Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel System pram

Options
  • 25-04-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello there,

I am really struggling in deciding what travel system to get for my second baba.

I don't see the point spending more than roughly 500€.... I had a Quinny for my first one ,spending a fortune and ended up hating it. So this time I want to get it right.

Can anybody recommend one? There are so many out there and reviews are so mixed, so I'm so confused....

Important to me really is that it has a big basket, comfy car seat that can be easily attached to and lightweight, nothing too bulky, nothing with huge wheels... I would love a pramette which would save me getting a separate cot part, but there is not many out there.

Anyway, if anybody can help me out with their suggestions 😊

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

Hello there,

I am really struggling in what travel system to get for my second baba.

I don't see the point spending more than roughly 500€.... I had a Quinny for my first one ,spending a fortune and ended up hating it. So this time I want to get it right.

Can anybody recommend one? There are so many out there and reviews are so mixed, so I'm so confused....

Important to me really is that it has a big basket, comfy car seat that can be easily attached to and lightweight, nothing too bulky, nothing with huge wheels... I would love a pramette which would save me getting a separate cot part, but there is not many out there.

Anyway, if anybody can help me out with their suggestions 😊

Thanks so much!

As a first time mum to be I have no advice, but as I have already have the Quinny, very interested in what you hated about it? :(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I loved the quinny, so its all very individual. If I needed another buggy or pram I'd go second-hand, some are in excellent condition for a fraction of the price of a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Im thinking about getting the Baby Elegance Beep Twist. It is around 400 euro.

Anyone recommend or not recommend this?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I had the beep twist and was happy with it. I think it's great value for the price. My daughter slept in the cot part for the first few weeks too before she went into the crib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

We've the beep twist and I can't fault it. Everything is great and I don't have a bad word to say. I'd definately get the isofix base though, so handy. You can get them half price on adverts and done deal.

Only issue I had at first was the parts were hard to remove and swap etc but after a few weeks the latches loosened up and it's been fine ever since. That's about 6 months now.

For the price in my opinion it's well worth it. Our little one is 6 months now and is in the car seat every day, in the buggy bit every other day and has her day time nap in the pram bit every afternoon.

There are full sets on done deal etc for like €2-300 and if they're on decent nick, that's a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I have an uppababy vista and I love it. Huge basket, easy to fold, used the pram part as her cot for 6 weeks and she loved it. Bulky enough though. Expensive but worth every penny IMO. U would prob pick up one secondhand. Mine is still in good knick 11 months later so the quality shouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

City baby jogger mini seems to be the one jumping out at me. Have researched them a bit at this stage, but not due til October, and this buggy is suitable from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I worked in Nursery retail a few years back and got to get really hands on with all the prams and buggies. Lots of the same products are still on the market and tbh I wouldn't buy any of them. IMO, the Quinny buzz is gimmicky and sometimes a bit awkward, the bugaboo, while lighter is finicky and when I worked in nursery, was prone to issues, which I presume the company has ironed out. Not only that it was so expensive compared to the others and the spare parts cost a fortune too. I always liked the phil and teds but it's very heavy and due to my age I don't know whether there will be a second baby which was the big advantage of it.

Having said all that I really like the look of the Uppababy Vista - almost as expensive as the bugaboo, (typical!) but doesn't seem anywhere near as finicky. Love the choice of neutral colours too, as we don't know what we're having. And it has a huge shopping basket compared to the others. And it can turn into a double if necessary. That said I need to get a bit more hands on with it, and I have an advantage going shopping as my ex colleagues know they can't do a sales spiel on me! I'll know what to look out for and unlike most first time parents I won't be bedazzled by the range and choice that's available, it can be a minefield looking at all the different types and there's a lot of information to take in about what each model is capable of and which suits your lifestyle choice the best.

detoxkid wrote: »
    I have an uppababy vista and I love it. Huge basket, easy to fold, used the pram part as her cot for 6 weeks and she loved it. Bulky enough though. Expensive but worth every penny IMO. U would prob pick up one secondhand. Mine is still in good knick 11 months later so the quality shouldn't be an issue

I was very keen on the uppababy ista but tried my friends and found that the back wheels were just monstrous. Could barely get through the door frame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

heldel00 wrote: »
    City baby jogger mini seems to be the one jumping out at me. Have researched them a bit at this stage, but not due til October, and this buggy is suitable from birth.

Really easy to use and fold and lovely and lightweight. The wheels aren't big enough for me though, I live in the country and don't even have a path outside the house.

• Advertisement

Really easy to use and fold and lovely and lightweight. The wheels aren't big enough for me though, I live in the country and don't even have a path outside the house.

There is a newer gt version that has an adjustable handle and different wheels that seem to be more robust than the ordinary version. Live in country as well so will need tough set of wheels.
    Glad to hear tho that it's a nice buggy in general

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Check out the Icandy travel systems, i did a lot of research when I was looking for a travel system for my first daughter, i wanted a lightweight system, easy to put up and down into the boot, easy to push, forward/rearward facing buggy part etc etc and the icandy had everything. I got the icandy cherry but they have lots of different ones. It's really light, you can put the frame up with one hand and it's just a dream to push! it also has a decent sized buggy, i always think kids look squeezed into the quinnys! I've used it on 2 kids and a friend is currently using it for her child now so it's lasted well. You could always buy one second hand if you didn't want to have to fork out hundreds since you bought the quinny before. I also bought the Out and About nipper for walking, that is a fantastic buggy too.

