Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Landlords to get new tax relief in rental shake-up

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Nothing stopping them doing that right now. In fact, it's the short term nature of tenancies and house ownership culture that promotes renting as a tool for young people's housing that leads furnished apartments as these people are less likely to have their own furniture.

That's true I suppose. Maybe it's more about changing people's mindset and not relying on a landlord to supply everything from a sofa to a spoon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

aido79 wrote: »
    That's true I suppose. Maybe it's more about changing people's mindset and not relying on a landlord to supply everything from a sofa to a spoon.

Well if the government are serious about this long term renting, then I can see many more unfurnished places coming onto the market. Or at least, the landlord will give the option of either/or.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who, with the right system, would take an unfurnished apartment and treat as their own home and build up their own stock of furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jarmstrong001

Tenants who refuse to pay and cause damage or naissance should be easier to de al with. At the moment à tenant can stay à long time without paying. Maybe an insurance scheme

It would seem like a massively socially regressive step to simultaneously introduce measures which make it easier for the landlords to collect rent on properties they have mortgaged from the banks without making repayments and without any fear of repossession at the same time as measures to reduce the security of tenure for tenants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It would seem like a massively socially regressive step to simultaneously introduce measures which make it easier for the landlords to collect rent on properties they have mortgaged from the banks without making repayments and without any fear of repossession at the same time as measures to reduce the security of tenure for tenants.

There is separate legislation being enacted to forfeit any BTL properties that are in arrears to lenders- and have local authorities take them on as social housing.

It is being dealt with- just not in this particular piece of legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

From what I remember when I was renting in Brussels, 30 years ago, There were 2 types of tenancies. the first long term, renewed every 3 years, index linked and unfurnished. Some people rented the same property for their whole lives. You could break the tenancy every 3 years. The second was short term accommodation. It was furnished and for 1 year. It was also more expensive and was aimed at workers relocating and tended to be the high end of the market. My parents have lived in Belgium since the late 50's and have always rented. They are both elderly now and have moved to smaller and larger places according to the size of our family. One thing that is very popular, is most people have a weekend retreat that they own. It can be an apartment at the seaside, a chalet or cottage in the countryside, etc. So every Friday night, families pack up, go to the countryside and come back on Sunday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

On the flips of the "amateur landlord" thing, I would hope that they'd give greater powers for the PTRB to assist with the speedy eviction of problematic tenants too.

A system I think that should be introduced is tying PRTB decisions to the address. So if you see a load of complaints about the LL, or a load of complaints that are not upheld by the PRTB against the tenants from the LL you know you're dealing with a nut. The same database could keep information that the property had been sold on.

Similarly when checking the previous address of a prospective tenant one could see if there had ever been a PRTB decision against them.

This might go someway to redressing the lack of credit referencing system, but also level the playing field for tenants. It would also become the standard to check if a property was registered with the PRTB before moving in.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Well if the government are serious about this long term renting, then I can see many more unfurnished places coming onto the market. Or at least, the landlord will give the option of either/or.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who, with the right system, would take an unfurnished apartment and treat as their own home and build up their own stock of furniture.

I live in Australia so I'm used to the unfurnished model. It works well as the tenant can chose their own furniture and as you say they treat it as their own home. If and when they move they bring everything with them to their new house. The landlord doesn't have to worry about things like a broken washing machine or bed because it is the tenants problem and the tenant doesn't have to deal with a landlord who supplies furniture that isn't fit for purpose. Rent is usually more expensive in a furnished house here(if you can find one).

• Administrators Posts: 53,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

hmmm wrote: »
    We need to get rid of the culture of amateur landlords with one or two properties, and move to a culture where companies or housing associations are the landlords - only then will we see consistent, professional landlords. Unfortunately there are so many vested interests who are those types of landlords (including many TDs), I just can't see it passing.

This raises an interesting point for me.

In the area I live in, within about a half mile radius at least 50% of the rental apartments are all owned and let by the same company.

Given that the acceptable rent rate is driven by the rate in the area, doesn't this give one company undue influence over rates if they can manipulate a large % of the rates in the area themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

how landlords pay for their properties is of no concern to tenants

big assumption that landlords make no repayments on borrowed money

security of tenure would not be reduced if the tenants pays what they said they would

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

how landlords pay for their properties is of no concern to tenants

big assumption that landlords make no repayments on borrowed money

security of tenure would not be reduced if the tenants pays what they said they would

In any event- the proposal is to fast track the confiscation of properties from landlords who have delinquint loans outstanding on them. Its being floated as a way for local authorities to replenish their stocks of social housing at a discount to open market prices (presumably- the banks would have to allow them be transferred to local authority ownership at a discount to omsp).

If this is done- in conjunction with a continued tenancy by the pre-existing tenant- its wholly immaterial to the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

awec wrote: »
    This raises an interesting point for me.

In the area I live in, within about a half mile radius at least 50% of the rental apartments are all owned and let by the same company.

Given that the acceptable rent rate is driven by the rate in the area, doesn't this give one company undue influence over rates if they can manipulate a large % of the rates in the area themselves?

Indeed, and the rise of such Investment Trusts is one of the reasons we need this proposed legislation.

Advertisement