Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about weights

Options
  • 28-04-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Hi atm im trying to lose weight. Im not obese or anything but could do with losing the belly, so I cut out all the fatty foods and I walk a few times a day. while im losing the belly I want to start building up my arms

Ive started 3 days ago using a curl bar with 10kg on it, I do 30 reps about 10 times threw out the day but im ferling nothing the next morning.

I did weights alot a few years ago and I remember the next morning my muscles used be killing me, am I not doing enough or what? Also while im actually doing the weights I can feel it alot more in my right arm than my left even tho im right handed??? Is that normal thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

sorry what's the question again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

colossus-x wrote: »
    sorry what's the question again?

There's two. They have a "?" after them.

1) Are they doing enough training

2) Is it normal to feel one side of the body working harder than the other

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Hi atm im trying to lose weight. Im not obese or anything but could do with losing the belly, so I cut out all the fatty foods and I walk a few times a day. while im losing the belly I want to start building up my arms

Ive started 3 days ago using a curl bar with 10kg on it, I do 30 reps about 10 times threw out the day but im ferling nothing the next morning.

I did weights alot a few years ago and I remember the next morning my muscles used be killing me, am I not doing enough or what? Also while im actually doing the weights I can feel it alot more in my right arm than my left even tho im right handed??? Is that normal thanks

Your arms won't grow in isolation from a few curls. You probably need a more comprehensive and varied program to see progress.

It's not too surprising you feel more in your dominant hand, you probably have a better "mind muscle" connection with that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Hanley wrote: »
    There's two. They have a "?" after them.

1) Are they doing enough training

2) Is it normal to feel one side of the body working harder than the other

Ya there the 2 questions

Hanley wrote: »
    Your arms won't grow in isolation from a few curls. You probably need a more comprehensive and varied program to see progress.

It's not too surprising you feel more in your dominant hand, you probably have a better "mind muscle" connection with that side.

So what can I do besides curls ? I dont have dumbells atm. Why arent my muscles sore in the mornings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

If you're trying to build up muscle in your arms, id suggest 1) decrease the sets to 3 or 4 of any exercise and 2) increase the weight so you are struggling by the last set. And finally, get other exercises to do. You don't want to overwork one muscle and never use another.

rottie 11 wrote: »
    So what can I do besides curls ? I dont have dumbells atm. Why arent my muscles sore in the mornings

I'd tell you, but I'd have to charge you €200+.

Simply because it seems like the knowledge gap is too big to bridge with an internet post.

Maybe someone else can help by linking to a BB.com article on how to train arms with just a barbell or something...

Something like:

A1) Slow Tempo Curls: 3x6 @ 3030
    A2) Slow Tempo Skull Crushers: 3x6 @ 3030

B1) Reverse Curls: 3x12
    B2) Close Grip Push Up: 3x12

C1) Barbell Curls: 3x25
    C2) Close Grip Floor Press: 3x25

TheBrinch wrote: »
    If you're trying to build up muscle in your arms, id suggest 1) decrease the sets to 3 or 4 of any exercise and 2) increase the weight so you are struggling by the last set. And finally, get other exercises to do. You don't want to overwork one muscle and never use another.

So increase the weight by 5kg and do about 4 sets of 15 ?? And thats it ?

starting to feel it now in my shoulders and sides of neck:)

I bought dumbbells today and im wondering is this workout ok for a starter.

DUMBELLS: 10KG on each
    6 Sets of 10-14

BENCH: 36kg
    4 sets of 8-10

I do another exercise then for traps, not sure what its called but I use a curl bar with 18kg on it and so about 6 sets of 8

If I do that workout every 2nd day should I see results. Im only a beginner . Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The soreness you were feeling in the mornings is most likely Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or DOMS. You get it after you've torn lots of muscle fibres (which is caused by lifting weights) and you're body isn't used to it. You stopped feeling sore in the mornings because your body adapted to it.

I'm not a sports scientist, so I don't know the exact science behind it, but pretty much anytime I get it it's because I've suddenly increased volume, frequency or if I come back from holidays or haven't trained in a while, I'll get it for the first week back or so.

You can google most of this stuff, but DOMS is not a sign that you're making progress; you're making progress if you can see yourself lifting more weight for more reps, and in your case, your bodyweight is falling.

• Advertisement

Cheery mighty mandarin

I know it will take time to see results anyway but as you said when I can lift more weight for longer then thats when im making progress. Thanks

Advertisement