Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hamstring stretch

Options
  • 01-05-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

I've come across some really good glute and quad stretches (will post links when I'm at a computer) that basically involve sitting or pushing against a wall. I'm looking for something similar for my hamstrings. I know a good way of loosening hamstrings is working the reflexology points under the foot with a tennis ball but I'm looking for something similar to the above where there's something (like a wall) to offer resistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

For me it's lunge holds. I had a dodgy hamstring from playing sports in college and a physio had me doing those among others. But these are the only static ones I still really do. I'll also do some light barbell or dumbell Romanian Deadlifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Here is the glute stretch against the wall I was referring to and the quad stretch.

Can't seem to find anything similar re the hamstring.

For me it's lunge holds. I had a dodgy hamstring from playing sports in college and a physio had me doing those among others. But these are the only static ones I still really do. I'll also do some light barbell or dumbell Romanian Deadlifts.

Cheers, do you have a Youtube link?

Found one for the hamstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Lie on a floor at a doorway have your stretching leg up against the wall with the other leg out the door (if you get me) so in essence one leg will be up against the wall and the other on the floor.

Really effective stretches I get people to do all the time use Post Isometric relaxation. It allows the muscle to be stretched that bit further as compared to a static hold. Basically, contract the muscle for 10 seconds, relax it take a deep breath in and go into stretch on the out breath. So with a hamstring, you will be doing an action that would involve some sort of leg extenension, and then go in to stretch.

Another way of getting a deeper stretch is through Reciprocal Inhibition. Here you are trying to get the opposing muscle to work, there by switching off the muscle you want stretched allowing it to be stretched further. In your case, when you are stretching your hamstring, concentrate on contracting your quads at the same time as its the antagonist to the hamsrtings.

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    Lie on a floor at a doorway have your stretching leg up against the wall with the other leg out the door (if you get me) so in essence one leg will be up against the wall and the other on the floor.

Really effective stretches I get people to do all the time use Post Isometric relaxation. It allows the muscle to be stretched that bit further as compared to a static hold. Basically, contract the muscle for 10 seconds, relax it take a deep breath in and go into stretch on the out breath. So with a hamstring, you will be doing an action that would involve some sort of leg extenension, and then go in to stretch.

Another way of getting a deeper stretch is through Reciprocal Inhibition. Here you are trying to get the opposing muscle to work, there by switching off the muscle you want stretched allowing it to be stretched further. In your case, when you are stretching your hamstring, concentrate on contracting your quads at the same time as its the antagonist to the hamsrtings.

Ya, the one you mentioned in the first paragraph is the one I linked a video to. Great stretch.

I can't visualise the 2 other methods you mention. Would you have a Youtube link or something with pictures?

https://youtu.be/BJl5uPhWM6U

This is a good one to do. A belt or a band around the sole of the foot. What you are aiming to do is bring your foot down towards the ground against resistance (in this case the you resisting holding belt around your foot) you dont have to actually get your foot down to the ground. After a count of 8 -10 seconds, take a deep breath. On the exhale pull your leg towards your head to a point where you feel the stretch wont.go.further and hold that position for 30 seconds. Do that 3 to 4 times.

With regards to the second stretch you will be in the same position with the band around the foot. With this one what you want to do is have your leg in the air with out you holding it up that way your flexors are working to keep your leg up in the air allowing your hammer to switch off After ten seconds grab the band and bring your leg towards your head into a stretch. No need to take a breath with this one. If you cant picture it il do a video my self.and post it up

https://youtu.be/BJl5uPhWM6U

This is a good one to do. A belt or a band around the sole of the foot. What you are aiming to do is bring your foot down towards the ground against resistance (in this case the you resisting holding belt around your foot) you dont have to actually get your foot down to the ground. After a count of 8 -10 seconds, take a deep breath. On the exhale pull your leg towards your head to a point where you feel the stretch wont.go.further and hold that position for 30 seconds. Do that 3 to 4 times.

With regards to the second stretch you will be in the same position with the band around the foot. With this one what you want to do is have your leg in the air with out you holding it up that way your flexors are working to keep your leg up in the air allowing your hammer to switch off After ten seconds grab the band and bring your leg towards your head into a stretch. No need to take a breath with this one. If you cant picture it il do a video my self.and post it up

Understand now. I find its best to do the stretching at the top of the stairs so one leg is up against the wall and the other is in free space hanging out over the top of the stairs. Increases the hamstring stretch and also inside of the top my opposite leg. Crossing over the leg and having the other dangling increases the stretch on the hamstring on the opposite leg substantially. Kinda hard to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lunge stretch should be stretching the hip flexors, not the hamstring.
    The front leg being bent takes all the tension out of the hamstring.

PIR stretching is very effective, especially if the goal is to increase flexibility. But its probably worth pointing out that its not a good idea to do PIR stretching before training. As its more effective at lengthening the muscles, is also has the biggest short term weakening effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Found one for the hamstring.
    I do a similar relaxation stretch for my hamstrings.
    I lie on my back, with my two feet up on a wall. Starting out I'm about a foot away from the wall, where I can barely feel it in my hamstrings. As my hamstrings relax, I move closer and closer to the wall. There no time limit, you move when you feel the muscle relax. After a few minutes you'll be sitting right on top of the wall, bent at close to 90 degrees.

I recently found a P-chain stretching machine hidden in the corner of the gym. Normally I'd stretches are gimmicky. But this one is really good. Basically it allows you stretch hamstrings in a similar fashion to the wall stretch you posted above. But the "wall" is now a dynamic position. Plus it displays the angle you reach which is good to measure performance over time.
    http://www.technogym.com/media/immagini/065_277_posterior_no_timer_big.jpg

• Advertisement

PIR stretching is very effective, especially if the goal is to increase flexibility. But its probably worth pointing out that its not a good idea to do PIR stretching before training. As its more effective at lengthening the muscles, is also has the biggest short term weakening effect.[/QUOTE]

Agreed I would only tend to advise people to do active warm up or dynamic movements before any training session for the reasons you pointed out above.

Advertisement