Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman gets suspended sentence for assaulting child

Options
  • 01-05-2015 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

rte.ie/news/2015/0501/698131-suspended-sentence-for-assaulting-child/

What kind of justice system do we have eh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

lickme wrote: »
    rte.ie/news/2015/0501/698131-suspended-sentence-for-assaulting-child/

What kind of justice system do we have eh?

He said "on balance" a suspended sentence was appropriate

Another brilliant decision by an incompetent judge. (obviously without knowing all the facts but doing in to a kids room with intention of smacking him around seems quite stonewall.)

if it was a man who did this i wonder would a suspended sentence be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Judge Martin Nolan accepted that the woman had had "problems" of her own as she had miscarried around the time of the incident.

He also accepted the findings of a psychological report which indicated that the woman is not a threat to children.

He said "on balance" a suspended sentence was appropriate as "this was a crime committed under pressures and circumstances pertaining at the time."

Some of the circumstances being that she was drunk at the time. I now it's shooting a fish in a barrel to say this, but a man would not have got off with a suspended sentence in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

RTE wrote:
    She said she went to the boy's room while he was sleeping and started to punch him.

She then dragged him from his room into her own bedroom, where she threw him against a wall and he hit his head.

She brought the child downstairs where she told gardaí she continued to hit him with a mop......

........He also accepted the findings of a psychological report which indicated that the woman is not a threat to children.

well that's a relief. Was worried for a minute there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0501/698131-suspended-sentence-for-assaulting-child/

In that article some psychologist said that she was not a danger to children.

I think I would ask the child if she was a danger to him.

I do not believe a man would be treated so leniently for such an attack and being an obvious danger to children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Holy crap. Wow.

There goes his access rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

On the received evidence, I wouldn't have much faith in that psychologist.

What would count as a "threat to children"? If continued beating with a mop when drunk does not?

She later admitted to gardaí that she drank three bottles of wine that night and was upset and angry.

She said she went to the boy's room while he was sleeping and started to punch him.

She then dragged him from his room into her own bedroom, where she threw him against a wall and he hit his head.

She brought the child downstairs where she told gardaí she continued to hit him with a mop.

The woman told officers she did not have much recollection of the assault and she later fell asleep with the boy.

What the ****? She done all that to a six year old? Well that's all kinds of ****ed up. Poor youngfella

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This kinda thing boils my piss. Poor kid asleep in his bed, a place which should be the safest place in the world, dragged from a slumber to be beaten on a whim. The violation of his safety is more a crime than the physical abuse imo. How long before he sleeps easy again?

We should live in a society where we protect those who can not protect themselves. You abuse children and you should be punished harshly.

I hope the kid gets over this and doesn't fcuk them up too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Jesus ****ing christ! :eek:

The hell is wrong with the judges in this country? Seriously, suspended sentences handed out for everything under the sun. But if you don't pay your TV liscence? That's gonna land you in jail. ****ing hell :mad:

Some of the circumstances being that she was drunk at the time. I now it's shooting a fish in a barrel to say this, but a man would not have got off with a suspended sentence in similar circumstances.

How would a man miscarry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This kinda thing boils my piss. Poor kid asleep in his bed, a place which should be the safest place in the world, dragged from a slumber to be beaten on a whim. The violation of his safety is more a crime than the physical abuse imo. How long before he sleeps easy again?

We should live in a society where we protect those who can not protect themselves. You abuse children and you should be punished harshly.

I hope the kid gets over this and doesn't fcuk them up too much.

That's the scary part, the child wasn't doing anything, she can't argue that she was 'provoked' he was sleeping. :eek: How could anyone do that to a little kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

if he didn't lift from the knees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

She may not be doing time but I would be if she did that to my child. I'd break that mop in two halves off her back. The poor little boy was taken into care because his own dad even told the police he believed his girlfriend. What an evil bitch she is. When will parents learn to listen to children. I hope he's doing ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

So beating children is a non punishable offence...?

Sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Sad state of affairs.
    She has been punished, a suspended sentence is a punishment. She now has a criminal conviction against her.

Sad state of affairs.

I don't think the Court said that, did it?

I presume the Judge would only have dealt with the particular case in front of him. Where he handed down a punishment, a suspended sentence.

If he said that beating a child did not merit a punishment, then he is very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

She has been punished, a suspended sentence is a punishment. She now has a criminal conviction against her.

She can have another three bottles of wine tonight, and tomorrow ect. and do whatever else she wants as a free person.

That's not a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Couldn't give a f*ck what her personal circumstances were at the time, there's no excuse for getting hammered and taking out your anger by beating a helpless, innocent child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

The incompetence of the Irish judiciary never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I have a 6 year old child. The thought of someone doing anything like that to him makes my blood boil. She could have killed the poor kid.

The poor kid will be having nightmares for the rest of his childhood. What a horrible horrible thing for anyone to do to a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Why are the women rarely or never named in these cases to 'protect the child's identity' .....whereas if it's a male offender he'll always be named

She can have another three bottles of wine tonight, and tomorrow ect. and do whatever else she wants as a free person.

That's not a punishment.
    Yes, so?

Of course it's a punishment. If she comes before the courts again she'll have this 2 year sentence to do and whatever else she is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Of course it's a punishment. If she comes before the courts again she'll have this 2 year sentence to do and whatever else she is given.

It's not an appropriate punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

to be run concurrently?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Why are the women rarely or never named in these cases to 'protect the child's identity' .....whereas if it's a male offender he'll always be named

they don't name anybody if there is a child involved unless the child dies

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    It's not an appropriate punishment.
    According to you, yet according to a judge of many years experience who knows the full facts of the case it is.

What is an appropriate punishment in your eyes and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Akrasia wrote: »
    I have a 6 year old child. The thought of someone doing anything like that to him makes my blood boil. She could have killed the poor kid.

The poor kid will be having nightmares for the rest of his childhood. What a horrible horrible thing for anyone to do to a child.

Im assuming dad is non custodial but I could be wrong.

Assuming mother is the custodian I would not doubt for a second she will take out a restraining order via the family courts on the step mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Yes, so?

My arse
    A suspeneded sentence is like being told to behave yourself.
    Its a yellow card, its not a real punishment, its a threat of punishment if you dont cop on.
    Sentences should reflect societies' view of the offence. I think most right minded people would consider two years in prison lenient for brutally and repeatedly beating a child with obvious intent to harm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The child was lucky the psychological report said she was no danger to children !

I would hate to have seen what she would have done if she was a danger to children !

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Plenty of women miscarry without beating a tiny child senseless. :confused:

In fact its pretty rare to find a woman who hasn't experienced a miscarriage, considering they estimate 25% or more of pregnancies end in one. How the fcuk do you excuse beating one baby because you are sad you lost a different one??

My blood is boiling reading that, and I really hope that the boy is safe now.

Advertisement