Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirt Rally

• 27-04-2015 7:01pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

They are talking about realistic simulation but somehow codemasters and simulation doesnt seem to fit but benefit of doubt and all that, im keen to see how this pans out.
    Not since RBR have we had a decent rally sim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Dcully wrote: »
    They are talking about realistic simulation but somehow codemasters and simulation doesnt benefit of doubt and all that, im keen to see how this pans out.
    Not since RBR have we had a decent rally sim.

Just seen this, have you bought it mate? Dying to know what it's like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Only had a quick go but seems pretty decent and looks very nice. I crashed a lot so it's not really anything like the rallying in the previous Dirt games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@ Ciano35 No i didnt buy it mate but watched a few streams there now.
    One streamer in particular who is a RBR veteran says its pretty darn good, not quite at RBR sim level yet but looks very promising.

Just watched a few videos, looks great I think! 14 cars included so I've taken a chance and bought it, downloading now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

played a few hours of it there and enjoyed it alot, but god damn i suck at driving on gravel :o

• Advertisement

Just played a few stages, love it :) the Impreza is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Bought it.

Good game, pretty difficult so far I find...

Looks nice @ 1440p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Its tough but a lot of fun. You really do drive with a lot of care.

Bought it and really like whats on offer so far.
    I get that RBR feeling while driving this thing which is great, maybe codemasters have some talented people in their ranks afterall that can make something other than the mindless dirt games of recent years.
    Just wish they didnt have dirt in the title, this is nothing like dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Might buy this tonight even though my pedals are still fecked.

I wonder what the sales have been like? A lot of sales would show codemasters they're onto a winner by going full on sim.

• Advertisement

Well worth a buy, ffb needs work and i wish it had mouse support in the menus.
    Turn off ffb and you see there really is a fine physics engine at play, the sounds are also fantastic, the group B cars in particular sound spot on.

the sounds are also fantastic, the group B cars in particular sound spot on.

Yup, interior sounds are class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I went ahead and ordered a wheel controller, I reckon it must be the only way to play this.

Do ye find this ridiculously hard to do well?

I can only post decent times on the tarmac tracks

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Do ye find this ridiculously hard to do well?

I can only post decent times on the tarmac tracks

Yeah I'm still getting the hang of it. It's really rewarding though, I was f*cking delighted when I managed to get a 3rd place finish in the Wales rally :P

Really love this game, can't wait to try Germany when it's released :) pikes peak should be great too!

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm still getting the hang of it. It's really rewarding though, I was f*cking delighted when I managed to get a 3rd place finish in the Wales rally :P

Really love this game, can't wait to try Germany when it's released :) pikes peak should be great too!
    Ya Pikes peak will be unreal

2nd place on sweet lamb tonight, progress :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Anyone doing the daily events?
    Really enjoyed yesterdays Monte Carlo stage in the 205 T16. I like the one attempt at the stage, fluffed a few corners in the M3 Evo today.

Looking forward to the Rallycross!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Download this today and all i can say is wow,

Graphics are excelent

Sounds are amazing from in car,

I love the look of carrer mode that you can save money to buy cars but also your car isnt just magically fixed for the next rally you have to pay to fix it and then you can also invest money building a team and upgrading your car as you go along and you also keep your cars so as you go along yor career you can pick and choose what series you want to enter i love that its much more relevant then having a magical target of points to unlock a car.

The oly thing i have issue with is i am unbelievably crap at it ha like really crap i finished 6th in greece on clubman level but i love it so ill be going at it again and again to get hang of it,

Any game with group b rally cars included and hs realistic handling is worth it to me,

• Advertisement

I finally won a stage today :D in the 131 abarth, by 2 seconds! Need to get a wheel though, I feel like the gamepad is holding me back.

Interesting vid, dirt rally has some serious potential already, loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Interesting vid, dirt rally has some serious potential already, loving it.

Maybe a stupid question but, is this going to be a PC release only ?

As in, will the final game be released for ps3/4 or Xbox?

If not I may go slightly mental !

Been campaigning for years for this very game- and for codemasters to stop pandering to the American market with ken block sh1te

barney 20v wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but, is this going to be a PC release only ?

As in, will the final game be released for ps3/4 or Xbox?

If not I may go slightly mental !

Been campaigning for years for this very game- and for codemasters to stop pandering to the American market with ken block sh1te

It'll be on consoles as well mate when the full game is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

It'll be on consoles as well mate when the full game is released.

Brilliant news--- I'm still playing RBR to this day and tbh I'd given up hope on a studio releasing a PROPER Rally game ever again--- I bet this will be a commercial success on a huge scale.
    Cheers for the great news

Have they officially stated it will come to console, this time last week they said they had no plans, maybe thats changed?

Nevermind, google is my friend :P

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/05/15/codemasters-will-be-looking-to-bring-dirt-rally-to-console

Finally got my pedals sorted and gave this a go. Overall it's excellent, it just falls at the final hurdle of FFB. I got the xml file which makes it playable but it's still very weak. If FFB get's fixed it will be a worthy successor to RBR.

I'm not sure what to do with it now, play on, or wait for codemasters to fix it before going any further with it? I don't want to get used to crappy feedback.

I'd say it's probably fine on a controller but if it wants to be a serious PC sim they need to fix that FFB.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Finally got my pedals sorted and gave this a go. Overall it's excellent, it just falls at the final hurdle of FFB. I got the xml file which makes it playable but it's still very weak. If FFB get's fixed it will be a worthy successor to RBR.

I'm not sure what to do with it now, play on, or wait for codemasters to fix it before going any further with it? I don't want to get used to crappy feedback.

I'd say it's probably fine on a controller but if it wants to be a serious PC sim they need to fix that FFB.

They've said that they're working on the ffb and will be releasing a patch in the coming weeks. :)

They've said that they're working on the ffb and will be releasing a patch in the coming weeks. :)
    I hope so, the fact it's console ready fills me with dread that they'll just move on. It's so, so close to being the top rally sim on the market. I'm hoping that being able to go to the console market saying they've satisfied the PC simers will be a big marketing advantage.

• Advertisement

I hate it when a sim like this mentions console at all.
    Look at project cars, it got 80,000 backers,rumours of atleast 50% of those are hugely disgruntled within 12 months of the games announcement when they saw SMS going a less simulation route into what some call "simcade" to cater for the console crowd.
    I hope codemasters dont fall into this way if thinking especially considering their past track record.
    This is their first effort into the sim world since toca many years ago, as it is right now the game is fecking brilliant ,physics feel great,just lacks decent ffb but they are on the right track, please dont ruin it by dumbing it down for console users.

No this isnt a dig at console users at all, my point is they know the vast majority of console users play with a pad thus they have to make the game playable with a pad, to really feel a simulation at work you simply NEED a wheel.
    This puts developers into a tricky situation, do they stick to their sim plans or go try make more money from the console market.
    Its exactly why i have so much time for kunos makers of assetto corsa and reiza makers of GSCE,both kept their promise and concentrate on delivering the very best sim they can to its core market.

So what's everyone's favourite car? I'm loving the lancia stratos, sounds class and is mad to drive :)

Yes love the stratos, sounds great but i prefer the group B cars myself.

Pikes peak is out now guys, it's class :)

You beat me to it :P yet another surprise , we knew it was coming but not this fast.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-rally-pikes-peak-released.106258/

I know what I'm doing for the evening fuk the sun :)

405 t16 I think I'm gonna ...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭Doge

Only discovered dirt rally today and i'm absolutely delighted with the new direction Codemasters are taking.

As for the people saying it will be a bigger commercial success, i tend to disagree.

Your average gamer tends to go mad for the mindless Ken Block style Dirt games, I can see this being less profitable.

Just look at the call of duty franchise for example!

Could some of you upload your own gameplays of the game?

Would love to see them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Bought this today.

I might have to finally upgrade my GPUs, I was getting 12.5 FPS in the benchmark!

The FFB is awful, but Im sure they will have that sorted. Finally a Rally game which has nice graphics and great handling, perhaps RBR can now lay its head to rest.

We have FFB!!!!!!!!!!!! , and it totally transforms the game, its awesome :)
    Info here aswell as tips for setting your wheel up.

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/06/dirt-rally-force-feedback-update/

So glad to hear this, I haven't gone near Dirt because I couldn't get the right feel.

Is the soft lock feature a bit like Assetto Corsa setup where you can just leave the wheel at maximum and the game automatically adjust the rotation to suit the car?

Yes but i found default on my G27 of 900 degrees too high so i brought it back to 540 and it feels amazing now, makes a huge difference, i too stop playing until they added ffb, being honest based on my early testing of 3-4 stages its a lot better ffb than i expected, fair play to codemasters.

• Advertisement

Yes but i found default on my G27 of 900 degrees too high so i brought it back to 540 and it feels amazing now, makes a huge difference, i too stop playing until they added ffb, being honest based on my early testing of 3-4 stages its a lot better ffb than i expected, fair play to codemasters.

Do you mean you changed the global device settings in the Logitech software to 540 before you launched the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

lol loads of people moaning like hell on the steam forums about the FFB update "the ffb makes me crash" "the ffb has messed up the game" "i cant drive fast anymore"

This game was a very good sim before the update, now it's better than RBR, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭Doge

Proof that Codemasters take customer feedback real seriously...

Finally got a chance to try out the update, it's a massive improvement. The game is playable now.

Really getting into this big time this week put in a lot of hours on it, I just love the stratos I've done countless seasons with it but I may make the step up to my fav rally car of all time the metro 6r4,

Just one or two tips ye may already know but they worked for me.

The stratos oversteers like a pig under acceleration I locked out the rear diff to the max it worked a threat and also the bonnet cam made it so much easier to navigate with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Bonnet cam defo the way to go, I'm bloody hopeless at rallying though but with bonnet cam I can actually finish without multiple resets :D

Bonnet cam will always be faster, just doesnt feel right to me playing a sim this way.
    I use the interior view,not the full cockpit view as it way too far back in this game but the one you can see the top of the dash and wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Dcully wrote:
    Bonnet cam will always be faster, just doesnt feel right to me playing a sim this way. I use the interior view,not the full cockpit view as it way too far back in this game but the one you can see the top of the dash and wheel.

Yeah I like to do that too, no assists and drivers eye view for sims if possible. But I'm ****e so I need help. Was getting better though, actually fastest on 1 quarter of a stage once :D

I usually use the drivers position cam in most racing games too but in this game the camera is too far back and also I cant hear the co driver clearly even with engine sounds down and speech sounds up and I never like center cockpit cams I may as well be sitting on the bonnet for realisim.

A big update for this today. Tarmac and new cars etc etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement