Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin leaflet - "Protestant 45.67%, Catholic 46.94%. Make History"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

1) Are. You. Disputing. That?

2) Please. For the fourth time of asking. Show me where "bigotry, discrimination, or hatred" is displayed.

Here it is in bold as well. "bigotry, discrimination, or hatred"

Selective quoting of my post doesn't mean I have to repeat the explanation.

I have explained clearly using examples of how the leaflet is sectarian. I won't do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Godge wrote: »
    Selective quoting of my post doesn't mean I have to repeat the explanation.

I have explained clearly using examples of how the leaflet is sectarian. I won't do so again.

No you havent. You made some daft makey uppy comparison to racism in texas. I set out the definition of sectarian, asked you to point out the sectarianism and you couldnt

No you havent. You made some daft makey uppy comparison to racism in texas. I set out the definition of sectarian, asked you to point out the sectarianism and you couldnt

I substituted white and non-white for catholic and protestant and republican and democrat for nationalist and unionist, that is all. Rather than a daft makey-up comparison, it showed the naked sectarianism inherent in the leaflet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Gerry Kelly of Sinn Féin has been criticised for circulating a leaflet in North Belfast which quoted the figures from the 2011 Census in order to appeal to voters on the basis of their religion.

"Protestant 45.67%, Catholic 46.94%. Make a Change. Make History"

Seán Fearon, Sinn Féin Republican Youth committee member, said: “This is an absolute disgrace. The very antithesis of what republicanism represents. . . .not how many bloody Catholics and Protestants live in an area and assuming they’ll vote on ethno-nationalist lines as a result.”

Cumann member Joseph Donaghy also said: “Turning the race for the seat in North Belfast into a sectarian head count is absolutely disgraceful from the party I have dedicated so much of my time to and had so much belief in. Republicanism has been let down greatly by the Gerry Kelly leaflet.”

I do think there would be outrage if, say, the Labour party in the UK circulated a leaflet in London which said: "White British - 44.9%, Non-White British - 55.1%. Make the Change. Make History."

Race =/= Religion

Saipanne wrote: »
    Race =/= Religion

Racism = Sectarianism (Racism without colour)

• Advertisement

Racism = Sectarianism (Racism without colour)

There aren't enough rolleyes in the universe.

Saipanne wrote: »
    There aren't enough rolleyes in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectarianism

"Sectarianism like racism is a form of bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, nationalism, class, regional or factions of a political movement"

"Sectarianism like racism is a form of bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, nationalism, class, regional or factions of a political movement"

Wikipedia. THE FACT MACHINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

And using your own words i ask you for the fifth time where, oh where, was the bigotry, discrimination, or hatred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hey ****heads, is no one interested in the new reality that post marriage ref the old adage "home rule = Rome rule" is now defunct?

If not then enjoy flogging the old dead horse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement