Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started back doing some weights should I use Whey

Options
  • 22-04-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I am in my early 40's and have started back doing some muscle strengthen ,3 times a week each doing 8 exercises (35-40 mins) into my 8th week and am happy with the results, I don't take any supplements but was wondering should I be taking this Whey power to enhance my workout, also could do with losing the belly and I am thinking of cutting out potatoes,pasta, bread which I eat regular for a month or so. any advice

Avonmore Protein Milk That’s 25g of protein in a 500ml glass will this do the same thing as whey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

You could/should cut down the starchy carbs to before and after your workout.

Whey protein is just protein.
    If you're getting enough protein from other sources, you won't need it.

It's a handy and cheap(re) way to get protein in.

Personally I prefer getting protein from real food.
    I do add some bcaas and glutamine to my water a couple of times a day but I haven't had a whey protein shake in almost 7 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whey won't enhance your workouts. It's just protein.
    I'd concentrate on getting a grasp of your existing diet before you start adding supplements

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You could/should cut down the starchy carbs to before and after your workout.

Whey protein is just protein.
    If you're getting enough protein from other sources, you won't need it.

It's a handy and cheap(re) way to get protein in.

Personally I prefer getting protein from real food.
    I do add some bcaas and glutamine to my water a couple of times a day but I haven't had a whey protein shake in almost 7 months now.

I agree for the most part. But whey is just food, a handy food when you're in a hurry. I don't eat or drink it myself, but when I was 100% dedicated to strength training it was very handy for ensuring I met my protein needs.

Even now that my training is more varied(some strength and some cycling) it would be handy I have at hand sometimes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Brian? wrote: »
    I agree for the most part. But whey is just food, a handy food when you're in a hurry. I don't eat or drink it myself, but when I was 100% dedicated to strength training it was very handy for ensuring I met my protein needs.

Even now that my training is more varied(some strength and some cycling) it would be handy I have at hand sometimes.

Yeah, that's what I inferred when I said it's handy and cheap.

My preference now is to eat whole foods as much as possible and to get as few kcals from liquids as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Carb the fcuk up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

n,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 charmazing

I would recommend it as protein only stores as energy in your body and not fat! ITS DIFFICULT TRYING TO GET ENOUGH PROTEIN IF NOT GETTING IT IN FOODS and is low in carbs … PM ME if you wish and i will help you in creating a food plan that you will see amazing results in 10 days or less! HOPE THIS HELPS...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Carb the fcuk up!!
    I read that in an obnoxious Australian accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

charmazing wrote: »
    I would recommend it as protein only stores as energy in your body and not fat! ITS DIFFICULT TRYING TO GET ENOUGH PROTEIN IF NOT GETTING IT IN FOODS and is low in carbs … PM ME if you wish and i will help you in creating a food plan that you will see amazing results in 10 days or less! HOPE THIS HELPS...

What do you mean by "amazing results"?

Advertisement