Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking to rent smallholding

Options
  • 02-05-2015 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, i'm hoping someone can help me here. Myself and my boyfriend have been looking to move out of Dublin to a rural location within commuting distance of South Dublin to a smallholding in north Wicklow ideally. I've been looking on daft, toplink, done deal and other websites but having no luck. Is there some other way to find a house and a bit of land to rent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

ckelly83 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm hoping someone can help me here. Myself and my boyfriend have been looking to move out of Dublin to a rural location within commuting distance of South Dublin to a smallholding in north Wicklow ideally. I've been looking on daft, toplink, done deal and other websites but having no luck. Is there some other way to find a house and a bit of land to rent?

I would ring around a few local auctioneer,s and ask could they help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ckelly83

I've already done that but there's nothing. Smallholdings in north Wicklow seem to be a scarcity. Would a lot be rented out through word of mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

Any luck as of yet... looking for similar myself but without the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gretty26

I'm looking for something similar also. I want to have a complete change of lifestyle and want to become self-sufficient and more sustainable. If you get any answers can you post them please it would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

bradygaz wrote: »
    Any luck as of yet... looking for similar myself but without the house?

I have some land to rent without the house in north wicklow.
    PM me if you want more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

For more info, I have 7 acres, at least 3 or 4 available, maybe more. Three polytunnel frames on site.

Price wise, not sure, it's close to my house so the right person is more important than the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jennydev

Hi,

I've just been directed to this forum from the farming forum. I'm looking to buy a couple of acres North Wicklow for a smallholding. I'd take any kind of land, hilly, scrub etc! I would consider renting long-term, but would prefer to buy as I'd like to plant trees and make a garden also.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 batyushki

Hi jennydev, I currently have a one acre smallholding near Greystones but am looking to expand and buy additional land. I would be interested in cooperative ventures - buying farm land is much easier in larger acreages which can then be split up. I'll PM you - but posting this for everyone in case someone else in north Wicklow has the same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Hi,
    I spent many years looking to buy a small parcel of land. It can be difficult.
    I finally managed to do it, but it took a LONG LONG time, in fact I had officially given up and then something came up by chance. I was looking all over the country too. If you are restricting yourself to a half county then I fear it might not happen for you.
    Your options would seem to be:
    1) Move to a rural house with a few acres.
    2) Find a suitable field of a few acres that is in close to where you currently live
    3) Find a rural house with a few acres that isn't selling and see if they will rent for a while.
    I would have though Wicklow (North) is quite a desirable area so I doubt there are houses that dont sell?
    If you are restricted in the area you can search then all you can do is intensively research via the local auctioneers and various websites. Or network within the farming community of that area.

Advertisement