Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resistance bands - any good?

Options
  • 07-05-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Thinking of switching to these. My option are to buy more discs for my dumbells or move to resistance bands. I don't want to ruin any progress burning fat / building minuscule muscle by switching to them if they are not what I want them for.

So I suppose my question is are they just as effective for burning fat and building muscle as dumbells?

The main reason by the way I am thinking of switching is I have limited space and young kids toddling around while I m working out so while I try workout while they nap it's not always possible and I'm thinking resistance bands might be a little easier because clearly enough I have to be careful with my movements if kids running around.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Resistance bands are good for stretching and mobility work, but if you're looking to work your muscles, then dumbbells would probably be a better option.

Nothing wrong with some band work for accessory work at the end, but heavy weights should be your focus if you're looking to get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Resistance bands are good for stretching and mobility work, but if you're looking to work your muscles, then dumbbells would probably be a better option.

That really depends on which bands and dumbells we are talking about.

I'd say these bands would build more muscles than these dumbells/, and there provide a lot more resistance (65-140lbs verses 4-7lbs).
    Extreme example, but you understand my point

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Thanks.

I might get some and not abandon the dumbells completely, just incorporate. They would be handy for when I go on holidays - just throw in suitcase. I will go into a shop and see what are the most suitable resistance size.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

That's actually an idea :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement