Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Personal Trainers?

Options
  • 08-05-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone provide this service or else can they recommend an online personal trainer? Does such a thing even exist?

The reason I ask is that I’m down the country and the few local trainers are more experienced with the fat loss type of clients, I want to put on some size.

Ideally I’m looking for someone who really knows their stuff and has the credentials that can create a workout regime and detailed nutrition plan to get around my equipment limitations and “hardgainer” status. I need to workout at home so have limited equipment (adjustable bench, adjustable dumbbells, pull up bar). I’m also naturally skinny so find it very hard to put on meaningful size.

I can provide more info here or via pm/email as required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

How many calories are you currently eating per day? Have you tried doubling it?

What is your max squat, bench, deadlift and overhead press.

How much weight do you have access to?

A detailed nutrition plan can be expensive, and a hell of a lot of work for the trainer if you're talking down to individual meal prep and variety.

Simple answer:
    Workouts:
    Stronglifts 5x5 or Jim Wendlers 5/3/1

Diet:
    GOMAD or Double your caloric intake through solid foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone provide this service or else can they recommend an online personal trainer? Does such a thing even exist?

The reason I ask is that I’m down the country and the few local trainers are more experienced with the fat loss type of clients, I want to put on some size.

Ideally I’m looking for someone who really knows their stuff and has the credentials that can create a workout regime and detailed nutrition plan to get around my equipment limitations and “hardgainer” status. I need to workout at home so have limited equipment (adjustable bench, adjustable dumbbells, pull up bar). I’m also naturally skinny so find it very hard to put on meaningful size.

I can provide more info here or via pm/email as required.

Think this guy does it - I follow him on the old youtube - never used the service, so I suppose just a possibility

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhysiquesOfGreatness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Kurn wrote: »
    Think this guy does it - I follow him on the old youtube - never used the service, so I suppose just a possibility

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhysiquesOfGreatness

I love Chris Jones' videos, but I wouldn't really advise people spending a few hundred dollars for some skype sessions which will teach you the same stuff you can google for free.

If you're going to go the PT route, I'd say go with one in person. At least then you can get some help in the gym, aswell as having a more 'personal' experience than doing a weekly skype with some lad halfway across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

I love Chris Jones' videos, but I wouldn't really advise people spending a few hundred dollars for some skype sessions which will teach you the same stuff you can google for free.

If you're going to go the PT route, I'd say go with one in person. At least then you can get some help in the gym, aswell as having a more 'personal' experience than doing a weekly skype with some lad halfway across the world.

I agree actually.... But OP did ask for online trainer specifically. Must be ones that can help you down country.. Or what I did was a few sessions (in person) to help me do things right and then work on them myself...

Hope you find something that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I'd happily give you advice on training and diet free of charge, its pretty basic stuff, and I've a bit of time on my hands till I start my new job so pm if you want.

I'm a qualified PT too, not that it really makes a difference imo, because gaining size to a certain degree is easily achievable for anyone. I'd agree its best to go about PT in person though if its something your hell bent on.
    Simple answer:
    Workouts:
    Stronglifts 5x5 or Jim Wendlers 5/3/1

He's looking to put on size, hypertrophy training is best suited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback so far. Maybe I should clarify a few points. I'm not a weights novice been at it a while and have used a PT a few times so form etc ok in the main. Just local PTs are more in the fat loss space, rather than gain. Especially with the likes of me who find it hard to put it on.

I have half a clue about diet, tracking calories, clean eating, macros etc so in reality I don't need a detailed food plan, rather a critique or steer on what I currently eat to make sure it is aligned to overcome this hardgainer status.

So really when it comes to a program I need someone who understands my body type and goals and can design a program to work around my exercising from home with essentially only dumbbells and a bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You keep saying you are a hard gainer. What are you basing this on? Whats a typical daily diet when your trying to put on size.

Mellor wrote: »
    You keep saying you are a hard gainer. What are you basing this on? Whats a typical daily diet when your trying to put on size.

Yeah, fully accept these are my words and most likely inaccurate or ill informed. That's why I'm asking for advice here.

