Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

She's finished, plenty of coverage of her round.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Great score so far today. A good top 10 finish seems in prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tied 4th, nice cheque $330,160.66

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

T4 is pretty decent

It's great for her world ranking, she'd fallen out of the top 20, this should put her back in it. It'll also jump her up a bit in the LPGA money list, she was 15th coming into the Open.

Hopefully she can kick on from here and get another win soon.

• Advertisement

Leona 2 under thru 9 in Northern Ireland in the first round of the ISPS Handa Golf International.

Annabel Wilson from Lurgan 2 up thru 3 in the last 32 match in the US Womens Amateur in Chambers Bay at Washington State. Play is currently suspended due to fog. Extraordinary Annabel is not part of the Irish women's team for the World Amateur Team Championships to take in Paris in two weeks time. Crazy stuff from the Golf Ireland selectors

Meanwhile Olivia Costello from Roscommon, who I believe is just 14 years old (someone could clarify here) is through to the third round (last 16) of the R&A Girls Amateur Championship. She is a very exciting prospect.

Maguire 5 under after round one and one off the lead.

Annabel Wilson wins 4&3 in her last 32 match in the US Womens Amateur. She plays American Katie Li later tonight for a place in tomorrow's last eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Olivia is 14 and she is class. One to watch for the future definitely

I know her dad very well. He's a great help to her, bringing her everywhere.

Annabel Wilson playing in the US Womens Amateur Quarter-final today after winning her last 16 game v Katie Li late last night.

• Advertisement

Olivia Costello lost 5&4 in her last 16 match in the British girls Amateur Championship.

Leona 8 under after round two of the ISPS Handa World Invitational after a 3 under 69 for the Cavan golfer. She is four shots back of American Lauren Coughlin.

Great to see Annabel Wilson playing so well in the US Womens Amateur Championship.

Wilson won her quarter final match 3&1 and will now play for a place in the 36 hole final on Sunday later this evening in her semi final match against Monet Chun of Canada.

Leona to play at next months Irish womens Open at Dromoland Castle, just less than a 10 minute drive for me. Hope to make this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Same - Clarecastle here - Looking forward to going in

Played Dromoland a few times, so looking forward to seeing Pros play it

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭paulos53

Despite not playing last week, Leona Maguire has moved up a spot to 15th in the world rankings. I believe that is a new high.

She also regains the position of highest ranking European

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

This is going to sound controversial but I think leona should have turned pro 5 years earlier than she did. The old fashioned model of going to school " having a qualification to fall back on " doesn't cut it when you have a one in a million talent . It's not as if people can't go back to college or that she wouldn't have had a career in golf guaranteed

The professional ladies is young women's game. They are winning majors in their late teens/early 20s.

I'm sure leona will win a major but she is 28 now and her game would have been alot more suited to the pro game 5, 6 ,7 years ago then it is now. A big career mistake by her management

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

A little controversial. I tend to agree with you somewhat.

However, she was the #1 amateur for a long time and that in itself holds a lot of weight.

Then when she was on Simetra tour, though competent, was still "learning" how to be a pro the traditional way.

But I take your point. All the while people like Lydia Ko, and some others, are seen as almost veterans of the tour, and they are younger.

Having said that, I'd say Leona is not too unhappy with her status and record to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

On fire. Joint 2nd with 4 birdies in a row !!

Should be great to watch until tomorrow night. Would be huge if she could win this one.

Hopefully Maguire and Ko will be well ahead of the field at the end of the day. That would leave a shootout between them tomorrow.

2 million dollars for first. 687k for 2nd

• Advertisement

Joint lead with 5 shots to 3rd is nicely set up for tomorrow. Phenomenal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I hope she can finish it out today, Ko is very experienced in these situations though. Should be a good watch.

Looks like the tv coverage isn't starting until 6:00. They will be well into the back 9 by then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

She has only hit 2 out of 10 greens so far but is scrambling well to stay within a shot of the lead

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jesus, Ko was really taking the piss with placing a moving ball, quite "thumby" in her placements, you'd have to have seen it to understand

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

A penalty area where it's not a to hit your ball? Any golfers explain the rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

She was already moving her hand to catch it, made no real effort to place the ball until she was at the top of the slope and on the flatter ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

passed by plenty of divots that would have held that ball from moving

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

always felt after the heroics of yesterday she was going to struggle today ,battled well and yesterday ensured she at least secured a lucrative second on her own,having not watched too much women's golf Leona seems to play woods an awful lot.Fair play to her if it works but against a big hitter she must be a at a major disadvantage,shows how good she is elsewhere.

Advertisement