Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the energy up to workout after work

Options
  • 27-04-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been trying to get into running after work in the evenings, but so far I can't get over the tiredness at the end of the day. I finish work at 5pm and get in at about 6:30pm (45 min bus journey and 45 min walk).

Has anyone got any similar experience and got any tips on getting the energy levels up?

Ideally I'd liked to go running as soon as I'm home....the 45 min walk serves as a decent warm-up. But I as soon as I get in the door I go straight for dinner. What kind of things can I eat to get the energy up, and indeed, how best can I time it?

Cheers!

Comments

Do you run already?

What do you eating during the day and at what times?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I stay at home with my children so I don't do a nine to five but I work out five days a week. Some days my energy is completely depleted like today so I take a shot of liquid gold - its in most health food shops. I'm lying on the bed right now enjoying a rare lie down while the baby is asleep and I'm wiped. I can guarantee once he wakes and I take my little shot I'll be buzzing around and have the workout done by noon. It's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Joza wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been trying to get into running after work in the evenings, but so far I can't get over the tiredness at the end of the day. I finish work at 5pm and get in at about 6:30pm (45 min bus journey and 45 min walk).

Has anyone got any similar experience and got any tips on getting the energy levels up?

Ideally I'd liked to go running as soon as I'm home....the 45 min walk serves as a decent warm-up. But I as soon as I get in the door I go straight for dinner. What kind of things can I eat to get the energy up, and indeed, how best can I time it?

Cheers!

Out of box suggestion: bike to work.

It depends on how much of that 45 minute bus journey is due to traffic but the 45 min walk becomes a ten minute cycle, and there's nothing quite like that feeling of flying past a traffic jam in ten seconds that will take the drivers half an hour. What is the distance from door to door, do you know? You can check on Google Maps. If it's a viable option it has the benefits of:
    - Being it's own workout so once you're home you're done.
    - Saving you time.
    - Saving you money.

I never do cardio beyond my work commute on the bike and my fitbit says my resting heartbeat is 58 on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi all,

Is it possible you can cycle home? Would be a good workout!
    Alternatively some people find they are better off working out before work in the mornings, or at lunchtime.
    I can vouch for working out in the mornings. It takes some getting used to but you will be full of energy all day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

have a snack before you leave work, maybe a banana and nuts

when home have your dinner after your run

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can you run at lunch? There's always runners out where I am at lunch time, crazy mofo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I get in at 18:30 eat dinner , wait an hour and do workout about 20:15 ish after the kids are in bed. I always eat some fruit, usually a banana if the kids haven't scoffed them all directly after dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is there any way you could change your 45 mins walk home into a run home? Is it straight 45 mins from bus or does it include to and from bus? And is it the same commute in the mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Would it be possible to pack your running gear, change into it in work with a tracksuit, etc over it (whatever you're comfortable with) and then run home once you get off the bus rather than walking home with the bag on your back? If you did that everyday it's good going. Then get out for a longer run on a Saturday or Sunday?

This isn't easy. You're tired at the end of the day and when you get home there's things to do. Believe me, I get it. I train four or five times a week only one of which is on the weekend. To be honest, I know that if I was to try and head home first I'd probably end up not going down the gym so I bring my gear with me and head straight after work. I might have a snack prepared between work and training and grab a coffee on the way the days I'm struggling for motivation, but I know that heading straight is the key.

But it isn't the hardest thing in the world either. Your big problem is not that this is impossible, it's just that you aren't used to doing it. Establishing a routine is key. If my suggestion in the first paragraph doesn't work, then you just need to force yourself into getting home and getting out and delaying dinner to later. A big part of the equation is going to be eating something between lunch or training otherwise you'll arrive home haven not eaten in 5 / 6 hours and hungry (and tired!) and that will generally inform your decision making.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Could you run before work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

While all the suggestions are useful and constructive - i think you need to change how you view your training.

I was like you before - i was doing it because i felt i "had" to work out. I would trudge along doing x kilometres and mindlessly lifting some weights in the gym with the headphones in. Didn't achieve anything

It was only when i started group training/structured programmes etc. that my mindset shifted. I made myself get to training a) because i had committed to the group and said id be there and was accountable and b) the way good, structured programmes are put together is they will gradually build you up to perform better - by missing the earlier sessions, you are risking not being able to complete the remainder.. and nobody like failure.

Now i've been doing this a while - i love getting to training and its the part of the day i need the most. Sticking to that for a few weeks (10) and you'll find you have loads more energy, especially because the training has you in bed by 9 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems like the most sensible way to integrate this into your existing lifestyle is to bring a bag of running gear into the office in the morning, and then change into it on the way out the door in the evening.
    Then when you get off the bus, you run home. 45 minute walk should be a nice easy 25/30 minute run. And you'll drop in the door energised and ravenous for your dinner.
    You don't have to sit on the bus in shorts and a t-shirt; wear long running trousers and a light long sleeve base layer and you won't feel so exposed.

It does require some pre-planning as you can't carry very much when running. For example, when I run in and out of work, I carry a house key and my access card for work. Anything else that I need to have at work or at home, I arrange for it to be there for me.

Integrating it into your existing routine is by far the best way to keep it up; because you don't have to force yourself to sacrifice something (like watching TV) to do it. When you get off the bus and you're standing there in your running gear, you still have to get home one way or another, so you may as well run.

For energy levels, you need to watch what you're eating. If you suffer from the "3pm slump", then it means that the food you're eating at lunchtime is too high in sugar or starch. You're experiencing an insulin spike followed by a trough which makes you tired and lethargic. If you then get some kind of snack in the afternoon, you're building yourself up for another spike & trough, which will leave you feeling ready for bed at around 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

Hi all,

Cheers!

Tiredness is just another word for laziness!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Great input. And completely untrue.

If i haven't eaten sufficiently during the day (or i'm dehydrated) my body is suffering -- why would i then be in the mood to go lift weights for a heavy session or go for a long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah, I'm so lazy I fall asleep every night.

Must work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'd echo the suggestions that you work a run into your commute, or cycle the route if possible. Training during your commute is an incredibly efficient way to train, particularly if you have a 45-minute walk to the bus each way. If you can, bring your week's work clothes in on Monday morning and bring the home Friday evening - that gives you eight short runs a week with enough recovery time each day to let you work at a high intensity every time, and you'll use up less time commuting than you already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

OP must be wrecked, cant even find the energy to reply to any of the suggestions! :)

Understand its tough alright though, I know if I go home I find it very hard to get out again, but luckily I can go to gym on the way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

The cycle to and from work would be ideal, especially coming into the "dry-ish" season!
    Granted you have a shower facility in work because you don't want to be that guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I guess nobody is in the humour to head out for fitness or exercise right after arriving at home from work. The trick is to just do it anyway. Cos 10 minutes into it you'll be glad you did it. I don't think there's more to it than that for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

For me the key is not to go home. I go straight from work to gym or park. Once I go home I find it too easy to be lazy and watch tv for the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed with the above. I find that if I commit to the exercise before I get home eg for the running group I'm with we normally have to confirm our attendance that day. So I would feel bad backing out. Also I find changing into my exercise clothes as soon as I get home helps getting me back out the door again. I enjoy getting out after work as it blows away the cobwebs of the working day but I have a very short commute. If would imagine you have doing your mental winding down in your commute.
    I think a lot of it is in the mind. You get home and your mind and body is winding down. You need to trick and train your body that it has the energy and the mentality for the exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Most of time it's a mental thing not physical
    I work earlies most the time in about 4am finish around 10/11am my gym is close to my work which are both 17/18 miles from home
    I always pack my gear the night before and go to the gym after work cause if I went home there's no chance of me going to the gym
    Now there times you could sit in the car for 20 minutes debating with yourself whether to train or not, but once you get in the door and started your grand

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Once you start doing it a few times you'll get into a routine of doing it and you'll find yourself debating it less and less.

Advertisement