For reference, I'm now age 35. 5 foot 8. Have a naturally small frame, I'm slight, tiny wrists etc

At age 30 I weighed 8st 11 pounds. Very much underweight and all my 20s were like that.
    Terrible diet, eating f all basically.

At 30 I took up weights and now I'm at 10st 3, approx 12/13% body fat.

I had gotten closer to 11st a while back but a lot of it was fat so ive cut back to 10 3.

I'll post a food diary shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback so far. Maybe I should clarify a few points. I'm not a weights novice been at it a while and have used a PT a few times so form etc ok in the main. Just local PTs are more in the fat loss space, rather than gain. Especially with the likes of me who find it hard to put it on.

I have half a clue about diet, tracking calories, clean eating, macros etc so in reality I don't need a detailed food plan, rather a critique or steer on what I currently eat to make sure it is aligned to overcome this hardgainer status.

So really when it comes to a program I need someone who understands my body type and goals and can design a program to work around my exercising from home with essentially only dumbbells and a bench!
    whats your current height and weight?

How many calories do you take in per day?

We just might be able to save you a few bob here

Ive a client right now doing a short weight gain cycle and i fully expect him to gain about 4kg in 6 weeks, thats after spending a year getting weight up by about 9kg already and squat from pretty much zero to 140kg

Yeah, fully accept these are my words and most likely inaccurate or ill informed. That's why I'm asking for advice here.

For reference, I'm now age 35. 5 foot 8. Have a naturally small frame, I'm slight, tiny wrists etc

At age 30 I weighed 8st 11 pounds. Very much underweight and all my 20s were like that.
    Terrible diet, eating f all basically.

At 30 I took up weights and now I'm at 10st 3, approx 12/13% body fat.

I had gotten closer to 11st a while back but a lot of it was fat so ive cut back to 10 3.

I'll post a food diary shortly.
    yup post up food calories per day (the actual food only matters unless its complete sh1te)

if you're not currently squatting well over body weight and doing weighted chin ups then get working on that asap

i would calc about 2,500 cals per day based on your height/weight and thinking you're training 4times per week?

• Advertisement

Hey transform. Thanks for the input.

I weight train three times per week. Normally a couple of 3k runs in there as well. I know cardio isn't ideal but driven out of necessity to make sure I get a bus home on time as I'm commuting!

Maintenance for me based on experience, and the above exercise is circa 2300.

Just to reiterate though I have to work out at home so am limited to two 55lb adjustable dumbbells and a pull up bar stuck between a narrow door frame!

Food diary looks like this. This is based on a weekdays but weekends not much different bar an odd biscuit or bun. I rarely drink any more and don't do takeaways.

Breakfast.
    30g porridge with 150ml full fat milk
    65g full fat Greek style yogurt

Morning.
    Tin mackerel
    Apple
    Plum

Lunch (work restaurant so varies day to day)
    2 portions of veg
    1 portion of meat - chicken breast etc
    Carb - spuds, rice, pasta

Afternoon
    Banana
    handful of Sultanas/nuts

Dinner (at home).
    1 veg
    1 meat
    1 carb

Evening *
    Scoop protein
    2 scoops carb powder
    3g creatine
    400ml full fat milk
    3 or 4 tablespoons of peanut butter

* my stomach just does not like weight gainer shakes so I make my own from separate powders

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Food diary looks like this. This is based on a weekdays but weekends not much different bar an odd biscuit or bun. I rarely drink any more and don't do takeaways.

Breakfast.
    30g porridge with 150ml full fat milk
    65g full fat Greek style yogurt

Morning.
    Tin mackerel
    Apple
    Plum

Lunch (work restaurant so varies day to day)
    2 portions of veg
    1 portion of meat - chicken breast etc
    Carb - spuds, rice, pasta

Afternoon
    Banana
    handful of Sultanas/nuts

Dinner (at home).
    1 veg
    1 meat
    1 carb

Evening *
    Scoop protein
    2 scoops carb powder
    3g creatine
    400ml full fat milk
    3 or 4 tablespoons of peanut butter

* my stomach just does not like weight gainer shakes so I make my own from separate powders

Have you worked out how many calories are in that?

I estimate between 2600 and 2800 but I wouldn't be surprised it someone says it looks like 2000!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I estimate between 2600 and 2800 but I wouldn't be surprised it someone says it looks like 2000!

Stop estimating and star calculating. You're not gaining weight because you don't know your numbers and have very limited training facilities.

Hanley wrote: »
    Stop estimating and star calculating. You're not gaining weight because you don't know your numbers and have very limited training facilities.

It is calculated but I say estimate as I can't say for sure what values are in the carb portions at work. I just gave a range.

I appreciate that my home equipment limits me and if that categorically means I can't gain weight, fine. I'll accept that.

It is calculated but I say estimate as I can't say for sure what values are in the carb portions at work. I just gave a range.

I appreciate that my home equipment limits me and if that categorically means I can't gain weight, fine. I'll accept that.
    Plenty of guys in amazing shape that do virtually only body weight exercises a s train their ass off.
    Eat more and if you're not getting stronger then work on that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The equipment you do or don't have isn't the limiting factor.

If you're estimating what you're getting at work but you don't known then just eat more when you CAN measure it. It's that simple - eat more.

Thanks Alf. I can absolutely tighten up on the calorie tracking and consistently target 2800 calories which should put me at 500 a day over maintenance. Macro wise, I am thinking 50% carbs, then 25% each proteins and fats.
    That sound ok?

Good to hear that all is not lost with my equipment so I have to ask. Is there any existing program out there or would anyone offer to design me a three day split to put on some size?

Thanks again. Really appreciate all the advice. I was fully ready to pay for it!

The reason people are saying you need to track it accurately is because people who fell they are hard gainers almost universally over estimate their intake.
    Of course some people do find it easier/harder to put on weight compared to others. It's far more common that naturally light people, are light due to a naturally small appetite.
    It doesn't.
    Diet is the deciding factor.
    People have been putting on muscle long for 1000s of years with only basic equipment. Equivalent to dumbells and using bodyweight.
    Good to hear that all is not lost with my equipment so I have to ask. Is there any existing program out there or would anyone offer to design me a three day split to put on some size?
    How heavy are your dumbells?
    It's likely that you would outgrow them with an existings weights program aimed at a working out in the gym. But you could focus on bodyweight progressions.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed reply Mellor. I'll tighten up on the calorie counting. I think I have the principles, need to make sure that I'm hitting calories consistently.
    Can I assume my food diary reads relatively ok as I haven't gotten and criticism of it. (awaits criticism!)

Dumbbells are 25kg or so I think. Yeah no doubt I'll outgrow them but getting to the gym in the short term is not an option for me.

I don't think I have unrealistic expectations for what I could achieve at home with my current equipment. I am slim and want to keep a lean look but I feel getting to 11st with 10% body fat *should* be achievable with a good program. Or am I way off the mark here?

I don't think I have unrealistic expectations for what I could achieve at home with my current equipment. I am slim and want to keep a lean look but I feel getting to 11st with 10% body fat *should* be achievable with a good program. Or am I way off the mark here?
    I think it's fairly realistic. As you want to get bigger plus leaner you'll need to cut a bit too. I did a few quick sums, but if you add 14lb with a slow bulk, then cut 3lbs you should be fairly close to 10% @ 11st.
    Budget a few months for that.

What would you class a slow bulk? 1lb per week? 500 calories over maintenance a day?

So I'd be looking at 3-4 months to achieve this?

What would you class a slow bulk? 1lb per week? 500 calories over maintenance a day?

So I'd be looking at 3-4 months to achieve this?
    Sounds good to me. I was thinking about 4 months myself. 3 bulk, 1 cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

You can find all the nutrition information you need online fairly easy and for free. You say you're form when lifting is decent so there's no point splashing out big money on a personal trainer either. Again all the information is online and free. The work you have to do is search for it and get the stuff you need.

Mellor wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. I was thinking about 4 months myself. 3 bulk, 1 cut.

Yeah, four months. I'd be ok with that.

So then the big question, any suggestions for a program??!! Thanks again.

Advertisement