EJD wrote: »
    Check out the Icandy travel systems, i did a lot of research when I was looking for a travel system for my first daughter, i wanted a lightweight system, easy to put up and down into the boot, easy to push, forward/rearward facing buggy part etc etc and the icandy had everything. I got the icandy cherry but they have lots of different ones. It's really light, you can put the frame up with one hand and it's just a dream to push! it also has a decent sized buggy, i always think kids look squeezed into the quinnys! I've used it on 2 kids and a friend is currently using it for her child now so it's lasted well. You could always buy one second hand if you didn't want to have to fork out hundreds since you bought the quinny before. I also bought the Out and About nipper for walking, that is a fantastic buggy too.

The city mini and the out and about are both buggies that the back lies down flat on them so baby can be put in from birth and then readjusted to sit up so baby is sitting up for when they get older. It also claims to be suitable up to 15kg/ 4 years of age, has adapters for car seat and can be turned into double in future
    Just seems to eliminate the need for a carrycot like with the iCandy? Maybe I'm wrong, I'm open to correction?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

heldel00 wrote: »
    The city mini and the out and about are both buggies that the back lies down flat on them so baby can be put in from birth and then readjusted to sit up so baby is sitting up for when they get older. It also claims to be suitable up to 15kg/ 4 years of age, has adapters for car seat and can be turned into double in future
    Just seems to eliminate the need for a carrycot like with the iCandy? Maybe I'm wrong, I'm open to correction?

I think you're right, I bought the out n about nearly 6 years ago now (eeek! seems like only yesterday) and my one doesn't have all the features the current model has now. It certainly is suitable until well into the toddler years though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I love the beep twist, so easy to use. We'll be using the bugaboo chameleon this time though!

I'd definitely go try the beep twist though, such a great price and never heard anything bad said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Blinkeyblue

Thank you all so much for all your insights! Yes, Uppababy feels very nice and love the big shopping basket. But I just struggle with the price....

City baby jogger, thanks for that. Never even heard of it before, will definitely look into that one! Love the fact that there is no real need for extra cot part.

Yes, the Quinny was so expensive but too awkward and actually after only few months became so hard to push and breaks stopped working properly, so big disappointment really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Love the baby jogger city mini gt. Have used it on country paths and in the forest no hassle. The gt is heavier as it's for worse roads than the normal one. The fold is amazing! I love it. Have used from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dido2012

We got the baby jogger city mini gt. Haven't used it yet just around the house but love it. So easy to fold and manoeuvre in small spaces and can attach the car seat with adapters. I got the baby elegance snuggy buggy for the seat to make it cosy for newborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Has anyone used the mothercare xpedior

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I love the City Jogger Mini, though just one problem - my newborn hated it! The second I strapped him lying flat he hated it and screamed blue murder until I picked him up out of it. Once he got to 5 months and could sit up in a buggy he loved it.

So if you are getting it, I'd highly recommend a newborn insert to go along with it. The back of the seat wobbles slightly from side to side when lowered back, so while an older child would be grand in it, its a bit shaky for a newborn on their own. That insert I linked to looked like one that would suit with the straps.

Edited to add: Dido's Snuggy buggy insert looks WAY better and snugglier than my linked one!

One thing to consider - and this is where you end up spending money without realising, is in the accessories. Rain cover is not included, or foot muff, or parent tray, child tray etc, so calculate all of those into your price. Another consideration is to research recall information before purchasing - usually if you are buying new from a shop this wont be an issue, but if you are buying it second-hand you'd need to check if the year of manufacture was subject to a recall or not.

In hindsight, I wish we got it second hand, accessories too. It would have been far cheaper, and loads on sale are in excellent condition. We were a bit PFB at the time though I suppose! If you plan to /have babies close together, then one that converts to a double is a good idea. If you have a decent age gap between your baby and toddler, and toddler is happier walking then a glider board can be attached for when they need a little rest but you need to keep moving.

What I love about City Jogger:

