Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate - Taking the P!ss??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Indeed. Its just a pity the OP is such a doormat. €650 per month for that without saying a word? Dear god, if you are prepared to spend €650 per month there are loads of options out there, absolutely no need whatsoever to live like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Indeed. Its just a pity the OP is such a doormat. €650 per month for that without saying a word? Dear god, if you are prepared to spend €650 per month there are loads of options out there, absolutely no need whatsoever to live like that.

Well I hope he acts, and the poor dog, I can't stand irresponsible selfish Dog owners ... as if a dog can be switched on and off.

dick head.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's it. Unreal what some people agree to without question. My ma used have a saying; "if you want to be a doormat, you'll be treated like one...". So true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Or has a dog. I'd be amazed if any apartment landlord would be ok with having a dog in his/her property. Never mind the management company.

I'd be getting the hell out of there, and reporting him to the DSPCA (for the dog's sake, not getting at yer man - who sounds like a right bundle of unpleasantness with whom I would most definitely not want to share an apartment!).

Most likely the LL and the management company do not allow pets as most apartment buildings don't they do the odd time bend the rules for a cat but not for a dog and if its barking it would be disturbing the other residents in the building the DSPCA will do nothing because the dog is not being abused in any form I can tell you that as I am involved in rescue yes the situation is not good for the dog but its not abuse, I would find out who the management company are you should see signs or poster in the building with telling you who they are and contact details, report him and they will do something about the dog but tell them to keep you anon as for the rest of the problems you will have to speak up for yourself and man up or move out that would be what I would do sounds like he wont change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thank God I no longer rent, but Jaysus, I lived with some awful tools over the 15 odd years that I did rent... they were feckin grim days!!

That sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach walking in the door, anticipating a row or dealing with the 'silent treatment', jostling for the cooker, the couch or the remote control. Wondering would you get to watch 'your' programme tonight.

Dealing with

- smelly socks
    - Women afflicted with 'hormonal' madness
    - who's turn it is to clean the jacks?
    - Post-its in the kitchen warning you to wash the dishes or ELSE!!!
    - Writing your name on your food in the fridge, but still finding your milk is gone
    - Who used the last of the bog roll ?
    - People messing with your 'stuff'
    - or coming home to find your room door open and signs that somebody had obviously been in there

The old saying .. "to know me, come live with me"

Hope OP sorts out the situation he finds himself in .. I suggest, GET OUT and be wiser next time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Hi OP is 650 per month far below market rent for a room with an ensuite?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JacquesSon

The flatmate the OP describes sounds familiar. I encountered one in similar circumstances, he worked in the same company as some friends of mine so you'd think he'd be wary of acting the cock, but this is the default setting of some people.

I'm well able to express myself when I'm not happy but it just got tiresome to exert my basic requirements of living without them suggesting I'd overstepped the mark, the sneaky tactic of playing the victim when you stand up for yourself. People like this need to be avoided.

If anyone is in the OP's position you should never accept an uneven spilt of rent like that, unless you're completely happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Hi OP is 650 per month far below market rent for a room with an ensuite?

Its €50 more than I'm paying for a massive room with ensuite in a townhouse, just off the main street of a really nice southside suburb about 20 minutes bus ride from the City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

Leave if you don't like it. Life is too short to put up with that kind of ****! Let him struggle to pay the rent by himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

That sounds like an absolute nightmare and totally out of order. Unfortunately, the only person you can change in this situation is yourself. So you either, put up with this ape or you bale.

As another poster said, life's too short.

You could try this before you do. Tell him that as he has the bathroom , the nice bedroom, and the sitting room basically to himself and you only have your bedroom then he should be paying 75% of the rent. But given that he has the disgusting dog aswell then you'd want another 10% off. So, he pays 85% and you pay 15%. If he doesn't agree then leave. He sounds revolting anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

In his reluctance to hand over LL details, I wonder is he subletting himself, similar situation to the OP and doesn't want to get caught out! Seems to be going to lengths to avoid any contact with LL atall for fear of a price increase.

OP you aren't signed in to a lease, use this time to find somewhere more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

The OP hasn't been back to update this thread in over three months, there's no point speculating on the outcome in their absence. Thread closed. OP if you return to this thread to update, please PM me or one of the other A&P mods to reopen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement