Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'Arcy asks MD of Radio to remove Nuacht - MOD NOTE #76

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

As mentioned previously, the bigger issue is that it is fairly irrelevant of what was to come on at 3:30 during his broadcast. He is paid a handsome sum of money in which he should be able to organise his interviews and stick to the schedule. The fact that he can not even get the name of the presenter he is handing over to correctly speaks volumes of his attitude, work ethic and the respect he has for his colleagues. "It's nobody's fault and everybody's fault"...ehhh what? It's nobody's fault but yours Ray, you're the only one who messed up.

God knows what happened to that happy go lucky, pleasant presenter that was on The Den all those moons ago.

Could be the lack of sugar?

I just listened to the clip in the interview linked in one of the posts above.

So am I correct in saying what happened is:

Ray was interviewing a guest who has cancer.

Interview had to be interrupted go to the news at 3.30.

Because the news was in Irish, D'arcy throws his toys out of the pram.

As others have pointed out, why couldn't they have allocated enough time to the interview in the first place and maybe remove another piece or have it after the news?

And if it was the 4 o clock news (in English) would he have thrown such a hissy fit? I'd say Ray sees the Irish language as a relic of old Catholic Ireland (where everybody drank load of booze, smoked loads, drove too fast, drove while drunk, had sugar in their tea, drank 7 Up, didn't run, didn't cycle, didn't drink wine and didn't own a Rachel Allen cook book) and is just venting because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

jimmyw wrote: »
    Yeah I was listening to the podcast of the piece with Una Mullally and I got the impression that he was peed off with having to go to it in the middle of a serious interview.

I doubt that was the case as it never bothered him when he was on Today FM and hardly a day went by when he didn't cut short an interview because of an ad break or the news.

Not to sure how many times I heard him saying how he had to go to the news or have an ad break less than a minute into an interview.

I wouldn't be in favor of his demands anyways as for me listening to the Nuacht is the most entertaining part of his show.

Keep the Nuacht and bring back Mooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bacachb2

yum, yum

Babhla uachtair or whatever you're having yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Interview- finish interview, nuacht, next interview....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm no fan of Irish being rammed down people's throats, but I kind of like the Nuacht. It's only on for a minute or two, and it's a nice little reminder that I know more Irish than I thought I did. There should probably be some kind of compromise - have it immediately before or after the news on the hour instead, maybe. Or just move it to 4:30, immediately after the show.

Whatever about Ray D'Arcy, they should definitely remove it from Ronan Collins' show - the most interrupted hour in Irish radio. He'd be well within his rights to be annoyed about all the interruptions (Angelus, Nuacht, Liveline promo, Sea Area forecast), but he always sounds very cheerful about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He seems to really enjoy his show. Always happy and enthusiastic. Plays the odd decent tune too. When his show comes on after Sean O'Rourke, I rarely find myself rushing to switch over.

Ray D'Arcy, on the other hand, usually sounds like he's being forced to present the show against his will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I've just listened to this and I have to say that was the most ignorant and rude thing I've ever heard. Totally uncalled for. Who does this guy think he is? Someone really needs to have a chat with him and put a bit of manners on him.

gobo99 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

johnire wrote: »
    I've just listened to this and I have to say that was the most ignorant and rude thing I've ever heard. Totally uncalled for. Who does this guy think he is? Someone really needs to have a chat with him and put a bit of manners on him.

Jesus Christ. I can't stand Ray D'arcy but I at least thought he had some semblance of professionalism. I guess I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

gobo99 wrote: »

There's a pretty funny line in the comments below that article:

"Is mise a rinne an BBC!"

Jesus Christ. I can't stand Ray D'arcy but I at least thought he had some semblance of professionalism. I guess I was wrong.

He has a HUGE opinion of himself
    I cannot listen to him at all, he sounds so hesitant, no flow at all to him

I honestly cannot see him lasting in that slot

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Has Ray not got his passport yet, Kenny has been the Taoiseach a few years wasn't he supposed to leave the country if Kenny got into power. Used to like him for few years when he first started on the radio but now he just likes to hear himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I was listening that day but I missed that bit.. Fairly shocking from D'Arcy... Complaining to one of his guests about the how his employer runs the station... No offence to Una Mullaly, but it wasnt the sort of interview that couldnt be put on hold for a few minutes and then picked up again... His attitude, about everything, really stinks. He is simply not suited to a light entertainment afternoon show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Folks this is a discussion thread about Nuacht. Please continue the Ray Darcy discussion on the Ray Darcy Thread.
    Changing title of thread to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

bbability wrote: »
    Folks this is a discussion thread about Nuacht. Please continue the Ray Darcy discussion on the Ray Darcy Thread.
    Changing title of thread to avoid confusion.

