Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Apps - ya or nay?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

26 year old guy here and have just downloaded the Couch To 5k running app! Have any of you used them and found them useful? Do they work or are they a gimmick?

Just a bit of background info, in case it's relevant:

I smoke (but am gonna quit after my exams in a couple of weeks)

Used to be a good sprinter (won medals as a teen) but was never good at any kind of long distance, my stamina was terrible

I'm pretty slim (5'10 and about 11 stone)

I just want to get fit, really. Although I'm slim, I have an annoying little pouch of fat on my stomach that I want to get rid of, so I need to increase my cardio exercise, which for the last couple of years has been non existent.

Any help anyone could give me would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nothing gimmicky about C25K. It's just a structured approach to improve your capacity to run from a low starting point. Definitely worth giving it a go.

A huge amount of posters in this forum and in the Athletics and Running forum started out with couch to 5km.

It's not a gimmick, it's a training plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

A huge amount of posters in this forum and in the Athletics and Running forum started out with couch to 5km.

It's not a gimmick, it's a training plan.

Ah right, I wasn't knocking it or anything when i asked if it was a gimmick, I just had absolutely no idea whether or not it was useful as a starting tool. I'll definitely give it a go though!

jungleman wrote: »
    Ah right, I wasn't knocking it or anything when i asked if it was a gimmick, I just had absolutely no idea whether or not it was useful as a starting tool. I'll definitely give it a go though!

Oh I know you werent! I can understand if you don't know anything about it why you might think it was so just giving you an idea of how many have used it.

I did a similar programme, but with a group. It's easy progression to get you where you want to go.

Best of luck :)

Oh I know you werent! I can understand if you don't know anything about it why you might think it was so just giving you an idea of how many have used it.

I did a similar programme, but with a group. It's easy progression to get you where you want to go.

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the info. I'll try my best not to become one of those guys who posts their jogging map on facebook...! :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. I'll try my best not to become one of those guys who posts their jogging map on facebook...! :D

I have friends who do that and tbh I love it! Gives me motivation to get off my arse :P

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

Kind of irrelevant, but seeing this thread has given me the urge to go for a run (might be because I just ate God only knows how much Ben & Jerry's after dinner though - the Mammy was on portion control for dessert!). I'm going to download the app and give it a go as my stamina is non-existent (out of breath after 20 seconds of running).

Thanks a million, OP! Good luck with it all!

Kind of irrelevant, but seeing this thread has given me the urge to go for a run (might be because I just ate God only knows how much Ben & Jerry's after dinner though - the Mammy was on portion control for dessert!). I'm going to download the app and give it a go as my stamina is non-existent (out of breath after 20 seconds of running).

Thanks a million, OP! Good luck with it all!

Let me know how you get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

Let me know how you get on!!

I actually surprised myself. I didn't realise that I could even run for a minute straight! I think I'll redo day one again on Wednesday though, because it did take a bit of a push to finish the final bout of running, haha. Did you do it?

I actually surprised myself. I didn't realise that I could even run for a minute straight! I think I'll redo day one again on Wednesday though, because it did take a bit of a push to finish the final bout of running, haha. Did you do it?

not yet... I have my final year exams coming up soon and won't be finished them till the end of May, so all jogging will wait until the exams are over! But I'm definitely going to do it, went out and got some running gear today. Did it take long, the first step?

• Advertisement
Advertisement