Im looking at needing to lose another stone to be in a healthy range but I feel that if I did lose that stone would those arms get worse. So I do tricep dips, tricep push down and dumbell extension . I feel I could do a lot more. I'd like a programme where I could target an area at one time and then move to a different muscle group.

Why do you think your arm would get worse if you lost weight?
    It not loose skin, its just body fat. Doing arm exercises won't slim your arms down. You are better off working bigger muscle groups as you'll burn more energy.
    Above all else you'll need to sort your diet out. What's a typical days eating for you.

Mellor wrote: »
    Why do you think your arm would get worse if you lost weight?
    It not loose skin, its just body fat. Doing arm exercises won't slim your arms down. You are better off working bigger muscle groups as you'll burn more energy.
    Above all else you'll need to sort your diet out. What's a typical days eating for you.

My typical diet would be
    Weetabix or eggs for breakfast,
    No lunch or else il grab something bad
    Slimming world dinners
    Munchies at night. I know exactly where my diet is leaving me down. It's to get back on the wagon is killing me but il get it.
    When you say bigger muscles do you mean a variety of arm workouts? Then legs etc? I would put down a half hour cardio per gym session or a 45 min aerobic class. Should I focus more on cardio at the mo or incorporate weights and cardio? Like one day weights, one day cardio...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bigger muscle groups would be legs, for example. Working biceps and triceps is part of the overall picture but you'll burn more by involving exercises that involve bigger muscle groups.

But if you want to lose the fat on your arms, your diet needs to be sorted out. You need to put some effort into it in terms of planning. If you are going to have lunch, have something prepared. If you just decide to have lunch on a whim, then the majority of the time you're likely to pick an option that could/should be better.

And if nightime munchies are hampering you, remove some of the stuff you're eating. People who have munchies close at hand are more likely to dig into them mindlessly. Make it harder or remove them from the equation. Setting up your environment to help you out can have a big impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Weetabix and eggs are Hend. The rest is pretty awful, but I inagine you know that.
    By bigger muscles I meant back, legs, chest. Essentially workout your full body.
    I'd in corporate weights but akso keep up the cardio and classes.

Mellor wrote: »
    The Weetabix and eggs are Hend. The rest is pretty awful, but I inagine you know that.
    By bigger muscles I meant back, legs, chest. Essentially workout your full body.
    I'd in corporate weights but akso keep up the cardio and classes.

The rest is VERY awful. I'm aware about the diet, there's fruit in the house going off in front of me I can't bring myself to eat it but I know the diet part is essential. Starts today! I was just thinking did I have loose skin cause I'v never noticed a difference in my arms except getting biceps, I obviously gave up before I could get results. So does anyone think if I done say 30 mins cardio (or more) and one muscle group per session is that the best way to go about training. Legs one day, arms and chest another day , back etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

The reason you have munchies at night is probably because you aren't eating lunch. Would you ever think about preparing your lunch in advance so you're not tempted to reach for something bad. I'm afraid will power is your biggest enemy and you really just have to learn to control it. A good portion of weightloss comes from a good diet. Not sure how good those slimming world dinners are either.

The reason you have munchies at night is probably because you aren't eating lunch. Would you ever think about preparing your lunch in advance so you're not tempted to reach for something bad. I'm afraid will power is your biggest enemy and you really just have to learn to control it. A good portion of weightloss comes from a good diet. Not sure how good those slimming world dinners are either.

Hehehe was trying to avoid the diet part of things and just work out but yer right! The slimming world thing is low fat no oil cooking from scatch, no jars of sauce etc. now if I followed the plan throughout the whole day rather than dinners then I would be sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

The rest is VERY awful. I'm aware about the diet, there's fruit in the house going off in front of me I can't bring myself to eat it but I know the diet part is essential. Starts today! I was just thinking did I have loose skin cause I'v never noticed a difference in my arms except getting biceps, I obviously gave up before I could get results. So does anyone think if I done say 30 mins cardio (or more) and one muscle group per session is that the best way to go about training. Legs one day, arms and chest another day , back etc

I'd suggest looking at the strong lifts 5x5 program. Full body workout, doing compound lifts. Great for beginners, as there's an app for it and it's really straightforward.

Been doing it myself for 4 weeks now, and I'm finding it great.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hehehe was trying to avoid the diet part of things and just work out but yer right! The slimming world thing is low fat no oil cooking from scatch, no jars of sauce etc. now if I followed the plan throughout the whole day rather than dinners then I would be sorted !

That sounds fair enough. I would still say fat is ok if you count the calories
    I was worried you meant some kind of packaged dinner

Stuff your cooking with a mountain of veg then you won't wanna snack later. You can still use spices and stuff like we were saying in the obesity thread I think

Low fat can often mean high carb. High carb can often mean you're hungry later.

I don't know an awful lot about slimming world so I'm not going to post negatively about it as if it encourages healthy eating and workd for you then that's wat counts, but I would be concerned with any diet that allows you to eat an unlimited amount of carbs once you have a particular amount of veg. I may have misinterpreted what the diet is though and I apologise if that's the case.

Fat isn't the enemy I think is what I'm trying badly to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Weetabix or eggs for breakfast,

replace weetabix with oats, cook eggs in extra virgin coconut oil, no bread

No lunch or else il grab something bad

Eat a homemade lunch, salad or something with a lot of chicken/beef/fish and vegetables, no store prepackaged rubbish find a few recipies online

Slimming world dinner

Get out of the slimming world habit, its unnecessary, it takes 20 minutes to steam some veg, sweet potato and meat/fish...get cooking

Munchies at night. I know exactly where my diet is leaving me down.

Eat a bit of fage 0% greek yoghurt with some natural peanut butter as a late night snack

Kick your bad habits and learn to eat and train correctly, there are no excuses for grown adults not fueling their bodies properly. If you do the above and watch your portion sizes you should start to see improvements in body composition

GunnerBlue wrote: »
    I'd suggest looking at the strong lifts 5x5 program. Full body workout, doing compound lifts. Great for beginners, as there's an app for it and it's really straightforward.

Been doing it myself for 4 weeks now, and I'm finding it great.

:)

Really? Iv never head of that? Il start googling there. Have u the apps name? Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, the slimmimg world thing is just something that kinda worked for me , just the concept of it. All meals are made from scratch there's no microwave meals etc. but I know where yer coming from. Iv lost a stone over the last three months, although I could have lost more if I stuck to it!

Really what I wanted to know is about toning up but I gather from everyone that I need to stick to the healthy eating and the training will show eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Really what I wanted to know is about toning up but I gather from everyone that I need to stick to the healthy eating and the training will show eventually.

Toning will happen as a result of a combination of a decent diet and exercising.

**found that app.
    Thanks for all the info

Advertisement