Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal trainer experiences..

Options
  • 29-04-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice off personal trainers/clients.

I enlisted the services of a PT. So far, I'm very disappointed at the service...

I made my goals clear at the start: to be able to do a few pull ups (can't do any unassisted atm) and to improve my squats and deadlifts. I'm a gal dying to get stronger, not afraid of heavy weight and eating fairly right (80% of the time anyway :-P) - should this not be music to a PTs ears? I feel completely fobbed off.

My sessions have been toughish- but honestly I haven't received much guidance and not being pushed as hard as I could be. I would have expected a plan (one was supposed to have been emailed to me-never did) and some mention of nutrition.(never mentioned calories/protein/food at all- is it not supposed to be more than half the battle!)

I said I'd take 10 sessions... but I don't want to throw good money after bad. The trainer looks at the phone and texts constantly throughout the sessions and seems genuinely disinterested. I'm even considering moving gyms to be honest. As I said, I expected a plan and an idea of how I should be progressing. My sessions so far seemed made up as we went along....

Sorry for the rant I just want to know if I am being unreasonable?
    I guess I should have really done a bit more research :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice off personal trainers/clients.

I enlisted the services of a PT. So far, I'm very disappointed at the service...

I made my goals clear at the start: to be able to do a few pull ups (can't do any unassisted atm) and to improve my squats and deadlifts. I'm a gal dying to get stronger, not afraid of heavy weight and eating fairly right (80% of the time anyway :-P) - should this not be music to a PTs ears? I feel completely fobbed off.

My sessions have been toughish- but honestly I haven't received much guidance and not being pushed as hard as I could be. I would have expected a plan (one was supposed to have been emailed to me-never did) and some mention of nutrition.(never mentioned calories/protein/food at all- is it not supposed to be more than half the battle!)

I said I'd take 10 sessions... but I don't want to throw good money after bad. The trainer looks at the phone and texts constantly throughout the sessions and seems genuinely disinterested. I'm even considering moving gyms to be honest. As I said, I expected a plan and an idea of how I should be progressing. My sessions so far seemed made up as we went along....

Sorry for the rant I just want to know if I am being unreasonable?
    I guess I should have really done a bit more research :(
    "trainer looks at the phone and texts constantly throughout the sessions and seems genuinely disinterested".

thats a ****ing disgrace!

Where do you live and whats the gym (please dont mention the trainer but the gym is grand)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Get a new trainer. Seriously.

Have you committed to the 10 fully already?

Regardless, it smells of 'get out of there'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Get a new trainer, get out of there, run away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Ask for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

1st thing,about not being pushed as hard as could be..usually with strength training its not going to be 'oh my god that's ridiciously hard'
    it will be a set of hard work but then with sufficent rest to recover to go again..usually between 1-3 mins.

unlike say circuit training where it would be high intensity station to station with little rest,but this wont do much for strength.
    so i wouldn't be too worried about that part.

but......

everything else comes off as completely unprofessional.i would try get a refund and try someone else who is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My sessions have been toughish- but honestly I haven't received much guidance and not being pushed as hard as I could be.
    Pushing yourself as hard as possible every session isn't a good way to get stronger.
    I would have expected a plan (one was supposed to have been emailed to me-never did) and some mention of nutrition.(never mentioned calories/protein/food at all- is it not supposed to be more than half the battle!)
    I'd have expect a plan and nutrition too.
    The trainer looks at the phone and texts constantly throughout the sessions and seems genuinely disinterested.
    That's awful tbh.

It sounds like he either isn't bothered, or isn't able to program for your goals and its easier for him to just go with a cookie cutter program for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭COH

I would do the following...

A) Bring your phone to training too
    B) Stop mid set and text your PT asking 'if you are about f*cking ready there I'd like the service I've actually paid for'
    C) Take a video of his/her reaction
    D) Fire them anyway

Thats a total BOSS move right there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

...before you do any of that, I'd advise the non-passive aggressive option of talking to the PT and asking what's going on.

Crazy idea I know, but it just might work.

Hanley wrote: »
    ...before you do any of that, I'd advise the non-passive aggressive option of talking to the PT and asking what's going on.

I honestly wouldn't.

If your trainer is not fired with enthusiasm to work with you and help you the fire them with enthusiasm.

That's not something you can change in a conversation

You still haven't mentioned where you live and gym.

We might be able to recommend someone else

• Advertisement

Talking to someone like this wont help. You have no trust with them now, they have shown themselves to be completely incompetent (at best). You have to believe and see that a personal trainer is fully committed to helping you reach your goals. Otherwise it's doomed to failure and you're only wasting your money. There's too many of these below standard personal trainers in gyms I believe. I don't know why gyms let them in? Do they not assess them before they hire them? Is it just if they have the right qualifacations they can get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why?

There are lots of trainers out there, why waste time trying to convince one in particular to be professional? The OP doesn't owe this guy a damn thing, just get rid and move to a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

you should just CHITB , imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tell the trainer why he is being let go but definitely don't waste your time waiting for this person to turn it around, while charging you for the privilege.

you should just CHITB , imo

What's that? Chin him in the buttox?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

noway12345 wrote: »
    What's that? Chin him in the buttox?

Charm him in to bed?

c*nt him in the basta rd :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭COH

Coordinate his irritable tiramisu boundaries?

mmmm tiramisu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cuddle his itchy tiny balls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Cradle his Intimate, Tasty Boner

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sack him. He clearly doesn't value your business.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Clatter Him In The Bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

What is CHITB???

I wont be charming him into bed anytime soon, if he's as half arsed in bed as he is at his job he would be no good to me.. ;)

Exactly the reason I hired a PT was to get away from the cookie cutter gym program as someone called it... Its 20min Xtrain, chest press, shoulder press, lat pull down and leg curl/extension every time- not cutting it anymore.

I wouldn't be the most assertive person and I hate confrontation. I won't be naming the gym. I haven't paid upfront just because I sensed disinterest from even the emails...
    RAW isn't too far from me so going to check that at the weekend- kind of pricey but possibly a better investment than a useless personal trainer and I've heard great things about it.

I take on board what people said about strength not meaning being pushed hard.. I just feel weird carrying a towel in the gym if I'm not going to use it. I do enjoy a good sweaty cardio session but I get that its not the same feeling maybe as strength training.

Hanley, I was lurking on your FB page and great advice especially about the diet... I've gone from 34% BF to 26% at the mo. Aiming for 22% and realising the toughest is yet to come as I've hit the plateu.

There has to be a 6 pack under that 4% layer of bodyfat.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Exactly the reason I hired a PT was to get away from the cookie cutter gym program as someone called it... Its 20min Xtrain, chest press, shoulder press, lat pull down and leg curl/extension every time- not cutting it anymore.
    He does sound pretty awful, but is it possible he's using his phone to log in the weights/reps you're doing? I use an App called Easy Gym Log when I'm training people to record everything. I'm sure it just looks like I'm standing there texting though. I'd always explain this to the client and I wouldn't do it literally mid-set. He should be watching your form intently.

I take on board what people said about strength not meaning being pushed hard.. I just feel weird carrying a towel in the gym if I'm not going to use it. I do enjoy a good sweaty cardio session but I get that its not the same feeling maybe as strength training.

Even if I'm doing a strength session with a client, I normally finish it with something high intensity like a metcon or intervals. Partly because the client doesn't feel like they've had a good workout unless they leave the gym all sweaty and breathless. Also, I've found they're not happy unless their tummies and core are sore too. So I normally do some sort of ab work at the end.

Even when you explain to people that getting stronger on the compound movements and fixing their diet is what's going to get them results, they can't seem to let go of the idea that they just need to do loads of sit ups and cardio. Occasionally even when I finish a good hour session with a client I'll spot them sneaking back to do more abs or run on the treadmill.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I made my goals clear at the start: to be able to do a few pull ups (can't do any unassisted atm) and to improve my squats and deadlifts. :(

This definitely works for pulls up and pretty quickly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057383712

What is CHITB???

I wont be charming him into bed anytime soon, if he's as half arsed in bed as he is at his job he would be no good to me.. ;)

I wouldn't be the most assertive person and I hate confrontation. I won't be naming the gym. I haven't paid upfront just because I sensed disinterest from even the emails...
    RAW isn't too far from me so going to check that at the weekend- kind of pricey but possibly a better investment than a useless personal trainer and I've heard great things about it.

Hanley, I was lurking on your FB page and great advice especially about the diet... I've gone from 34% BF to 26% at the mo. Aiming for 22% and realising the toughest is yet to come as I've hit the plateu.

There has to be a 6 pack under that 4% layer of bodyfat.
    damn someone work with this lady NOW!

Dream client

Transform wrote: »
    damn someone work with this lady NOW!

Dream client

lurking on peoples facebook profiles would be a redflag to me though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're checking out Raw, you should check out COH, who posts here, for a trainer.

• Advertisement

If you're checking out Raw, you should check out COH, who posts here, for a trainer.
    second that

Advertisement