Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga and/or Pilates?

Options
  • 10-05-2015 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi folks

Hoping someone here can help me.
    My Consultant has told me I should look into yoga and/or pilates for a back problem I have.
    Unfortunately I'm quite limited with regard to transport so I am looking for a way of doing it at home.
    Does anyone have a recommendation of any yoga and/or pilates tutorials available on YouTube or anywhere else online?
    Would you recommend yoga over pilates or vice versa?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Allan Menezes videos on youtube. His dvds were out of date (unless he has released something in the last year) but the pregnancy one is still good (even for non-pregnant people) so you could get that. -This is what my pilates teacher cousin recommended before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

YurOK2 wrote: »
    Hi folks

Hoping someone here can help me.
    My Consultant has told me I should look into yoga and/or pilates for a back problem I have.
    Unfortunately I'm quite limited with regard to transport so I am looking for a way of doing it at home.
    Does anyone have a recommendation of any yoga and/or pilates tutorials available on YouTube or anywhere else online?
    Would you recommend yoga over pilates or vice versa?

Thanks.

Recommended for me also and today I went to my first ever Yoga class. Simply Wonderful; will certainly be returning.

I know you ask for online video/info/tuition etc but I have to recommend you attend at least one class first. It's one thing reading or watching a clip online, and quite another seeing 1st-hand and the interaction first-hand with others around you with ensuring you're doing the poses correctly.
    Correctly is vital for obvious reasons exp if you have an injury you want to inprove and not worsen.

I might try a Pilates class, but if not, then plenty of yoga both individually and in groups available around at varying days & times.
    Pilates is derived in some ways from Yoga so perhaps start with Yoga and work from there?!

Also have a look at the Yoga & Pilates forum right here for more info.

Best of Luck,
    Hope you're feeling better soon :)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

I second the above recommendation to try to go to a class. Pilates can be tricky to get the whole core/powerhouse-engagement working at the beginning. And with yoga, it's hard to know if you're doing the asanas correctly. Online resources are good, but really only if you know the basics, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I would order DDP yoga.

I've heard quite a few excellent reviews of it.

Advertisement