Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions

Options
  • 04-05-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Ok guys first an foremost apologies for long post but here goes.

Since early 2013 I've been unable to compete in combat sports due to a recurring injury and surgery. Things were looking promising before the injury .However after 2 years of avoiding this i feel I'm ready to make another crack and return to boxing (kick-boxing is out for now, so boxing is my next choice)

The main issue I have with this is that I've been doing body building (and more recently power-building) ever since I had the issue and although I've made good progress and I really love it, there its just not the same adrenaline rush and excitement for me. Although in saying that I would not like to nullify all I've done in the last 2 years

My first question would be will it be possible to transition from bb'ing style training to boxing and include both while keeping a fairly similar body composition? or will sacrifices have to be made? In other words what would need to be done in order to maintain muscle yet train in boxing effectively

My second question is in relation to Weight training around boxing. Does the format/volume/frequency/intensity need to change?

The third question is in relation to nutrition. usually I run a 40c/30p/30f for bulking and a 40p/30c/30f for cutting. Would such macro splits be sufficient?

My final question is in relation to slow/fast twitch muscle fibers. In all respect to bb'ing i believe it primarily stimulates slow twitch whereas sports such as boxing require more fast twitch. Will weight training effect the boxing??

Im going to include the last two programs ive been on since May 2014 as a guide into the type of training i do, and i also perform 30-45m LISS cardio daily

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

I ran this from May 2014 until Dec 2014

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/6-day-powerbuilding-split-meal-plan

I've ran this with a few modifications ( day 2 legs is heavy deadlifts and back power work is low rep bent over bb rows) I've found this the most intense and rewarding

I would consider myself reasonably strong for my size. Nothing spectacular but no weakling

Stats are as follows = Height 5,10. weight 75.5kgs bf is 11%

Bench 3rm = 110kgs
    Squat 3rm = 130kgs
    Deadlift 3rm = 160kgs
    BB row 3rm = 100kgs

Im a long time user of this forum guys so id really appreciate some solid advice here. I've always tried to contribute in a good way. id particular be happy to hear from people who work in the field such as Transform/Hanley, or anyone that has experience from the boxing side of things. Thanks :)

Advertisement