Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen breeds

Options
  • 06-05-2015 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi. I had plenty of hens, and every type of fowl around the place as a chap. I'm going to get a few only around 10 for a disused shed and garden out the back of the farm. Can anyone identify the breeds in the two pictures and perhaps suggest one or two other old breeds that would be nice to have. They are only for a bit of crack so they don't have to lay like mad of anything. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Looks to be a Plymouth Rock or Cuckoo Maran & a Blue Orpington. Had both here, the blues in particular are great characters. Used to come running when we peeped at them and turned over rocks for woodlice for them.
    Faverolles are lovely birds as well, big fluffy heads on them. Ours were always bullied by others though :confused:
    Sussex/Leghorns/Black Minorca are all lovely birds too.
    Have you looked at http://www.irishfowl.com/ ? They have a list of breeders and you can see who's in your area and maybe work off that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Cheers kovu, exactly what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

The first one is a Plymouth Rock alright (we have two of them). They are a big hen when fully grown they are classed as a dual purpose (eating and/or laying). You can't beat the Rhode Island Red great layers and tamer if you want kids to handle them.

It's nice to have a few different breeds knocking around the place adds a bit of colour!

You could consider a few ducks as well great characters and funny to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Are Blue Orpington and blue bell the same thing or are they completely different? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Looking at pics I'm not sure if bluebell's the same as Orpingtons!!
    The other is defo a cuckoo marran, lays a lovely brown egg. Good eating too!! Lovely birds and good instinct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement