Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Referendum question on mens rights

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Bob24 wrote: »
    Currently, while it is not explicitly described in the constitution men have an implied role in the family as a marriage necessarily involves a man. If the change is made, that implied role will disappear and the only thing left will be the explicit role given to women.
    Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Agreed, but this is why I think the OP might have a point: are we not not jumping straight to step 2 before taking care of step 1?

Sure I agree the perception of the mother in society has a role there, but when the constitution is confirming that perception I think it does have an impact as well. And this is where we disagree: even if some of it will not be taken to literally , in my view what is written in the constitution matters (otherwise why would gay people be asking for "constitutional protection"?).

Currently, while it is not explicitly described in the constitution men have an implied role in the family as a marriage necessarily involves a man. If the change is made, that implied role will disappear and the only thing left will be the explicit role given to women.

I think we will have to agree to differ on this one. I do not think man's part (specifically) in a marriage, implied or otherwise will disappear in practice. It will merely become non gender specific or reading it another way, both man and woman's parts will disappear.

galljga1 wrote: »
    I think we will have to agree to differ on this one. I do not think man's part (specifically) in a marriage, implied or otherwise will disappear in practice. It will merely become non gender specific or reading it another way, both man and woman's parts will disappear.

but its not rights in a marriage - its rights to his kids.

CaraMay wrote: »
    but its not rights in a marriage - its rights to his kids.

I know that. We are getting a bit mixed up here, at least I am.
    In practical terms, I just do not see a court making a different decision if the referendum passes because the mother marries a woman rather than a man. Or is it because a mother marries a woman rather than cohabitates with said woman? Would this in practice make a difference.

Again, the above is a generalisation and I have no experience in the area so maybe naive.

I just do not see a court making a different decision if the referendum passes because the mother marries a woman rather than a man.

Its not about who they marry after the break up. its actually nothing to do with the next partner, its about the 'definition' of family being amended from mother and father which is generating this conversation.

• Advertisement

Its not about who they marry after the break up. its actually nothing to do with the next partner, its about the 'definition' of family being amended from mother and father which is generating this conversation.

But there is no definition of family in the constitution. There is a definition in law which I believe is a married couple (probably mentions male and female currently) with or without children. Neither mother nor father are mentioned because they do not have to have children to be a family.

I take this conversation to be about a fathers rights to his children. The only difference that I see if the referendum passes is that the father can marry a man and that the mother can marry a woman. The question in my head is: will this change things negatively for the father? I personally think it will not.

But there is no definition of family in the constitution. There is a definition in law which I believe is a married couple (probably mentions male and female currently) with or without children. Neither mother nor father are mentioned because they do not have to have children to be a family.

I take this conversation to be about a fathers rights to his children. The only difference that I see if the referendum passes is that the father can marry a man and that the mother can marry a woman. The question in my head is: will this change things negatively for the father? I personally think it will not.

It keeps getting brought back to sex. Its not about the right of gay people to marry. Its about a fathers rights if his marriage (with his wife) ends and the impact of the change to family ie no longer considered male / female

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes - I was not considering whether and with who people might remarry.

For me it really is about the man's role in a family (and by extension in raising s child) being removed from the constitution.

It keeps getting brought back to sex. Its not about the right of gay people to marry. Its about a fathers rights if his marriage (with his wife) ends and the impact of the change to family ie no longer considered male / female

Sorry, I just do not see it. I cannot see how a court will treat the father any differently if the proposed referendum wording is inserted or not.

Yes - I was not considering whether and with who people might remarry.

For me it really is about the man's role in a family (and by extension in raising s child) being removed from the constitution.

Sorry Bob but how is the man's role in the family being removed from the constitution? It is not currently there.

• Advertisement

Sorry Bob but how is the man's role in the family being removed from the constitution? It is not currently there.

Marriage is defined in the family section of the constitution as the family unit, which has to be composed of a man and a woman.

This is giving men a role I believe.

Marriage is defined in the family section of the constitution as the family unit, which has to be composed of man and a woman.

This is giving men a role I believe.

It just mentions the family and protections afforded. It does not define its makeup. It does mention 'woman' and 'mothers' but it gives no mention to man at all.

It just mentions the family and protections afforded. It does not define its makeup. It does mention 'woman' and 'mothers' but it gives no mention to man at all.

You would agree it implies a marriage is between a man and a woman right?

You would agree it implies a marriage is between a man and a woman right?

My opinion is that this is implied by society. As it stands, nothing in the constitution stops any combination of man and woman getting married. As far as I know, this is done in law outside the constitution. This could be changed to allow SSM without changing the constitution. A lot of people argue that this is the approach that should have been taken although it could easily be changed back.

Now I have to go and do weekend things with my kids. I may not be able to next weekend as the expected hordes of gays scavenging the countryside may get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

But the father is still the child's parent. Nothing the mother does can change that, so again, where's the issue?

My opinion is that this is implied by society. As it stands, nothing in the constitution stops any combination of man and woman getting married. As far as I know, this is done in law outside the constitution. This could be changed to allow SSM without changing the constitution. A lot of people argue that this is the approach that should have been taken although it could easily be changed back.

So if it is not the constitution preventing same sex marriage, why are we voting to change it?

You see how I find a contradiction here?

Well, it is and it isn't. There's nothing explicit in the constitution but one of the purposes of the Supreme Court is to interpret the constitution. The argument is that while there's nothing explicit that prohibits it, it is implicit and the court would have to interpret it in that way. At least, that's my (somewhat limited) understanding.

Now where that implication comes from, I can't say. Possibly due to the time it was written and who it was written by. I believe the SU does have to take historical intent into consideration.

But this doesn't really have any bearing on whether a man would lose access to his child in the example being discussed. He's still the child's father. If the argument is that two women make up a family and so the man has no place, again, it's no different than her presently marrying another man.

So... the whole argument is rather irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

A prominent Yes campaigner, quoted in the Sunday Business Post, wonders "What exactly is it that a man brings to a relationship that is so specifically 'other' to a female. So basically, men don't contribute anything and aren't needed.

You can easily turn that around and pose the same question about women. Which is exactly the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    You can easily turn that around and pose the same question about women. Which is exactly the point.

But the point is that while men and woman are equal in importance as members of the human race, they are not the same and they bring different things to society and marriage.

• Advertisement

The point is that no, they don't. Human relationships are just that - human relationships. Men and women don't contribute anything uniquely "mannish" or "womanish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

How is that different if we allow same sex marriage?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    How is that different if we allow same sex marriage?
    Its not about who can now get married, its about what family now means ie it no longer means man & woman.

Its not about who can now get married, its about what family now means ie it no longer means man & woman.

Yeah I'm still not following you?

Parents who are married have a certain set of rights to their children. Unmarried fathers less so, but that's a different issue.

Same sex marriage is not going to change a married fathers rights to his children.

Most legislation around children and childrens rights is in the Children and Family Relationships Act 2015.

A family can be any number of configurations, it can mean a single mother, a widowed parent etc...

For the purposes of this referendum all that is changing is who can marry each other. There is no impact on fathers rights to their children. Do not believe the spin from the likes of mothers and fathers matter. It has been clarified (repeatedly at this stage) that fathers rights are not affected by this referendum.

So if it is not the constitution preventing same sex marriage, why are we voting to change it?

You see how I find a contradiction here?

I am kind of with you on that one but I do not see a contradiction. This can be brought in by constitutional change which requires a referendum or by legislation which does not. The argument for the constitutional change is that it is put before the people and if passed requires a further referendum to make future changes. This affords further protection to those that are seen to benefit from it or maybe not: the country could turn more conservative in the future. Bringing in legislation is probably more difficult but it can be done. I have no idea how many existing acts would require change or how long it would take to do so.

Do not believe the spin from the likes of mothers and fathers matter.

Please don't insult me....

OP are you confident your rights wont be impacted?

Please don't insult me....

OP are you confident your rights wont be impacted?

Well they are the ones spilling that kind of unconnected nonsense to scaremonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Asabiyyah

Can the women among us please give their opinion of the above text in bold.

I (a man) find it extremely condescending.

MOD; enough of the derogatory language. Please read the charter before posting again.

Well they are the ones spilling that kind of unconnected nonsense to scaremonger.

The op asked the question and has a genuine concern. Seems to me you can't discuss the referendum at all unless you say 'yes' and then stop talking. As I said before it's no skin off my nose but he's entitled to talk it out.

• Advertisement

It's almost as if some of us are the people this is going to impact or something...

Advertisement