Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone here holiday alone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Haha, when I told the people in my office I was going to Rome by myself and thinking of staying in someone's house (air bnb) they nearly passed out with the shock! Then I got a lecture about safety, travelling alone, being mugged etc...
    I'm not saying more anything about it to them, keeping my plans to myself because I don't really want or need the negativity.

Air BnB is actually something that would give me pause. There have been people attacked on both sides of it because you simply don't know who you're inviting into your house, or into whose house you'll be going.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Yes, only recently in fact.

I was starting to let work get on top of me, and was having a few relationship difficulties with my partner. Decided to pack my suitcase and head back to Ireland for a week. Spent a few days travelling around Kerry - hiking, sea swimming, cycling, eating seafood.

Then headed over to West Cork for a 3 day mindfulness retreat. Deep meditation, no Internet or phone, no talking, and most importantly, no incessant nagging.

Didn't cure you of your own infernal dronings though, did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Haha, when I told the people in my office I was going to Rome by myself and thinking of staying in someone's house (air bnb) they nearly passed out with the shock! Then I got a lecture about safety, travelling alone, being mugged etc...
    I'm not saying more anything about it to them, keeping my plans to myself because I don't really want or need the negativity.

Same here. I don't give away much. I can't understand the negativity a lot of people have about it. I don't question anybody who goes abroad just to sit in an Irish bar and get pissed when you could do that here. If that's what they want let them at it.
    scdublin wrote: »
    Why? There's loads of people in their 30's who still go clubbing in Ibiza and the likes. Never really understood why it's considered weird at a certain age. Maybe it's because a lot of people that age are settling down having kids, getting married etc but that's not for everyone either.

It depends on the place too I reckon. My local nightclub, (its closed now) but it always had a more mature crowd on a Saturday night. Then there's Time in Naas for example which is full of teeny boppers and anybody over 25 is a dinosaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

It depends on the place too I reckon. My local nightclub, (its closed now) but it always had a more mature crowd on a Saturday night. Then there's Time in Naas for example which is full of teeny boppers and anybody over 25 is a dinosaur.

That's true yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

eternal wrote: »
    I've been abroad a lot on my own. PM me if you need advice, I couldn't be bothered writing about it.
    What's the point in sending you a PM if you're not going to write anything?

Always go alone, whenever I go on holidays with people I know I seem to spend half the day waiting around for people. It's much better to go alone and do as you please, it's a real holiday.

Stay in hostels and once people find out your Irish they'll drag you everywhere using your nationality as an excuse to party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

ScumLord wrote: »

Always go alone, whenever I go on holidays with people I know I seem to spend half the day waiting around for people. It's much better to go alone and do as you please, it's a real holiday.

Stay in hostels and once people find out your Irish they'll drag you everywhere using your nationality as an excuse to party.

Haha yes, in my experience, being Irish when abroad alone can be a great advantage :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

To give the person advice as stated which I did eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wondering Sunflower

Hi, I'm new on here, didn't know how to post my own thread and found this discussion. I'm heading off on my own for a weekend to a busy town in Ireland during the busy summer months, going to stay in a hotel and do active stuff while I'm away, walking, cycling etc. I've never gone away on my own before. Would it seem odd to others at where I'm staying if I'm eating on my own etc. Just wondering what people's thoughts on it would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Delighted to read this thread
    I'm in my 30s. Widowed three months and have no kids. All my friends have kids and no time or money for that get away.
    I would love to see a bit of the world. Looked at adventure tour groups but seems a big step for me right now.
    I am thinking of booking a night away for myself in a posh hotel and spa. Have gone through hell the past few months. Kinda dreading being in my own in case something happens to me. I still think I will try a wee break away. It will be the first time in years away from my husband who sadly won't be with me.

Hi, I'm new on here, didn't know how to post my own thread and found this discussion. I'm heading off on my own for a weekend to a busy town in Ireland during the busy summer months, going to stay in a hotel and do active stuff while I'm away, walking, cycling etc. I've never gone away on my own before. Would it seem odd to others at where I'm staying if I'm eating on my own etc. Just wondering what people's thoughts on it would be?

Not at all, and even if they do, so what? You'll probably never see them again. Go go it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Being in a strange country with even stranger people all on your lonesome? Couldn't think of anything worse to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Delighted to read this thread
    I'm in my 30s. Widowed three months and have no kids. All my friends have kids and no time or money for that get away.
    I would love to see a bit of the world. Looked at adventure tour groups but seems a big step for me right now.
    I am thinking of booking a night away for myself in a posh hotel and spa. Have gone through hell the past few months. Kinda dreading being in my own in case something happens to me. I still think I will try a wee break away. It will be the first time in years away from my husband who sadly won't be with me.

I'm sorry to hear that but definitely do it! The most important relationship that you'll ever have is with yourself, and a spa would be perfect for some TLC and relaxation for yourself.

I go traveling multiple times a year across the world on my own; my friends are either in college, broke, or in relationships and the (usually GFs) have an issue with their other half going away. Life is too short to be held back by fear guys :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Sometimes I genuinely consider taking out a loan just to book myself into a health spa/spa resort for a good week.

No phone. No earphones. No company. Just myself and a book by the vitality pool = bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i want ****ing hash

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Being in a strange country with even stranger people all on your lonesome? Couldn't think of anything worse to be honest.

Can't be much worse than being in a familiar country full of even stranger people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I went to Lanzarote 2 years ago on my own. Spent 10 days there, and loved every second of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Stick to confining yourself to your comfort zone then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Personally no I would usually prefer someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Some of my best holliers were before I married. Deadly exciting, lots of leg-over, the dynamics of a new mating and the can't keep my hands off you time.
    Grab it while you can. Before you get grabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

This drives me mad when I go on holidays with friends who just want to stay in bed. Once I went for a long walk in the morning thinking they'd be up when I got back, so we could go to a museum we'd talked about the night before. I got back around 2pm and there was still snoring going on!

I'm happy enough if there are plenty of places within walking distance to go and have a quiet beer/ coffee by myself.

More recently I've been taking 4-7 day city breaks by myself. I've done Lisbon, Rome, Krakow, as well as bits of the Camino de Santiago. Also, Lorient this August for the Interceltique festival. The list of future places I plan to visit by myself is as long as my arm! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Aglomerado wrote: »
    This drives me mad when I go on holidays with friends who just want to stay in bed. Once I went for a long walk in the morning thinking they'd be up when I got back, so we could go to a museum we'd talked about the night before. I got back around 2pm and there was still snoring going on!

I'm happy enough if there are plenty of places within walking distance to go and have a quiet beer/ coffee by myself.

More recently I've been taking city breaks by myself. I've done Lisbon, Rome, Krakow, as well as bits of the Camino de Santiago. Also, Lorient this August for the Interceltique festival. The list of future places I plan to visit by myself is as long as my arm! :D

I had the same experience. Got up, went for breakfast, did some sightseeing, went back to the hotel about lunchtime and they were still asleep. Left a message basically saying 'Fck the lot of ye' and went off to do my own thing for the rest of the day. Much happier by myself when I don't have to be waiting on other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone here holiday alone? I'm in my late 20s and anxious to take a sun holiday this summer to Greece, but for one reason or another friends, etc. cannot go. Do people here ever go on holidays alone? Does it get lonely? Would a guy alone be weird going clubbing etc?!

I would always travel solo when possible. Been around the world 3 times and have met countless people that I wouldn't have had I been part of a large group.

As a solo traveller it's easier to meet other travellers as ironically solo travellers tend to stick together and would generally avoid a large group of friends who sometimes create an impenetrable wall around them.

Spur-of-the-moment decision changes and not having to coordinate with someone else is one of the main benefits, plus you have lots of good tales to tell when you meet up with your mates back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

mrcheez wrote: »
    I would always travel solo when possible. Been around the world 3 times and have met countless people that I wouldn't have had I been part of a large group.

As a solo traveller it's easier to meet other travellers as ironically solo travellers tend to stick together and would generally avoid a large group of friends who sometimes create an impenetrable wall around them.

Spur-of-the-moment decision changes and not having to coordinate with someone else is one of the main benefits, plus you have lots of good tales to tell when you meet up with your mates back home.
    A bit o/t but when you say "been around the world", I always have to ask how people do this? I find one week holidays such as skiing or a couple of weeks interrailing utterly exhausting. How did you travel and did it cost a fortune?

Thargor wrote: »
    A bit o/t but when you say "been around the world", I always have to ask how people do this? I find one week holidays such as skiing or a couple of weeks interrailing utterly exhausting. How did you travel and did it cost a fortune?

