Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements to work as a PT or Fitness Instructor

Options
  • 10-05-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just doing a comparison study.

Was wondering whether Ireland has any legal requirements that allow people to work as a Personal Trainer or Fitness Instructor?

In Australia we don't but a friend was telling me that in Ireland you have to have a formal qualification which is vetted and you have to register with some body and obtain CPDs to remain current. Australia has this system but it's an honorary one as the industry is not regulated.

I understood the same thing applied to Ireland. (I couldn't find any regulations for the Irish fitness industry online).

Is that right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think your friend is mistaken.
    In ireland, the title isnt protected. There is no body that you have to register with to work as a PT. There are voluntary professional bodies (REPs), with their own qualification/CPD requirements. But they don't do vetting of applicants. You don't necessarily have to get on the register to work as a PT afaik. All you really need is adequate insurance.

As far as I can tell, the situation in australia is essentially the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Thanks Mellor!

I did find one training institution that had the entry requirement as having to have a Leaving Cert and I was like whaaaaat? For a PT? But everyone else seemed to be the same as it is here in Australia.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Fake tan and a singlet or alternatively a tee shirt which is too small are required. Also skin tight leggings for the females.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

jive wrote: »
    Fake tan and a singlet or alternatively a tee shirt which is too small are required. Also skin tight leggings for the females.
    I feel that list of requirements is too short

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Transform wrote: »
    I feel that list of requirements is too short

Forgot a blog, facebook page, twitter and instagram account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

cc87 wrote: »
    Forgot a blog, facebook page, twitter and instagram account.

oh yes

some chubby has done a before and after pic

still looks fat but in the 2nd pic he has held is breath in

all thanks to his FOREVER c9 diet

pm for more details and 1-1 training sessions

think ill pass for now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Found a fake nail on the lifting platform today

I've added it to the list of requirements

Advertisement