Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

the ballot paper was in front of me and I still didn't really care that much.

Great to have the comfort of not caring and it not affecting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Yeah. Told my wife I would, was voting with her, she saw me flip it...so kinda felt I had to when the ballot paper was in front of me and I still didn't really care that much.

If you don't care then why are you on Boards talking about it so much? At least 2 different threads that I've seen so far. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Breda O'Brien on the radio just now:

"Who's going to speak for the 35%?"

"I was afraid of getting involved in this campaign"

"I had a rough year, I was called a homophobe"

No Breda, you're far, far worse than a homophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

VinLieger wrote: »
    How can you be profoundly gay? Its pretty much a binary state you are or you arent???

No, it's on a scale.

In reality very few of us are 100% hetero- or 100% homosexual.

When Wolfie says "profoundly" though I suspect he just means that his son does more than just wear a bit of concealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

RobertKK wrote: »
    Wasn't hard, the full might of the state backing it, from all political parties, the gardai, IDA, multinationals, media, celebs, sports personalities, millions of foreign money.
    It was not hard to win, given how lob sided the support was.

Congrats to Yes.

I wonder why the support was so lob sided?

Maybe because the majority of people involved positively in our society saw the merits of a 'Yes' vote and didn't buy into the scaremongering and at times pure fantasy of the 'No' campaigners?

I'm actually happy it turned out this way; most countries just enacted legislation but this way the Irish people got to say 'Yes' to homosexuals in a way that no other nation has ever done.

And that was despite a vile hate-filled campaign devoid of any evidence or fact and based entirely on trying to pick at the fears and prejudices that simmer beneath the surface of quite a few people in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

JamboMac wrote: »
    As a person who didn't vote, I can confirm that I was their to be won the yes side and to be perfectly honest they failed. I would never vote no as I didn't really think that they had a valid point.

So I decided to let people make the decision for me as I can't vote without 100% behind.

I know some people see this as being selfish which I'd love to know why?
    If you can't fully stand behind a vote in your mind you have every right not to vote as you are willing accept whatever outcome happens.

Not voting is a No vote. It wasn't the most complex issue. Was the polling station far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Come on K4T, that is outrageous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

First result confirmed for north Dublin 71% yes

Huge turnout too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Yeah. Told my wife I would, was voting with her, she saw me flip it...so kinda felt I had to when the ballot paper was in front of me and I still didn't really care that much.

And yet you are here being the agitator on what is a proud moment for a lot of people. Putting down a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

myshirt wrote: »

Seems accurate

She went on to say that the result raises a "very big question for representative democracy in Ireland" and wants to know who will represent those who voted No.

Local homophobe doesn't understand the concept of representative democracy, shocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

K4t wrote: »

The bronchitis seems to have cleared up in a timely fashion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You forgot the most important backer:

Basic human decency and compassion.
    I can be a cynical fuq, but the above is my one and only reason for voting yes and for being so elated at the outcome - a significant part of the society that I'm also part of, is no longer restricted in terms of committing themselves to the person they love and setting up a home and life with them. It's strange to be all suspicious of people who view this as an immensely positive thing, and of the joy it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

She's playing the victim, again. She's just a [expletive].

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I can be a cynical fuq, but the above is my one and only reason for voting yes and for being so elated at the outcome - a significant part of the society that I'm also part of, is no longer restricted in terms of committing themselves to the person they love and setting up a home and life with them. It's strange to be all suspicious of people who view this as an immensely positive thing, and of the joy it brings.

Yeah, I'm as cynical as it gets, but it's all been so heart-warming. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,910 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

myshirt wrote: »

Notice how she has made it all about her she is a self centred ignorant homphobe who cares nought for what anyone else thinks as long as she gets her way.

Shes had a tough year has she? Irish homosexuals have had a tough LIFE up until today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Stheno wrote: »
    First result confirmed for north Dublin 71% yes

Huge turnout too

Not at all shocked, privileged to hail from one of the more tolerant and enlightened parts of this fair isle.

100% Yes vote in the tally for Finglas West. Holy Jeebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I have resisted the urge to call a number of obvious posters homophobe but there can be no denying that Breda O'Brien is a homophobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Wasn't hard, the full might of the state backing it, from all political parties, the gardai, IDA, multinationals, media, celebs, sports personalities, millions of foreign money.

Congrats to Yes.
    It was lopsided Robert because for so many people this was simply a case of: lifting the restrictions on people - just ordinary human beings like you and I and our families and friends - building a life together with the person they love, that's all.
    Appreciate the congrats. This won't damage society, all of the positive values you celebrate (many of which I'm sure I agree with you on) will remain.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Anita Blow wrote: »
    First official tally in from Dublin Northwest- 70.3% Yes vote.
    That's Leo Varadkar's constituency

Varadkar is Dublin West. Dublin North West is the Finglas/Ballymun area. Róisin Shortall, John Lyons and Dessie Ellis are the TDs. Also, my constituency :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

ronivek wrote: »
    I wonder why the support was so lob sided?

Maybe because the majority of people involved positively in our society saw the merits of a 'Yes' vote and didn't buy into the scaremongering and at times pure fantasy of the 'No' campaigners?

I'm actually happy it turned out this way; most countries just enacted legislation but this way the Irish people got to say 'Yes' to homosexuals in a way that no other nation has ever done.

And that was despite a vile hate-filled campaign devoid of any evidence or fact and based entirely on trying to pick at the fears and prejudices that simmer beneath the surface of quite a few people in this country.

I am always accepting of a result in a referendum. It is best to put things like this before the people to decide, it then clears up the intention of the people.
    However some are never accepting and then want things repealed...(not this, but previous referendum from 1983).

Lob sided as it is the popular cause of the day in western societies. The good thing is Irish people decided and not a court or a legislature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Was it not that one box in Finglas West was 100%? Or do you have something more up to date?

https://twitter.com/elizadolally/status/602082572907216896

That would be amazing if it was 100% overall for the constituency :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Proud day to be Irish! we are making headlines across the globe for all the good reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I am always accepting of a result in a referendum. It is best to put things like this before the people to decide, it then clears up the intention of the people.
    However some are never accepting and then want things repealed...(not this, but previous referendum from 1983).

Lob sided as it is the popular cause of the day in western societies. The good thing is Irish people decided and not a court or a legislature.

Lob it into me boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Source?

That can't be right

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Congrats to Yes.

I actually don't understand. You're complaining that the Yes vote won because the Yes side had more support? Isn't this how it's supposed to work? The side with the most support wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Source?

That can't be right

See my post up above. Think it was reported that one box in Finglas West was 100% yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

What does the 35% need to be said for them?

"Some of us are unhappy, others will just continue with their life"

Was it not that one box in Finglas West was 100%? Or do you have something more up to date?

https://twitter.com/elizadolally/status/602082572907216896

That would be amazing if it was 100% overall for the constituency :)

Might just have been the box! I'm following the #MarRef timeline on Twitter and one of the tweets just said 100% Yes for Finglas West!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

So on the one side you had the RCC and their spokespeople, and on the other you had a government with a poor satisfaction rating. If this was all about marketing and propaganda then the NO side could have won easily.

And there were two referenda. One has been accepted by the people, one has been rejected. It's a bit petty and insulting to suggest that it was about the money being pumped into posters, door-to-door campaigns, YouTube videos and newspaper ads.

In some respects the "NO" campaign won this referendum for the YES side: They told lies, they displayed scorn towards our LGBT citizens, and they refused to debate the real issues. The final blow (I think) was when the bishops opened their mouths and threatened to no longer solemnise weddings. People saw through the arrogance being displayed there, and through the pretence that the church was "all about the kids".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement