Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workout routines that are easy on the knees

Options
  • 11-05-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I recently had an operation on one of my knees and it's still recovering. I want to begin an exercise routine to add more muscle, especially upper body. But obviously I can't put too much pressure on my knee so squats and the like would appear to be out. I have access to a limited gym with some weight machines (shoulder press etc), a dumbbell set, and one of those free weight type machines (with a bench and somewhere to hang the bar). Any suggestions appreciated. Also it would help if it were for beginners.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm really looking for strength building routines. I don't want to be the Hulk or anything, but have lost a lot of weight and am a tad on the puny side for my size. I want to go about it in a structured manner rather than just devising my own off the top of my head. Problem is, I'm not very well versed in this kind of thing. So ideally I'd be looking for a beginners muscle building programme that's easy on the knees; failing that, any good beginners programme and I could tailor it to suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

German volume training.

Oh Wait. Oops. This isn't opposite land.

Upper body ftw

Swimming, cycling, cross trainers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

German volume training.

Oh Wait. Oops. This isn't opposite land.

Upper body ftw

Swimming, cycling, cross trainers

Thanks, but should have made it more clear that I'm looking to bulk up (weights etc) rather than cardio work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Take a regular body building or strength training workout, and just skip leg day. You're recovering from surgery, you get a pass on this.

Make sure you keep doing your physio for your knee, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭shannonman81

I had an op last August on my knee(screw inserted) lots of recovery time, three months to be precise. Was back in the gym after and did my usual upper body stuff but on leg day I started with body weight squats then gradually brought in weights, light dumbbells, kettlebells mixed with lunges again bodyweight first and then up the weight.

I'm now squatting 70kg for reps(which I know is peanuts but it's massive for me) but it's been a long road. Listen to your body, take your time, the last thing you'd want is a relapse. If it's sore then stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Go to your physio for advice regarding lower body training. Nobody can assess you current capacity over the internet.

Do an upper body program in tandem with rehab work (from physio).
    Something like;
    • Smolov Jr
    • The Cube Predator Bench cycle
    • Whatever-you-want upper body program

• Advertisement
Advertisement