Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness watches?

Options
  • 12-05-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am looking to get a watch that would track heart rate, steps covered, calories burned etc when im out for a run or even just playing astro etc.

Can anyone recommend a good watch to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Fitbit Charge HR is a good option. I've had one since February or so and I quite like it. The Android app is a little buggy, which would be my only real complaint. It is perfect for resting heart beat, very good for running/biking, but it hasn't a clue what's going on when I do weights - I presume because of the irregular motion and constant fluctuation in heart rate from all the sets/resting, and I think that's something that any wrist-based heart rate monitor is going to have.

Gives total steps, floors climbed, estimated caloric burn (which does seem to change dramatically whether I've had an active day vs a couch day). It also has sleep monitoring (though doesn't claim to go into detail on REM vs other kinds of sleep, which I am ok with because I strongly suspect that any commercial product claiming to do so is just making huge guesses).

Oddly enough my favourite feature is the silent alarm clock: it vibrates on your wrist, which is much more pleasant than an auditory alarm.

The Fitbit Surge is a much fancier watch that does all the same stuff and is also a full blown smart-watch (and looks like a watch, the Charge looks like a wrist strap), but it is a hell of a lot more expensive. Also chunkier, which I didn't like.

There are tons of products in this category though, which I can't comment on.

Advertisement