Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A4 to A3

Options
  • 27-04-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Just wondering my next race will be A3 and I was always there or there about in the placings in A4. I got upgraded to A3 and wondering what is it like to race A3. I am in good shape fitnesswise but A3 is a new level. Will I get blown away in A3. I.know the distance is more. My goals are just to.hang.on.in.the bunch for as long as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

If you've been competitive in A4 and you step up your training a bit then you'll survive in A3 alright. A3 races are longer, so more stamina needed, and they are faster, so more speed needed. The accelerations are harder and usually more frequent than in A4 aswell.

/Personally I've struggled in A3 but that's down to a lack of training, ie. even down on my A4 training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I think the 1st thing you'll notice is the group is safer. Juniors usually involved in breaks especially when road goes upwards followed by strong A3s and then everyone else fighting for next places. Shouldn't be a huge problem staying in the bunch at least especially on flat courses. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

If you've been competitive in A4 and you step up your training a bit then you'll survive in A3 alright. A3 races are longer, so more stamina needed, and they are faster, so more speed needed. The accelerations are harder and usually more frequent than in A4 aswell.

/Personally I've struggled in A3 but that's down to a lack of training, ie. even down on my A4 training.

I was hitting form in A4 very well just before I got the upgrade to A3. I havent raced A3 yet but very nervous. I really hope I don't get blown away but I hope to stay inside the bunch and use as little energy as possible and hopefully hang on.

Any advice by anyone here?

I think the 1st thing you'll notice is the group is safer. Juniors usually involved in breaks especially when road goes upwards followed by strong A3s and then everyone else fighting for next places. Shouldn't be a huge problem staying in the bunch at least especially on flat courses. Best of luck.

I will surely become a better rider by racing against better riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Amprodude wrote: »
    I was hitting form in A4 very well just before I got the upgrade to A3. I havent raced A3 yet but very nervous. I really hope I don't get blown away but I hope to stay inside the bunch and use as little energy as possible and hopefully hang on.

Any advice by anyone here?

I found the start of the races were far more intense with breaks trying to get away and there were way more of them at the start and they were way more aggressive than A4, so expect it to be hard to start but it will settle down a bit so just hang in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I found the start of the races were far more intense with breaks trying to get away and there were way more of them at the start and they were way more aggressive than A4, so expect it to be hard to start but it will settle down a bit so just hang in

+1 first 10/20mins can be nuts and then it settles down

+1 first 10/20mins can be nuts and then it settles down

Nuts you mean Heart Rate in red zone? Christ not looking forward to that. I know the juniors will break away but I won't be following them. Just hoping to tuck into the bunch and let the bunch bring me along. Im not a sprinter but enjoy climbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nuts you mean Heart Rate in red zone? Christ not looking forward to that. I know the juniors will break away but I won't be following them. Just hoping to tuck into the bunch and let the bunch bring me along. Im not a sprinter but enjoy climbing.

I find it's normally around or slightly above threshold. Much easier keeping yourself positioned in the front half of the bunch, everyone thinks the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

If your sitting yourself on the front of the bunch!! Will ya please do a turn or two, dont just snake the guy in front of ya! Hes not going to pull ya around the whole coarse and if it's me I wont have to "F**k the head off ya!!". :)

Jack Joll wrote: »
    If your sitting yourself on the front of the bunch!! Will ya please do a turn or two, dont just snake the guy in front of ya! Hes not going to pull ya around the whole coarse and if it's me I wont have to "F**k the head off ya!!". :)

Dont worry i will never meet you and yes I will be staying inside the bunch and be towed around. My goal is to finish with the bunch and not be dropped. It's my first race racing A3, give me a break.

• Advertisement

Think ya missed the: :)

What's the next thing I should do so to step up my training for A3? I was planning to start doing endurance rides of about 120km at weekends and hard interval training during the week. I am genuinely fit but fit for an A4 and was always there for the sprints at the end. I have not exceeded 80km In a race so I must build up the endurance. Also I have a FTP of 302watts, so should I go and do the intervals at a slight harder pace than that with recovery in between? I don't want people to tell me how to train but a few useful tips on how to make the step up will be appreciated. I don't want to go into an A3 race and blown out the back early. I am more of an endurance athlete myself so A3 style of cycling may suit me when I get up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What's the next thing I should do so to step up my training for A3? I was planning to start doing endurance rides of about 120km at weekends and hard interval training during the week. I am genuinely fit but fit for an A4 and was always there for the sprints at the end. I have not exceeded 80km In a race so I must build up the endurance. Also I have a FTP of 302watts, so should I go and do the intervals at a slight harder pace than that with recovery in between? I don't want people to tell me how to train but a few useful tips on how to make the step up will be appreciated. I don't want to go into an A3 race and blown out the back early. I am more of an endurance athlete myself so A3 style of cycling may suit me when I get up to speed.

With an FTP of 300W you aren't going to get blown out the back of an A3 race unless you are very hefty. Over Unders are good training, where you do a duration over FTP at say 120%-150% and then drop back to slightly under FTP for recovery, rinse and repeat, similar to riding in a break where you do a hard turn and then recover for a longer period.

There's some stuff from sky here - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/training/five-effective-pro-training-sessions-26313

There's loads of stuff out there, you really just need to use google, read up and see what seems to work for you and what doesn't, eventually you'll be able to train yourself effectively. Either that or get a coach and learn from how they train you how you should train yourself in future.

Question! FTP of 300W+, why are you asking how to train? Does owning a Powermeter and reading Allen & Coogan not go hand in glove! Aside! if thats your FTP you should have no trouble at the front of the bunch, not hanging on at the back!

Advertisement