Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Intake - Female Weights Training

Options
  • 29-04-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I am into my 8th week of a 12 week programme after starting from scratch weights training.

I do a 1 hour 15min almost pure free-weights workout five mornings a week. I have a question in relation to Protein intake.

Going by information I have read online, I should consume somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5g of protein per pound of body weight, which would leave me at a recommended intake of 160g per day. I don't have any excess bodyfat to shift.

I am supplementing with Pea protein as whey doesn't work for me as I am lactose intolerant. The label says 16g of protein per 30g scoop, am i reading it correctly saying that that is just 16g out of my daily total? It seems very low...

Before the gym I eat porridge oats soaked over-night in Almond milk with some added dried fruit, chai seeds and ground flax seed. When I get home from the gym, I have my pea protein shake with almond milk and frozen fruit cubes. Lunch is usually home-made butternut squash soup, three or four crackoats and goats cheese.

For dinner I have a huge plate of green veg and two servings of meat or fish.

I had stopped taking protein shake before bed, but I think I might need to start that one again. Am i missing the mark a mile in my intake requirement on that diet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I am into my 8th week of a 12 week programme after starting from scratch weights training.

I do a 1 hour 15min almost pure free-weights workout five mornings a week. I have a question in relation to Protein intake.

Going by information I have read online, I should consume somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5g of protein per pound of body weight, which would leave me at a recommended intake of 160g per day. I don't have any excess bodyfat to shift.

I am supplementing with Pea protein as whey doesn't work for me as I am lactose intolerant. The label says 16g of protein per 30g scoop, am i reading it correctly saying that that is just 16g out of my daily total? It seems very low...

Before the gym I eat porridge oats soaked over-night in Almond milk with some added dried fruit, chai seeds and ground flax seed. When I get home from the gym, I have my pea protein shake with almond milk and frozen fruit cubes. Lunch is usually home-made butternut squash soup, three or four crackoats and goats cheese.

I had stopped taking protein shake before bed, but I think I might need to start that one again. Am i missing the mark a mile in my intake requirement on that diet?

Best way to get a better estimate of protein intake is plug your food into MyFitnessPal and you'll get a breakdown. But that sounds about right for the protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pea protein isn't very high in protein based on those numbers.
    Have you tried whey isolate? Basically regular whey with residual fat and lactose (sugar) removed.
    A 30g serving has around 27g protein

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

really depends, whats the goal?

Whats your height/weight?

Do you eat eggs? Can you get more protein in at lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Thanks for the replies... I'm 5ft 9 and weight 10stone on the nose. I was 9.2 stone this time last year, but a combination of eating more and working out has seen my weight go up a bit which is fine, probably needed.

So the aim is to build muscle and get stronger, I started from a very low base as I was quite thin and had nearly no muscle tone. My workout is varied, do Shoulders and Arms two days a week, chest and back two days and legs one day.

Shoulders & Arms:
    Military pressing 24kg, 70 reps in 15 mins.
    Standing overhead rotating press 8.5kg 5 x 10 reps and two other lateral movements also at 5 reps of 10 roatated.
    Straight bar Bicep curl is 23kg, 5 reps of 7.

Chest & Back:
    Bench press is 35kg, 70 reps approx in 15 mins
    Lateral pull down is 42.5kg, again 65-70 reps in 15 mins.
    Dumbell Bench Press at 8.5kg 5 reps of 10

Deadlift is 60kg, 6 reps of 6 and squat is 55kg 2 reps of 15... Hope I have that all right

Eggs aren't great for me either, I like nothing more than a boiled egg chopped up with a little salt and butter but I get like a tightness or what feels like a pain in my digestive system after eating them, probably gas related.

Might give the whey isolate a go, this is the whey product that I had the problem with:

http://kickstartfitness.ie/product/matador-muscle-premium-whey-2-27kg/

Soy protein doesn't work either. Someone recommended Hemp protein to me, is that any better than pea? The pea protein I'm taking has about 16g of protein per scoop.

Thanks for the replies... I'm 5ft 9 and weight 10stone on the nose. I was 9.2 stone this time last year, but a combination of eating more and working out has seen my weight go up a bit which is fine, probably needed.

So the aim is to build muscle and get stronger, I started from a very low base as I was quite thin and had nearly no muscle tone. My workout is varied, do Shoulders and Arms two days a week, chest and back two days and legs one day.

Shoulders & Arms:
    Military pressing 24kg, 70 reps in 15 mins.
    Standing overhead rotating press 8.5kg 5 x 10 reps and two other lateral movements also at 5 reps of 10 roatated.
    Straight bar Bicep curl is 23kg, 5 reps of 7.

Chest & Back:
    Bench press is 35kg, 70 reps approx in 15 mins
    Lateral pull down is 42.5kg, again 65-70 reps in 15 mins.
    Dumbell Bench Press at 8.5kg 5 reps of 10

Deadlift is 60kg, 6 reps of 6 and squat is 55kg 2 reps of 15... Hope I have that all right

Eggs aren't great for me either, I like nothing more than a boiled egg chopped up with a little salt and butter but I get like a tightness or what feels like a pain in my digestive system after eating them, probably gas related.

Might give the whey isolate a go, this is the whey product that I had the problem with:

http://kickstartfitness.ie/product/matador-muscle-premium-whey-2-27kg/

Soy protein doesn't work either. Someone recommended Hemp protein to me, is that any better than pea? The pea protein I'm taking has about 16g of protein per scoop.
    Thats not a program, thats a list of movements, get a properly designed program

Ive never in all my years seen reps listed as total reps done over a 12-15mins period so that was new to me.

this might help also (someone else can explain it)

Protein-Powder-Chart-EDIT-1.jpg

christ didnt mean for the pic to be so big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Transform wrote: »
    Thats not a program, thats a list of movements, get a properly designed program

Ive never in all my years seen reps listed as total reps done over a 12-15mins period so that was new to me.

this might help also (someone else can explain it)

christ didnt mean for the pic to be so big

I have a proper programme and a personal trainer, I'm obviously not explaining it correctly. I did say I was starting out so am new to all of this and don't know the correct terminology or how I should correctly write my programme down.
    Anyway, my question was not to do with my programme, it was to do with my protein intake as I wasn't sure what was enough. Thanks for replying but you come across fairly dismissive to be honest.

I have a proper programme and a personal trainer, I'm obviously not explaining it correctly. I did say I was starting out so am new to all of this and don't know the correct terminology or how I should correctly write my programme down.
    Anyway, my question was not to do with my programme, it was to do with my protein intake as I wasn't sure what was enough. Thanks for replying but you come across fairly dismissive to be honest.
    Sorry I came across as being dismissive.

Suggestion - take digestive enzymes before the foods that can cause an issue and see if that helps.

Lots of people benefit from taking these even in the short term

I recommend super enzymes from now foods

Or the udos digestive enzymes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Transform is in a very direct mood today :). His advice is solid gold though and it's great that he takes the time to give it for free!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Transform is in a very direct mood today :). His advice is solid gold though and it's great that he takes the time to give it for free!
    Lol

Look at times I don't have the patience to beat around the bush so I'm direct.

If people take it up the wrong way then that's a pity as it's never intended - unless it's about that eejit banging on about Ct fletcher

Advertisement