Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I just being a pu$$y??

Options
  • 28-04-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Recently (Within the past 3 months) I've noticed a lot of guys in the gym are lifting much heavier weights than me. These aren't the average joes, I'm talking about guys who are skinnier than me. I've taking bigger ****s than some of the guys I see lifting.

Just wondering what yer take is on my workouts.

Background:

I'm 6ft4 and 15.5stone in weight. My chest/shoulders are well above average size however my arms/forearms are tiny...at least in my eyes.

I play GAA 3/4 times a week so when I go to the gym I rarely ever do leg work. I try to go to the gym 2/3 times a week but as you all know its hard to stick to it every time!
    I have to admit, i hate going to the gym, especially my new gym (FYLFIT) as the bloody place is always packed after work. I'm seriously considering changing gym within the next month or so. Given the fact I dislike the place I tend to work out for 1hour max....I like to get in and out as quick as I can.

Here is my standard workout, I have increased the weights by a lot since coming to this revelation...before this my heaviest weight for chest press was only 22.5kg

Dumbell chest press
    25kg 10 reps - 2 sets
    27.5kg 10reps - 2 sets
    30kg up to 10 reps - 2sets

Tricep Dumbbell Kickback
    25kg 10 reps - 2 sets
    27.5kg 10reps - 2 sets
    30kg up to 10 reps - 2sets

Sometimes I might do 10 push ups between each set...sometimes not

Pull down lats
    35kg 10 reps -- 2 sets
    48kg 10 reps -- 2 sets
    51kg 10 reps -- 2 sets

Shoulder press
    15kg 10 reps -- 2 sets
    20kg 10 reps -- 2 sets
    10kg 10 reps -- 2 sets

Seated Tricep Pushdown
    25kg 10 reps - 1 set
    35kg 10 reps - 1 set
    45kg 10 reps - 3 sets

Seated Bicep pullups
    15kg 10 reps - 1 set
    30kg 10 reps - 2 sets
    20kg 10 reps - 2 sets
    10kg 10 reps - 1 set

Extra if I'm in the mood:

Abs
    Chest press
    Planks

Any advise to build more mass in the arms/shoulders, is there something im missing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

DEADLIFT
    SQUAT
    CHEST PRESS
    SHOULDER PRESS (db each hand, build up the kgs per week maintaining perfect form and posture) - I'm 5ft 11 & 13st 8lbs and I use 25kg at the mo each arm for 3 x 10 supersetted with side raises 3 x 10kgs

OH DID I MENTION DEADLIFT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

skeg16 wrote: »
    is there something im missing??

Hmm, I don't know... maybe those things you use to walk with?

Start squatting and deadlifting, otherwise you'll end up top heavy, and will look like an absolute clown.

Also, stop paying so much attention to other people in the gym. If they're stronger than you, they're probably training longer, more dedicated or smarter than you. Size is not always a measure of strength, and some people are just naturally strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They're also possibly doing shorter sets than you. Incidentally: do shorter sets. Try upping all of your weights and doing sets of 6 instead of 10.

That said, there is something weird about your numbers. You weigh 15kg more than me but your numbers are about the same or slightly slower. As already said, you don't seem to be doing compound exercises, so the supporting muscles probably aren't as well developed as the rest. Squats, deadlift and benchpress should be your main exercises.

Also ditch those pansy machines, use the rack and free weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Get a proper program.

A standard workout with everything by 10 reps and an increase every so often isn't an efficient use of your time.

You might also have a think about when you'll get some leg work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Zillah wrote: »
    Also ditch those pansy machines, use the rack and free weights.

I agree!! I've been forced to use them due to the availability of benches etc. Macken street is bloody ridiculous....we can't even use all the space down the back due to the bloody kickboxing/yoga classes FFS.

I have to say I do like the bicep curl machine though, purely due to the fact that I can't do normal bicep curls with bars/dumbells anymore....terrible pains in my forearms, I think its called forearms splints.

My plan for next month is to join a new gym and get a program made up. I'll have to be trained up on deadlifts & squats etc. because I'm a pure noob in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're in Macken St then have a think about Sportsco on South Lotts Rd. The weights area isn't huge, but it's never very busy, even after work, and it would have most of what you'd want.

Costly though, 60 quid a month, or 55 for a student/corporate rate. But facilities are good, and there's a pool!

Alternatively, just go to Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn't say your "just a pu$$y", as you put it. But I think your workout is a bit aimless and all over the place.
    If you are getting 2x10 at 30kg you should move up to the next weight (32.5kg?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

yeah, youre a pussy alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

As mentioned above you need to be deadlifting and squatting... try not to worry about other people, as all men are not created equal and some people will be bigger and stronger then you no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

do your homework on technique..it will serve you well when you add more poundage and are bossing it at the gym!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

OP you don't have a program, you have random s**t you do when you're in the gym

This is typical of 90% of the people in the gym so not unusual really.

plus, if you're strong enough for your sport then what more do you need?

Finally, at your height i would do more single leg exercises as you have massive levers to work with so ive found single leg movements suit taller people better. Also, 99% of the GAA guys ive worked with have shocking bad nutrition and even worse mobility so maybe strength isn't your limiting factor but other areas are what you need to be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's always tricky trying to build a programme for someone who is training and playing matches each week. For example your training may be sufficient to stimulate growth and size but if you aren't getting enough calories then you will see zero size increase. I would put GAA training on the same grounds as being in a concentration camp interms of helping with gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    I would put GAA training on the same grounds as being in a concentration camp interms of helping with gains.

Something something Schindler lifts.

Advertisement