Yeah I've often wondered about that too, and also, how much of the world they've actually seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As a family man with a very limited amount of free-time and disposable cash I don't really get to do it any more (would feel guilty depriving the kids of a holiday to go on one myself) but I loved the holidays I took on my own. The hostels really are the key to it imo, in a hotel, you're unlikely to meet many fellow travellers where as in a hostel it's pretty much mandatory to join in the party at least some of the time.

I reckon a week in a generic beach holiday resort on my own would be pretty miserable for me tbh. I'm not the most out-going and can be a bit socially awkward at times so it'd involve an awful lot of time just wandering around, reading and eating way too much. In a city environment or more cultural destination (e.g. Split in Croatia, Amalfi Coast in Italy) where there's plenty to do and see, I'm in my element. The hostels being such social places, it really doesn't take much effort for even a naturally shy person to find a group to enjoy a few drinks with in the evening and often to go see things the next day... I once went to see the Russian State Ballet doing The Nutcracker in the Vienna Opera House with a Welsh student, a Texan magician and a sheep farmer from New Zealand!

Would love to go do more solo-travel but it'll have to wait for the finances to improve significantly and the kids to be a bit older!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah I've often wondered about that too, and also, how much of the world they've actually seen.

Saved up lots and travelled cheaply, came back broke after 18 months. Rinse and repeat!

Can't say I'm doing the same now that I have a mortgage :(

How much have I seen? Jesus dunno. All of the Americas / half of Africa / all of SEA / Oz / NZ / half of mid-East / India / most of Europe.

Thinking China / Japan next, but these days I mostly just take a relaxing sun holiday somewhere like Spain :rolleyes:

Sleepy wrote: »
    As a family man with a very limited amount of free-time and disposable cash I don't really get to do it any more (would feel guilty depriving the kids of a holiday to go on one myself) but I loved the holidays I took on my own. The hostels really are the key to it imo, in a hotel, you're unlikely to meet many fellow travellers where as in a hostel it's pretty much mandatory to join in the party at least some of the time.

+1 - hostels are the best for solo travellers! I'm quite introverted but I find if I force myself to sit in the communal areas I get talking to people easily enough.
    Sometimes you can get hostels that organise events for guests, pub crawls, sangria nights etc. Joining these is always good!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am going to travel on my own for the first time. Partner is going on a boys only golfing trip later in the year, so I decided I would do something myself. I am hoping to fly into Naples, get the train to Sorrento and base myself there. I can get to Pompeii, Positano and Capri etc. from there. Sounds idyllic with plenty to see and do.

BUT I am a bit nervous. Well excited but terrified I must be honest. Anyway, as a more ahem....mature in age person I decided on an hotel.

But having read some of your posts here, I would love the idea of a hostel (I would need my own room, I snore like hell and I wouldn't inflict that on anyone!) so would anyone be able to recommend a website for hostels that they have used, and found ok.

I suppose it would be OK to use a hostel when I am waaaaay past my twenties now. or would I feel awkward or anything?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Thanks.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Saved up lots and travelled cheaply, came back broke after 18 months. Rinse and repeat!

Can't say I'm doing the same now that I have a mortgage :(

How much have I seen? Jesus dunno. All of the Americas / half of Africa / all of SEA / Oz / NZ / half of mid-East / India / most of Europe.

Thinking China / Japan next, but these days I mostly just take a relaxing sun holiday somewhere like Spain :rolleyes:

Yes poor you. :D

• Advertisement

I am going to travel on my own for the first time. Partner is going on a boys only golfing trip later in the year, so I decided I would do something myself. I am hoping to fly into Naples, get the train to Sorrento and base myself there. I can get to Pompeii, Positano and Capri etc. from there. Sounds idyllic with plenty to see and do.

BUT I am a bit nervous. Well excited but terrified I must be honest. Anyway, as a more ahem....mature in age person I decided on an hotel.

But having read some of your posts here, I would love the idea of a hostel (I would need my own room, I snore like hell and I wouldn't inflict that on anyone!) so would anyone be able to recommend a website for hostels that they have used, and found ok.

I suppose it would be OK to use a hostel when I am waaaaay past my twenties now. or would I feel awkward or anything?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Thanks.
    I thought I would be the oldest in the hostel I stayed in in Krakow. (35 at the time). But there were a few grey haired folk in the communal areas!
    I did pay extra for a private room, though, I like my comforts! Dormitories for the Camino Albergues only!

Hostelworld is the main one I use.

Advertisement