Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good work :)

Yay, km-pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Not a lot to report. Took Wednesday as a rest day.

Thurs: 55 mins easy: nothing much to say, did 9.2km @6.11 HR 155.

Fri: was supposed to do long hill sprints by must have turned my alarm off without thinking so woke up too late to head out. Couldn't do it in the evening as I was going out straight from work. I did get some exercise climbing up to the upper circle in the Olympia, and some good ab workout laughing at Alan Carr for a few hours. Ended up out til the wee hours.

Sat: Had considering doing the hill sprints but kids activities and a hangover prevented me.

Sun: Back to normal today, 90 mins easy 14.1km @6.23 HR 161. HR was a bit high probably due to too much alcohol, too much junk food and too little sleep. Glad I got out today though.

Total for week: 34.1 km. Not too bad considering I missed a session. First missed work out in 4 weeks :-( Next week is a fall back week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just catching up here. Well done on the MP session... Downhill or not!

annapr wrote: »
    Just catching up here. Well done on the MP session... Downhill or not!

Thanks! Just have to find a downhill marathon and I'll be flying!

This week was step back week so the same number of sessions but for less time.

Tues: Fartlek: Decided I'd do one of my regular undulating loops but run the uphills fast and the downhills slow. I didn't bother checking my watch as i ran or measuring splits as it was pretty random. It was great! Very liberating to just run at whatever speed I felt like.
    Total 6.82km @5.48 HR 154

Thurs: 40mins easy: Nothing exciting. 5.96 km @6.18 HR 156. For some reason my HR was higher than the Fartlek session even though my average pace was slower. It was almost the same route too.

Fri: 6*short hills: Someone else was using my hill! The cheek. I did it anyway as I was faster 😈 Didn't take long and was home early so got the long abandoned foam roller out. 5.68 km @6.28 HR 151

Sun: Had to work this morning (hence missed the beer mile, I was gutted) so decided to get the luas in and run home. Left work early as I was all done and headed for the hills. This was the opposite of my MP session from last week, all uphill. Took it easy though so wasn't too bad. About 2km from home got a call from work telling me I had to go back in! Had no choice but to run home, grab a shower and a sandwich and head back in. I drove this time!
    Total 11.62Km @6.29 HR 160

Weekly total: 30km

A bit of a mixed week this week.

Tues 16: 4*4 min @5k effort with 3 min recovery: during the warm up I felt awful. A bit dizzy and felt like I was running through water in slow motion. Looking at the stats now I was doing a 6.44 min/km pace which is pretty slow even for me! I was considering just running at easy pace and doing the intervals another day, but decided to do one and see how I felt. As has happened many times before, once I sped up I was fine so kept going and ended up doing well. My ave pace per interval: 4:38/4:50/4.45/4:51
    Total: 9.1 km HR 156

Thurs 18: 60 mins easy: Did just that. Felt good and easy!
    Total: 9.91km @6:18 HR 154. I wasn't watch watching so actually stopped at 61 minutes so both my time and distance are odd! I felt like I should keep going to 10km but fought the urge!

Fri 19: AM 8 short hills: I normally love this session but felt off again. I have two hills I use so chose the nearer one so only had a short warm up and cool down. Hills themselves were fine.
    Total: 4.87 km
    PM Lots of dancing in high heels. My calves were in bits next day!

Sun 21: 100min easy: Great long run today. I spent most of Saturday on the sofa so it was good to get out. Longest run in a long time. Once again I ran by time and was slightly annoyed I was just off a nice even distance!
    Total: 15.86km @6.18 HR 158

Weekly total: 39.74 km. Should I go out and run a few laps of the garden?

Next week I'm doing the race series 5mile. I've never done a 5 mile so am guaranteed a pb! McMillan says I should do it in 40:03 but that's based on my tallaght 5k. I've a few weeks consistent running since then so I'm aiming for anything sub 40. Hope to see some of you there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ha ha yes you gotta go do a few laps of the garden and fix that :-) just kidding! good luck in the 5 mile next week, as you say you've a good training base the last few weeks that will stand to you and the atmosphere will be epic up there on the day.

haha, resist the urge or just round up :D

Hope to see you in the PP on Sat, likely to be a couple of minutes behind you!

Quiet week so far :-S

Tues 23: 66 mins with 22@tempo: ran into work again so all downhill. It was a lovely morning and I cut through tymon Park which was full of birdsong and rabbits so it was a nice start to the day. My tempo pace is based on heart rate so I was aiming for 166 to 175bpm

Warm up 3.61km @6:10 HR 149
    Tempo 4.36km @5:10/4:50/5:14/5:01/(4:50) HR 169-176
    Cool down 4.12km @6:05 HR 169
    Total: 12:08km

I was happy with this. Splits were a bit erratic but there was some hills. In hindsight I should have done some faster intervals instead in preparation for Saturday but I just blindly followed the plan!

Today I was supposed to do an hour easy but I was dying of hay fever yesterday and slept badly so didn't get up early enough. Then OH was late home from work so didn't get out. Unplanned tapering I guess. I'll do an easy run with a few strides in the morning and then I'll be all ready for Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great stuff. Have you got a specific target for Saturday?
    Best of luck with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sorry couldn't read your last post.....*

Quiet week so far :-S

Tues 23: 66 mins wit 22@tempo: ran tha **** into work again n' again n' again so all downhill. Dat shiznit was a ghettofab mornin n' I cut all up in tymon Park which was full of birdcold lil' woo wop n' rabbits so dat shiznit was a sick start ta tha day. It make me wanna hollar playa! My ****in tempo pace is based on ass rate so I was aimin fo' 166 ta 175bpm

Warm up 3.61km @6:10 HR 149
    Tempo 4.36km @5:10/4:50/5:14/5:01/(4:50) HR 169-176
    Def down 4.12km @6:05 HR 169
    Total: 12:08km

I was aiiight wit all dis bull****. Right back up in yo mutha****in ass. Splits was a lil' bit erratic but there was some hills. In hindsight I should have done some fasta intervals instead up in preparation fo' Saturdizzle but I just blindly followed tha plan!

Todizzle I was supposed ta do a minute easy as **** but I was dyin of hay fever yesterdizzle n' slept badly so didn't git up early enough cause I gots dem finger-lickin' chickens wit tha siz-auce. Then OH was late home from work so didn't git out. Unplanned taperin I guess. I be bout ta do a easy as **** run wit all dem strides up in tha mornin n' then I be bout ta be all locked n loaded fo' Saturday!

*hope you're not regretting that rave just yet :D Good luck on Saturday, I'm going to try get a free pass so might see you :)

• Advertisement

Much better dubgal! I've just been looking at my work website in gangsta and I'm crying laughing 😂
    Ososlo, I'm hoping for sub 40 but this weather is killing me so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha it is my new favourite toy so thanks!! Himself was having a good chuckle too :D

chickey2 wrote: »
    Much better dubgal! I've just been looking at my work website in gangsta and I'm crying laughing 😂
    Ososlo, I'm hoping for sub 40 but this weather is killing me so we'll see.

have you done it before? You know what to expect from the course-profile?

have a good one!

I haven't done the 5 mile before but I did do the 10 mile and the half marathon last year so I've an idea what to expect. Most importantly I know about that horrible hill at the end! All my hill training might stand to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hope you gotz a pimped out race on Saturday, Chickey. I’ll be up cheerin wit mah pom-poms!

I haven't done the 5 mile before but I did do the 10 mile and the half marathon last year so I've an idea what to expect. Most importantly I know about that horrible hill at the end! All my hill training might stand to me.

Assuming it's the same route as last year, there's a lovely downhill (the Khyber) from about 4-5k... (half and 10 mile didn't go that way) make the most of that because the worst uphill is right after it... your hill training will definitely stand to you...

good luck tomorrow! will be somewhere on course cheering also :-)

Dublin Race Series 5 mile

A lovely day for a run in the park! This was my first ever 5 mile so I had nothing to compare it to. I was aiming for sub 40 so my vague plan was to do the first km in 5 minutes, hit mile one in 8 minutes, then speed up a bit, taking advantage of the down hill, slow a bit on the uphill and then just run as fast as I could til the finish! The waves were sub 40, 40-50 and 50+ so I thought I'd slot in to the back of wave one. After a short warm up and a few stretches I took my place but not long before the start realised I was at the back of the 40-50 wave. I manged to make my way up to the front but there was a barrier there so decided to stay in the front of that wave. I think I saw AnnaPR and Aquinn at the back of the first wave but couldn't get to them.

I was right up the front, in the second row which makes a pleasant change! The race started and next thing everyone is haring past me. I checked my watch and was doing a 4:30km so I just ran at my own pace and let them stream past me. I was feeling good but kept the pace in check reminding myself it was not a 5K race! My watch beeped at 1km as 4:59 which was right on plan, then at the first mile marker I think I saw 7:55 so I was happy.

After this I got a bit complacent and I kind of forgot to speed up! When we crossed Chesterfield avenue I realised I'd dropped under a 5 min km so I needed to get a move on. I remembered Pacing Mules report about telling himself to HTFU so that's what I did! Once we hit the downhill I was flying. I nearly broke an ankle here last year running on the grass as the path was so congested, but it wasn't too bad this year so I kept to the path and tried to relax and let gravity help me out. I knew there was an uphill coming so once we turned I reduced my stride but tried to keep up the pace. It was here I passed all the eejits who flew past me at the start!

It all gets a bit hazy after this, I just kept on going, trying to keep under the magic 5 min per km. I didn't bother stopping at the water station as I didn't think I needed it and I knew a few seconds could cost me the 40 mins. I thought I heard someone shout "Go Chickey" around here but I'd gone past before I could see who it was. Thanks whoever it was! When my watch beeped at 5K it read 24:30 which is exactly my PB for 5K.

There were a good few people walking the hill at this stage. I had to walk it in the 10mile last year so I was determined to keep running even though I did slow a bit.

The last mile was a killer. A few people were stopping to walk and I felt like shouting at them to keep going but I didn't have the breath! I really wanted to stop, I was so close to it, but I just keep going, waving my wand like crazy! Once I heard the commentary at the finish and realised I was nearly there I magically got a burst of energy. I even managed a bit of a sprint to the finish. The clock read 43:32 but since I was in the second wave I knew I'd done better than that. Checked my watch but hadn't stopped it! It read 40:03 when I did which was exactly what McMillan said I could do it in!
    Final chip time: 40:00 so not a sub 40, but not far off!

All in all I was happy with today. It's a PB and I equaled my 5K PB time which makes me think I should be able to reduce that!
    In my effort not to start out to fast, I got a bit lazy and didn't speed up enough in the second mile but apart from that I think I did it justice. I was delighted with the fairly even pace despite the hills. My first and last km are almost the same.

Splits 4:59/4:46/4:55/4:37/5:09/4:42/5:11/5:01/(4:17)

A funny thing happed at the finish. One of the top finishing ladies has a very similar name to me. The commentator was congratulating her on her and for a fraction of a second I thought he was talking about me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hayfever ok today? Tough course so well done. Sorry I didn't see you.

aquinn wrote: »
    Hayfever ok today? Tough course so well done. Sorry I didn't see you.

I took some drugs before I left so was OK during the race but in the car home I was sneezing like crazy!
    How did you do? Ignore that, just read your log!

• Advertisement

Well done on the pb chickey! Nicely run and LOL to the wand waving he he. I bet you have a new 5k pb coming soon :-)

Big congrats on the pb!!! Enjoy the celebrations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done, Chickey, that's a fantastic result! I didn't see you at all (I was at the roundabout around 1.5 miles, then about 100m from the finish).

I got talking to a woman at the roundabout who was there to support her daughter (who only took up running 2 years ago :eek:) and said her daughter was hoping to do 28 mins today. Sure enough she came tearing into view in 3rd place and held on for the podium. Very similar name to yours :D.

Really well done... Especially keeping up the pace all the way. You'll definitely smash that 5k time too.

Sorry we missed you, that was us you saw lurking at the back of wave 1. We kept an eye out for you afterwards too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Congratulations Chickey....what a fantastic time!!

Firedance wrote: »
    Well done on the pb chickey! Nicely run and LOL to the wand waving he he. I bet you have a new 5k pb coming soon :-)
    Thanks! Might have to do a parkrun sometime as I've no other 5Ks planned.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Big congrats on the pb!!! Enjoy the celebrations!!!
    Thanks! Had a lovely steak and a nice cab sav for dinner!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done, Chickey, that's a fantastic result! I didn't see you at all (I was at the roundabout around 1.5 miles, then about 100m from the finish).

I got talking to a woman at the roundabout who was there to support her daughter (who only took up running 2 years ago :eek:) and said her daughter was hoping to do 28 mins today. Sure enough she came tearing into view in 3rd place and held on for the podium. Very similar name to yours :D.
    I was keeping an eye out for pom poms but didn't see any...
    LOL that was the girl I meant! They were congratulating her on coming third and I thought to myself, I came third?! Then realised there was no way in hell I was third! It's funny how the brain works after running your socks off! Fair play to her, she's in my age category and she started running at the same time as me!
    annapr wrote: »
    Really well done... Especially keeping up the pace all the way. You'll definitely smash that 5k time too.

Sorry we missed you, that was us you saw lurking at the back of wave 1. We kept an eye out for you afterwards too!
    I was considering hopping over to barrier to you as I knew you had a similar goal, but then they started moving wave 1 forward and I missed my chance. I kept an eye out for you after but the kids were just back from the playground and wanted to go home.
    Congratulations Chickey....what a fantastic time!!
    Thanks! Are you going to do any of the rest of the race series?

Yeah the half marathon lol. Are you?

Everything else clashes with something.

Yeah the half marathon lol. Are you?

Everything else clashes with something.

I'm doing the 10 mile and the half. I'm gutted I missed Dubgals flapjacks. She better make more the those races!

I'm doing the 10 mile and the half. I'm gutted I missed Dubgals flapjacks. She better make more the those races!

*whispers* she brought prosecco to the beer mile ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Congrats on the PB, chickey2!

Advertisement