Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought an unregistered car in the UK, what now

Options
  • 10-05-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I bought a 2011 A5 Sportback 2.0 TDI off a main dealer in the Kent, UK. The car is an reputedly an ex demonstrator with one further owner who bought an traded in with the same garage.

Two questions:
    - Would I be foolish to buy without an AA/RAC check?
    - What are my options to get it over here? I'm thinking by truck is my only option. I have considered going via the channel tunnel / rosslare and taking a short holiday in France if this is an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to consider insurance. Might be hassle driving a UK reg car in France on your irish policy.
    I'm not sure what you mean by unregistered, but if it's not taxed then the AA/rac won't even test drive it for you. As a minimum you should be doing/have already done a full history check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's showing up on the DVLA as MOTed and taxed, but the dealer says it is not taxed. The only explanation I can think of is that they did an SORN in the last 5 days. I do find this strange but it's not like they are trying to hide anything, it just seems like they are out of their comfort zone. Maybe they think I am dodgy and don't want me driving the car up to Holyhead on the previous owners registration getting speeding tickets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ballooba wrote: »
    It's showing up on the DVLA as MOTed and taxed, but the dealer says it is not taxed. The only explanation I can think of is that they did an SORN in the last 5 days. I do find this strange but it's not like they are trying to hide anything, it just seems like they are out of their comfort zone. Maybe they think I am dodgy and don't want me driving the car up to Holyhead on the previous owners registration getting speeding tickets etc.

The tax expires when you buy/sell a car in the UK these days.

Have you done a history check?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The dealer saying its not taxed, because there's a new tax system in place where the new owner has to tax it before driving it.

Tax doesn't carry over anymore and discs have been abolished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 TheBigSmoke

Hi Ballooba

If the car is in the UK it is no longer taxed

They changed the law a few months back that when you sell a car with tax left over you get a refund

The New Owner needs to get the car taxed all over again.This also includes change of ownership within families. They have also got rid of Tax discs in the UK because they are expensive to print

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

That's an interesting question OP asked.
    I wonder how are people supposed to drive back home after buying in UK anymore after change of legislation.

When I was buying a car in UK 2 years ago, if you bought a car with tax, it would be valid until expiry so you could drive the car.
    Car I was buying had no tax unfortunately, and there was no option to pay it (as to pay it you need to have UK insurance policy which obviously I didn't have and as non-uk resident couldn't purchase) I had to chance it and drive car without tax. Worked well for me, but might but might not work for someone else.
    However at least there used to be an option to buy a car which is already taxed.

Now there isn't, so either chance it, or get it tower which might be expensive activity.

You can tax a car in the post office, over the phone, or online. I'd imagine the dealer could do this for you.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can tax a car in the post office, over the phone, or online. I'd imagine the dealer could do this for you.

My understanding is that you need a valid UK insurance policy on that car to be able to tax it, whether it's over the phone, online or post office.
    Also after legislation change, it's probably impossible to tax it by someone who is not UK resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Streak101

If you need to tax for transportation purposes, can you get 7 days or a month only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

if it's audi main dealer, you will have warranty in ireland as well.

one you have the insurance done, just drive it to holyhead, should be fine.

UK motorways are very busy, you seldom stopped by a police if it's a normal car. I just did that in Jan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding was that UK dealers were not allowed to let the car leave their forecourt without them being taxed. Not saying the dealer has to tax it but it is required to be taxed by someone before it can be sold and driven off their premises. Might be worth asking the dealer to tax it on your behalf too.

Also the motorways have many ANPR cameras, not sure I'd take the chance of being detected and pulled for no tax if I was trying to make a ferry. Unlike here the UK police especially the Welsh ones, can be very strict on enforcing these laws.

Audi do 7 day insurance on approved used but not sure if it costs extra, plus there would be the cost of the tax itself. I'd prefer to pick up the car myself for piece of mind, but it seems like it's not an option. Would it need to be registered to tax it? Extra owner on the log book?

fleex wrote: »
    if it's audi main dealer, you will have warranty in ireland as well.

Sure about this? I thought it's invalid as soon as the car is exported. BMW is a different case, same company UK and Ireland.

bazz26 wrote: »
    My understanding was that UK dealers were not allowed to let the car leave their forecourt without them being taxed.
    2 years ago I bought one, and dealer just asked me to sign disclaimer, that I'm aware vehicle is not taxed, and it can not be legally driven on the road.
    Not saying the dealer has to tax it but it is required to be taxed by someone before it can be sold and driven off their premises. Might be worth asking the dealer to tax it on your behalf too.
    I don't think dealer can tax it if buyer is non-UK resident.
    Only UK resident buyers can tax a car in UK.
    Also the motorways have many ANPR cameras, not sure I'd take the chance of being detected and pulled for no tax if I was trying to make a ferry. Unlike here the UK police especially the Welsh ones, can be very strict on enforcing these laws.
    But is there any other choice except from towing a car on a truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

If it's SORN, it will be show as SORN. there's no reason that the dealer will SORN a car. they can drive their car on trade plate.

Yes, new Owner needs to get the car taxed, the dealer is probably just stating this fact. The thing is UK gov( and APNR camera) won't know you're the new owner before document reach DVLA.

so,IMHO, If it's show as tax, it's OK to drive.

BTW, you need to get the whole V5 from the dealer and let the dealer inform DVLA it's being export.

Good point re the V5, and the fact that the ANPR will show the vehicle as taxed until the documents reach the DVLA.

I see that Audi stand over the mileage on Approved Used. From reading the warranty documentation, I get 60 days warranty only as Ireland counts as continental Europe. That's my reading anyway.

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/UsedCars/Audi%20Approved%20Warranty.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Taxed a car for 3 months and got two months refunded when I registered the car in Ireland. It depends on what value you put on peace of mind if you are stopped.

dingding wrote: »
    Taxed a car for 3 months and got two months refunded when I registered the car in Ireland. It depends on what value you put on peace of mind if you are stopped.

Can you tell us about technicalities of taxing it and obtaining refund as person non-resident in UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Its a few years ago now 2008. I asked the garage to organise the tax and I paid them for it. When I got back I applied to the UK tax authorities and I got a refund for hte unused months. As it is almost 7 years ago I can't remember the exact details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

I have brought a good few cars from the uk without tax, some garages will put up a slip on the windscreen to say you are leaving the uk. if you are pulled over the police are understanding when you tell them where you are going. I have never had an issue. make sure you have your insurance cert and boat details printed off and your half of the v5 document (tax book)

dingding wrote: »
    How did you tax it without registering? I would be happy to do that if I was getting a refund on the unused portion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

CiniO wrote: »
    That's an interesting question OP asked.
    I wonder how are people supposed to drive back home after buying in UK anymore after change of legislation.

When I was buying a car in UK 2 years ago, if you bought a car with tax, it would be valid until expiry so you could drive the car.
    Car I was buying had no tax unfortunately, and there was no option to pay it (as to pay it you need to have UK insurance policy which obviously I didn't have and as non-uk resident couldn't purchase) I had to chance it and drive car without tax. Worked well for me, but might but might not work for someone else.
    However at least there used to be an option to buy a car which is already taxed.

Now there isn't, so either chance it, or get it tower which might be expensive activity.

If you buy a UK car that is taxed and drive back, you should be okay as the anpr system will not be updated immediately.

Remember that the owner must send the forms off to the dvla prior to them getting reimbursed for the tax, which can take a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Good point re the V5, and the fact that the ANPR will show the vehicle as taxed until the documents reach the DVLA.

I see that Audi stand over the mileage on Approved Used. From reading the warranty documentation, I get 60 days warranty only as Ireland counts as continental Europe. That's my reading anyway.

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/UsedCars/Audi%20Approved%20Warranty.pdf

I actually bought a 2 year old A5 Sportback from an Audi dealer up North and you do get the 7 days insurance with the car. It was still on the main Audi warranty and I was told it was covered down here...

After owning the car for a couple of weeks there was a very strange feeling off the clutch, like walking on snow. So I thought I would be able to just drop it into the local Audi dealer here to check it out but thats not really the case.

What happens is you can bring it to your local Audi dealer, they will look at your car and fix it for you and you will have to pay them. If is it a warranty issue they will refund you all the costs.

In my case Audi in Portadown where very helpfull and collected my car and gave me a replacement A4. In the end they had to replace the engine and put a new engine in for me :-) All from a funny feeling from the clutch :-D

Which engine was that AntiVirus? Your warranty is a little different to the used warranty I think. It's still on the new car warranty.

I'd chance driving it to the boat without tax, no way I'd be adding expense by taxing it or paying to have to brought on a truck.

Id tell the dealer to keep the car if they wouldn't let me drive it away, such nonsense.
    bazz26 wrote: »

I drove around London for 6 months without an MOT (I was coming back home so didn't want to spend the money and the car wouldn't have passed anyway), that included trips out to stansted and driving home to the ferry never once got flagged on an ANPR so I have a feeling their prominence is exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This post has been deleted.

LOL, sorry to go off-topic, but if you zoom out, does it say "FOR REG"?

Back on topic... I drove my purchase home from the UK after signing a letter from the dealership stating that they were letting me drive away without tax because the car was being exported. This was 2009.

I rang Car Giant and pretended to be interested in a car there to get the low down (slightly unethical I know). Once the car is insured on drive away insurance I can tax it, it electronically matches the tax to the insurance. No need to register with DVLA. Then cancel the tax once it is exported.

I have read stories on other forums about drivers being fined for having no tax. For the sake of a few quid I won't chance it.

My current thinking with regard to the mechanical inspection is that I will be doing a 5 hour drive up to Holyhead, if anything shows up on that I will just leave the car with the roadside recovery as included in my purchase. This is probably as good if not better than a 15 minute test drive by RAC/AA? Or am I naiive? It's over 1% of the value of the car for an independent inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Which engine was that AntiVirus? Your warranty is a little different to the used warranty I think. It's still on the new car warranty.

1.8 TFSI petrol engine and yes it's still on the main Audi warranty, great car :)

Advertisement