Surely it's about Nuacht being broadcast at 3.30pm, not its removal?
    It would make more sense to air it after the news at 3 or 4 .. or alternatively at 4.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

.....but if it's done away with we'll never hear Robert Hall saying ...."and now we break for Noo-ock" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

I would say drop all Irish language progs from RTE 1&2 but, RTE are probably
    getting a handout from the Irish language lobby or some Govt dept to "promote the language" .

So somebody will have to fill the gap to contribute to Mr D'Arcy's pay cheque.

More than likely us taxpayers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Look, its not brain surgery.Its the producer(s) that are at fault IMO.Finish the first guest or the usual s**** before 3.30, and then dont start the next interview until after the Nuacht, simples.

Personally I don't see the point of it as its over on RnaG.But he should not have bad mouthed the Nuacht on air, but mentioned it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes. Whether he likes the Nuacht or not he knew full well it was coming up. I missed this but tried to get it o RTE player but it was snipped until Ray came back on after the Nuacht. I was very drunk at the time but I think there was only 8-10 mins before 3.30 and about 15mins after. That was never going to be an 8 -10 min interview. As was said by other people, it should have started at 3.05 or 3.35.

Ironically, I was in my garden shed listening to An Nuacht when I heard of Gerry Ryan's death. It's been more than 35 years since I last learnt Irish at school but I still knew Gerry Ryan was dead

• Advertisement

jimmyw wrote: »
    Look, its not brain surgery.Its the producer(s) that are at fault IMO.Finish the first guest or the usual s**** before 3.30, and then dont start the next interview until after the Nuacht, simples.

Personally I don't see the point of it as its over on RnaG.But he should not have bad mouthed the Nuacht on air, but mentioned it afterwards.

I think Ray has a problem with his personal preferences and his tendency to transmit the same into dogma As for " seeing the point of it" as its over on Rna G, well at that time its not and this also begs the question "what is the point of News at anytime on any channel"? "Sure can't ye hear the same stuff later or get it on Sky?"

Rays problem is expressing his personal preferences and airing them as dogma As for"the point" of anything broadcast on radio especially news , " sure can't you get the same information on Sky or any Player?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Bacachb2 wrote: »
    I think Ray has a problem with his personal preferences and his tendency to transmit the same into dogma As for " seeing the point of it" as its over on Rna G, well at that time its not and this also begs the question "what is the point of News at anytime on any channel"? "Sure can't ye hear the same stuff later or get it on Sky?"

So the news must be transmitted at that time?....:confused:

Even if the news was in English, I personally wouldn't necessarily want to listen to news at that time, at the top of the hour is good enough for me, but it wouldn't bother me.Others may have a different view.

Having an Irish language(or the Angelus for that matter) news bulletin on seems pointless on a predominantly English speaking station but thats MY view.

So it begs the question, should there be an English speaking news bulletin on RnaG??

But thats not the point.A presenter bitching about it is totally unprofessional and he displayed it in a similar way on Friday with the scolding of Will (whatever that was all about ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is a relatively small amount of Irish used on RTÉ1, and I like that - both that it is there and that there is not too much of it. To my mind, it normalises Irish a bit, without making a big deal of it. I think it is good that broadcasters like Marian Richardson and Cathal Mac Coille sign off in Irish, and I think "good on you" when Ronan Collins uses a few words of Irish to link into the nuacht.

Ray was wrong to make an issue on air of station policy; that's not his prerogative. But, because he brought in his own production team, it is his responsibility that the timing of his programme content did not fit the scheduling framework he was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He must be coming round a bit. He said "Go raibh maith agat a Chait" after An Nuacht on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

In one of the papers today that Ray D'Arcy has written to Jim Jennings demanding that Nuacht be removed from the 3.30 slot, Nuacht has been broadcast at 3.30pm on RTE Radio 1 for decades, Val Joyce, Donncha O'Dulaing, Ronan Collins.John Creedon and Derek Mooney never had a problem with it while they hosted the R1 afternoon show.

Good idea. All Nuacht programmes should be removed from RTE Radio 1. There is a perfectly good Irish language radio station which is specially for this minority interest group

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

cbreeze wrote: »
    Good idea. All Nuacht programmes should be removed from RTE Radio 1. There is a perfectly good Irish language radio station which is specially for this minority interest group
    We do like to emerge from the ghetto to take the occasional walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Expunge

An almost eight million Euro per annum ghetto to run, according to the RTE Annual Report, 2013. (Which is fine by me, by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Unfortunately for most people, including myself, understanding the Irish language was never 'a walk in the park'.

Advertisement