Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Blood

Options
  • 05-05-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

I am giving blood tonight, but I also want to train is that an issue. Getting some mixed views online. Just a general strength session planned for tonight.

Also I have a fitness test in less than two weeks is it likely to be an issue ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

holdfast wrote: »
    I am giving blood tonight, but I also want to train is that an issue. Getting some mixed views online. Just a general strength session planned for tonight.

Also I have a fitness test in less than two weeks is it likely to be an issue ?

Cheers

Ask the doctor in clinic.

I'd imagine from my experience, training tonight is a bad idea, but will have next to no effect in two weeks.

I always have a strong thirst after it and sometimes feel a little light headed.

The staff are usually really good and won't be shy with advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I wouldn't train after giving blood.

Train before maybe?

Any time I give blood I wait a couple of days before training.

Takes your body around 3-5 days to replenish your red blood cells after a donation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When I gave blood before I fainted after and couldn't stand for long after
    Some people skip off merrily though
    If you haven't done it before maybe try training before it if at all, and you'll know for next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

I will skip tonight, its not like one session is going to make a difference. It would have been good to be on youtube like this legend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

holdfast wrote: »
    I will skip tonight, its not like one session is going to make a difference. It would have been good to be on youtube like this legend

This is brilliant and horrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zillah wrote: »
    This is brilliant and horrifying.

Mostly brilliant. But the end is a bit...

It's certainly up there with the guy in white shorts clambering off the bench with a big brown stain on the shorts after an epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've giving blood about a dozen times now, I've trained a few times after words and never felt to different. Some people faint at the sight of a needle , some don't. If you feel like training go ahead and do it, but if you feel light headed , knock it and it's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ted1 wrote: »
    I've giving blood about a dozen times now, I've trained a few times after words and never felt to different. Some people faint at the sight of a needle , some don't. If you feel like training go ahead and do it, but if you feel light headed , knock it and it's head.
    Not really related though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Never felt all that different during the normal course of the day after giving blood but I knew I wouldn't have been at 100% for training at a reasonably high intensity.

I probably could have managed it but I didn't see the harm in taking that day off.

Effects wrote: »
    Not really related though, is it?

Well it is really because it's being used to show that people experience different things and we are all different .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ted1 wrote: »
    Well it is really because it's being used to show that people experience different things and we are all different .

As a metaphor sure, but there's no connection between having a mental reaction to the sight of a needle and how well your body handles the loss of a pint of blood.

Zillah wrote: »
    As a metaphor sure, but there's no connection between having a mental reaction to the sight of a needle and how well your body handles the loss of a pint of blood.

And does it really make a difference that the far away hills are greener, when your looking at the pretty foreign girls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

give blood regulalry and have asked in the past. Got told there is no reason why you shouldnt/cant

Have trained after and never felt any different tbh

Advertisement