Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight training 2 times a week

Options
  • 26-04-2015 12:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

I've looked up programs for someone who hasn't done much strenght training in the past. All of them involve atleast 3 days of lifting, some with 6 days. Does anyone have any advice for someone who can only go to the gym twice per week? Can you acheive results with such a limited amount of gym time?
    I also train for a team twice per week and play matches most weekends. In the team trainings it's mostly fitness, agility and speed work that's done. As well as game specific stuff obviously. The results I'm looking for is increased power and strenght in my arms, legs and core. The usuals I suppose.
    I understand that doing 2 days per week will increase strenght and power in comparison to 0 days per week but can a huge amount of improvement be done? What kind of program should I follow? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Danye

noway12345 wrote: »
    I've looked up programs for someone who hasn't done much strenght training in the past. All of them involve atleast 3 days of lifting, some with 6 days. Does anyone have any advice for someone who can only go to the gym twice per week? Can you acheive results with such a limited amount of gym time?
    I also train for a team twice per week and play matches most weekends. In the team trainings it's mostly fitness, agility and speed work that's done. As well as game specific stuff obviously. The results I'm looking for is increased power and strenght in my arms, legs and core. The usuals I suppose.
    I understand that doing 2 days per week will increase strenght and power in comparison to 0 days per week but can a huge amount of improvement be done? What kind of program should I follow? Thanks.

I think Dan John has a 2 day a week programme. Put Dan John twice a week training into Google and you should get some results.

Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Thanks. It looks decent, the only thing is that he says one of the reasons that his program works is because of the 5 day rest per week. I wont be getting that but I might give the program a go. Try it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

I like my weight training like I like my telly bingo.....................................twice a week.

Sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Two days weight/strength training can absolutely achieve results. Any of the simple 3 day/week programs can be stretched over a week and a half to make them 2 days per week. Or even a A/B format like SL can be run on two days a week very easily.

At the end of last year, I had a lot of "other" training. So I only got in two days lifting per week. After 12 weeks I had broken old PRs from 2 years ago.
    I've a similar focus again this year. Two days strength, with the rest on cardio/conditioning or "other" training. And strength is still increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    Two days weight/strength training can absolutely achieve results. Any of the simple 3 day/week programs can be stretched over a week and a half to make them 2 days per week. Instead of Mon, wed, fri. It's easy to make it monday, thurs, m

Exactly.

Instead of thinking of it as Week 1, day 1, Week 1 day 2, Week 1 day 3 etc, just frame it as workout 1, workout 2, workout 3 etc. With a good program that outlines weight, sets and reps that should be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You can also do your core work at home separate to any gym visits if your home has a floor.

Advertisement