Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seed fiddle?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

I have 0.5 acre to sow. Hard to get contractor to do small job like that. Anybody know where to buy seed fiddleor small small portable device to spread?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I have 0.5 acre to sow. Hard to get contractor to do small job like that. Anybody know where to buy seed fiddleor small small portable device to spread?

If its only a half acre, would you not spread it by hand? You could go across and back at different angles to make sure you have it all spread.

EDIT : Not at all what you want, but this is nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

If its only a half acre, would you not spread it by hand? You could go across and back at different angles to make sure you have it all spread.
    EDIT : Not at all what you want, but this is nice
    :)
    Seeds are fairly small, afraid I might spread it accurately or will run out if I spread by hand.
    EDIT : Not at all what you want, but this is nice
    I need a horse with that as well:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Is it grass your sowing?If so get a small farmer in with a fertilizer spreader,good a job for that size than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We oversowed a field few years ago. Got a handy lad with a small wagtail to spread seed and it did a great job.

My lawn is bigger than your half acre as I used one of the push spreaders on it, €20 from hire centre and it spread lime and fertiliser too.

IH784man wrote: »
    Is it grass your sowing?If so get a small farmer in with a fertilizer spreader,good a job for that size than anything else

Can't trust the contractor to do it though. I paid him 150 euro to spray 0.5 acres with round-up and plough/rotovate it. He never bothered with the round-up. Paid him upfront. I live away from farm so didn't find out till when it was ploughed that he skipped the round-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Sounds as if you need something like this
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200247624_200247624
    which I'm looking into myself as my land is steeply sloped.

Chisler2 wrote: »
    Sounds as if you need something like this
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200247624_200247624
    which I'm looking into myself as my land is steeply sloped.

That's exactly what I'm looking for!!! I will be reseeding the cover crop every year so to have something like that is ideal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do it by hand from a bucket on a windy day. What are you sowing? Then roll it if it's dry, if it's pissing rain like today you won't need to roll it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Do it by hand from a bucket on a windy day. What are you sowing? Then roll it if it's dry, if it's pissing rain like today you won't need to roll it.

Planting Phacelia (https://www.maceoinltd.com/phacelia-gamebird-cover-crop/) in autumn as cover crop. The seed is expensive enough so doing by hand might be a bit wasteful.

Planting Phacelia (https://www.maceoinltd.com/phacelia-gamebird-cover-crop/) in autumn as cover crop. The seed is expensive enough so doing by hand might be a bit wasteful.

Worth taking time over for such highly desirable properties! "Produces a large root mass.......... soil improver and weed suppressant......... produce a multitude of flowers attracting beneficial insects...... good nitrogen scavenger. This definitely goes on my wildflower meadow list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

That is a whopper of a mark-up! Same item retails at $40 (39.99) here! Do you think it is combination of lack of demand + import taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Chisler2 wrote: »
    That is a whopper of a mark-up! Same item retails at $40 (39.99) here! Do you think it is combination of lack of demand + import taxes?
    Shipping costs, customs duties, exporter's cut, importer's cut, distributor's cut, etc., smaller market to recover those costs. Don't forget it also includes VAT, your price probably doesn't include sale taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Shipping costs, customs duties, exporter's cut, importer's cut, distributor's cut, etc., smaller market to recover those costs. Don't forget it also includes VAT, your price probably doesn't include sale taxes.

At present US dollor is 0.91 euro. I imagine the oldmcdonalds are dealing direct with supplier in US day of distributors and importers are gone, More than likly it costing less that 35 US dollors EX US as local taxes are recoverable on export. Transport is no longer a huge cost. For a business buying different products from same supplier or willing to take a pallet of a product the cost/item is small.

Allowing for Transport, and 20% import tax you are looking at having the product in you warehouse for below 45 Euro Norther tool is making a profit as well so by dealing direct with orginal supplier you will buy for a way less than NT pirice. EX vat the item is at 77.23 euro. This is a fairly substancial mark up.

I imagine by buying direct off NT and paying Import tax, VAT and Transport you would still be below the 95 euro mark

Advertisement