• Doddle to fold, even when you are on a moving bus driven by a F1 enthusiast, with a squirming baby under one arm and holding the shopping too. Ditto for unfolding it.
    • Hood/ Canopy is good and big - comes right down to the waist of the child almost. Great for naps, excellent in the sun, no matter how low the sun is.
    • Lightweight, easy clean - all the fabric is detachable and machine washable.
    • Basket underneath a decent size, and high sides so no chance of stuff toppling out. Also unless you crouch down and peer into it, you cant really see into the basket so a bit more private than other buggies.
    • I've fitted it into the boot of a Nissan Micra (with the wheels off) and the boot of a Micra is tiny.
    • Wheels come off with a single push of a button, and click back in when reattaching.
    What I didn't like about it:
    • Straps are a bit fiddly, and sometimes get twisted somehow.
    • Foot-muff tended to slip down so tricky sometimes to put the baby into. Once the baby is in, its fine though.
    • You will need a newborn insert, despite what the manufacturers say - there is just no head support whatsoever.
    • Rain cover should be included on buggies or included in the price- especially for the Irish market. The one I got for it tore at the zip seam after a few months, and it was one recommended for the Jogger though not from Jogger themselves. I just looked on their website and their one looks more durable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Can I just mention (because ours is 6 months old now) even though we use some part of the beep twist system every day, we keep a 30 quid Hauck sports buggy from Aldi in the boot of the car for popping down to the shops and into town etc. it's great.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/hauck-sport-buggy-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's so hard to know. We trawled the shops looking for something that would fit inside our dinky Kia Picanto (which turned out to be none of the expensive ones, as the wheels were too monstrous), and buying an expensive one meant we would also have to spend about 200 quid on a roof box to transport it. In the end I spent €50 on a second hand Britax pram with a carrycot (which Abigail slept in for the first 8 weeks) and a further €35 on a Mothercare stroller that was suitable from birth which was kept in the car.
    My mother was gifted a lovely Mothercare My4 pram which Abigail still loves, and we are taking it in December for our new little one. It is suitable for the Mothercare buggy board, which we are hoping to use for Abigail, and in the meantime, we still have our stroller :o

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

We got the beep twist as part of the baby elegance bundle and were delighted. For 999euro we got the full travel system including all rain covers, moses basket and stand, cot bed, bedding and mattress for both, changing bag, bath, and piles of other stuff that I forget! I think details are on the baby elegance website. I've never used any other travel system so can't offer a comparison,and would mention that we have a huge boot!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The out n about nipper is brilliant,I can not fault it.
    There are loads of mamies at the school that love their baby joggers too and some have the single and double versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Blinkeyblue

Thank you all so so much. Really appreciate all the feedback. I think you have convinced me for the baby jogger. Will go to stores the weekend to try it out myself 😊. Does Anybody have experience with the versa model?

Thanks also to the ones recommending the beep. But I must be the only one that doesn't like it too much. Had a look at it the other week and just didn't give me the feeling that it's the one for me really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I didn't like the beep twist myself when I was browsing. Like you I was aiming for the 500 mark. We ended up getting the maxi cosi loola from eurobaby mainly because I wanted the maxi cosi car seat and the package includes everything: car seat base (ISO/belt which we needed coz both cars don't have isofix), car seat, pram, buggy, adapters , rain cover, mosquito net, blanket and newborn insert!
    Loved the pram/car seat for the first three months. He napped in the oram downstairs for the first month or two. Both used the adapters so they could stay on the buggy. It folds away easily, needs two hands to put up and down though but that was fine with me as I'm in my own car so baba goes in first. Finding the buggy part a bit more awkward but eventually figured it was easier to leave the buggy on the frame and sacrifice a little of the space in the boot. Overall tho I'd definitely use it again and he'll get a good long while out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The beep twist can take a maxi cosi car seat but you need adapters.
    https://www.traleenurserysupplies.com/product-view.php?id=551&c_id=&sc_id=

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Neyite wrote: »
    I love the City Jogger Mini, though just one problem - my newborn hated it! The second I strapped him lying flat he hated it and screamed blue murder until I picked him up out of it. Once he got to 5 months and could sit up in a buggy he loved it.

So if you are getting it, I'd highly recommend a newborn insert to go along with it. The back of the seat wobbles slightly from side to side when lowered back, so while an older child would be grand in it, its a bit shaky for a newborn on their own. That insert I linked to looked like one that would suit with the straps.

I had a look at the City Jogger Mini in the shops and it seemed to me that its not very suitable for a newborn baby. I'm not surprised that you say it wobbles a bit as it doesn't look to be that secure/steady... I'm not for a second suggesting its unsafe but just that it doesn't look like it would stay static and provide a comfortable journey for the baby. With the way its designed, I'd expect some wobble.

The other thing I don't like about it is that it only faces forward. I'd like the option of having the baby face back so we can keep an eye on them, particularly for the first few months.

We also looked at the Quinny Buzz Xtra. It looks more static/steady for the baby and allows them to face in either direction. Its maybe slightly heavy though and doesn't have the 'one hand fold' that the City Jogger has (a brilliant feature by the way) so I'd worry that its a bit cumbersome for daily use.

The search continues...

I got the quinny frame for about 0-5 months, Bored. I think it was the Buzz.

It is heavy all right but I did love the front and back facing of it. But its a lovely solid, steady ride and with the car seat in it, the baby loved it.

• Advertisement

So I took the plunge and bought baby jogger city select buggy.
    Still in box awaiting a little passenger but here is my dilemma ...

Feel a bit stupid even tellin this but what I currently have is only suitable for baby when he/she is 6 months old!
    I would need to buy the carrycot for use from birth. Carrycot is 130eur. Have got maxicosi adapters for the car seat which clips easily onto the frame and three friends have told me not to buy the carrycot. That I will be using the car seat mostly and they rarely used their carry cot.

I know it's not recommended to have baby in car seat for long periods of time though. Very confused!

Advertisement