Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Channel 4 are supposed to be in the mix too. Don't have Amazon, it's not that dear but already pay enough for Sky and BT. Would prefer to not be at the mercy of my internet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Amazon didn't show the Premier League or Autumn rugby in Ireland. You could get it here if you had them switch your prime video region to the UK, which was easy enough, but that's gone now since Brexit. So hopefully not them (although the picture quality of their stream is amazing).

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

VillaMad wrote: »
    Star Sports which is owned by Disney have the rights to international cricket played in India but as of yet they haven't sold it to any UK broadcaster. They will probably sell it to one of Amazon, BT or Sky in the days leading up to the first test match.

I remember the IPL 2019 was on one of the high numbers last year but we could have lost that like other channels due to Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Gillespy wrote: »
    Channel 4 are supposed to be in the mix too. Don't have Amazon, it's not that dear but already pay enough for Sky and BT. Would prefer to not be at the mercy of my internet too.

According to the Times today, Channel 4 are the front-runners to win the bid for coverage of the India series. BT and Sky are still interested but if Channel 4 won out, it would be the first time that test cricket is on terrestrial tv in the UK since the Ashes in 2005.

Saw that earlier. At least they're planning on having a studio even if KP is going to be in it. The day/night test plus the white ball stuff is on at a good time for the UK so should do well for them. Wonder are Sky saving up to get the away Ashes back.

• Advertisement

Australia's tour of South Africa cancelled because of covid. The Sri Lankan series went a head fine there. Every other country has made the sacrifices and effort to keep the show on the road and help each other out. Australia true to form of course couldn't even bother trying when it isn't India or England.

This now means New Zealand have made the test championship final so that's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Channel 4 have won the rights to India v England series! Set's alarm clock ;) Or more likely will watch extended highlights

England cricket fans already with Sky and BT subscriptions putting on a great show pretending this is such great news for the game. I hope they don't think it means cheaper match tickets or a reduction in their Sky bill. I'm happy it's on television so I can watch it, still would have preferred it on Sky.

I don't have terrestrial TV, just Sky/BT through Now TV and also Prime Video. I'm not celebrating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I don't have terrestrial TV, just Sky/BT through Now TV and also Prime Video. I'm not celebrating anyway.

I am in a similar boat. I am wondering if the channel 4 live streaming service will geo block ireland for this series? I can't find any confirmation online.

Hopefully either Sky or BT will tag on to the deal which is possible under the terms of the C4 arrangement.

• Advertisement

I downloaded the All4 android app and tried watching live TV and it told me this wasn't available in my region. Is that for all shows or is some content available to watch here?

Zak Crawley slipped on a marble floor an sprained his wrist and will be out for the first couple of tests which is one of the stranger injuries, I've heard of.

India will have their big guns back and their squad now looks quite formidable. Jadeja misses out but Kohli, Bumrah and Ashwin return. Their only question is whether to go with 3 spinners or 2. If they pick the extra, Kuldeep will probably be chosen over Siraj.

India (possible): 1 Sharma, 2 Gill, 3 Pujara, 4 Kohli (capt), 5 Rahane, 6 Pant (wk), 7 Ashwin, 8 Patel, 9 Kuldeep Yadav/Mohammad Siraj, 10 Sharma, 11 Bumrah

England welcome back Stokes and Archer to the squad as Wood and Bairstow flew home. Buttler will have the gloves for this test match until he goes home and Ben Foakes takes over. Looks like Crawley's place will be taken by either Pope or Lawrence. Burns will open. Chris Woakes looks likely to step in for Sam Curran while Moeen Ali is back available and will vie with Dom Bess. Finally, England will probably pick one of either Broad or Anderson.

England (possible): 1 Sibley, 2 Burns, 3 Root (capt), 4 Stokes, 5 Pope, 6 Buttler (wk), 7 Ali, 8 Woakes, 9 Archer, 10 Leach, 11 Broad

Big fan of Crawley, it might be a blessing to miss this with injury rather than potentially being dropped. He'll be fine at home and should enjoy Australia.

Must be tempting to go with both Broad and Jimmy for the first game and rotate after that if needed. Both looked so good at Galle. Took wickets and went for no runs. Offer more control than any other bowler.

I have a feeling England might be competitive. No Jadeja is a big boost considering the way they play left arm orthodox and the fact he's a great allrounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭MFPM

After the two early wickets, England currently doing well - Root and Sibley building a good partnership albeit slow going. Can't watch for the next few days so I'm following on talksport, seems weird without the usual TMS crew.

Root what a great batsman. A hundred in his hundredth test match.

England in control. Seems like a good batting surface...could be one of these high scoring bore draws but obviously long way to go.

Nadeem and Sundar are a good level below Jadeja. Root showed them no respect compared to how carefully he played Ashwin and the two quicks. Got on top of a tired Ashwin too at the end.

Sibley did his job well. Little spin day one but he looked more comfortable again. Deserved to survive the day and start again tomorrow.

Based on what the commentators were saying I don't expect a high scoring draw. Pitch played better than it looks, it's very dry and they expect it to wear a lot.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Nadeem and Sundar are a good level below Jadeja. Root showed them no respect compared to how carefully he played Ashwin and the two quicks. Got on top of a tired Ashwin too at the end.

Sibley did his job well. Little spin day one but he looked more comfortable again. Deserved to survive the day and start again tomorrow.

Based on what the commentators were saying I don't expect a high scoring draw. Pitch played better than it looks, it's very dry and they expect it to wear a lot.

Yeah India were right on top of England just after lunch when Sibley and Root were tied down by Bumrah and Ashwin and it was high quality test match bowling on a placid pitch. They got through it and then made hay with Nadeem and Sundar which was a definite plan. It was good traditional test match batting by England as they tired down the Indian bowlers before starting to up the run-rate.

A shame for Sibley not to get to three figures. It puts in Stokes against the new ball tomorrow morning and Bumrah looked really good, so they have a lot of work to do.

The last test match in Chennai was India against England in 2016 where England got 477 in the first innings before India hit 759 and then as the pitch crumbled, England fell apart and lost by an innings. First innings therefore will be really important. England have a start but they will need a similar day tomorrow to be really in charge.

That Chennai game was mad with Nair getting 300. Stuff like that happens in the last game of a series when one team is being badly beaten and just wants to go home.

Mini comeback with a few quick wickets by India after virtual domination by England and Root in particular with the bat. Interesting to see how India bat after this, the pitch seems to breaking up to some degree but with the batting line up they have they should be able to put up a decent score - the English spinners are no world beaters but Anderson and Archer may get something out of it.

• Advertisement

Root was great again, Stokes the highlight of the day. Another hour of him and England would closer to 650 now.

England will probably bat again in the morning if only just to upset the openers with the 10 minutes break. Not a lot happening yet with the pitch. Big runs will help Bess and Leach. Jofra could be dangerous with short bowling, Stokes too if there's some reverse swing. Jimmy can do what Ishant Sharma did, he got some movement all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If I’m England captain I was wanting 7 - 12 overs at India there before close. Declaring around 510/6.

England barring some daft meltdown of their own making are not loosing this test, why waste the time ?, lessening your opportunity to win ? ? If India were sitting down tonight 30/2 England are laughing all the way to victory especially considering the weather is set VERY fair for the remaining 3 days.... probably still will win but 555 runs having used two full days play is pointless. Leach and Anderson will score fück all.. Leach with a strike rate of 21.43.... I’m presuming England will bat on... if there is an overnight declaration that’s even more weird as it gave a chance to the Indians to rest overnight....Root ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

578 for England, but India could make 800, they got 750 replying to 477 the last time these two teams played a test on this ground

Indian openers both out, Sharma 6 and Gill 29. 44/2

Kohli and Rahane out now too, terrible response by India with the bat so far, both out to Bess. India have been poor throughout the match, dropped catches, too many extras - the missed stumping by Pant on Leach summed up their performance so far. Notwithstanding how good England have been, India are better than this, a bit of overconfidence coming from Australia series I wonder.

Good counter-attack by Pant and Pujara here..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

You get Pujara out and have a chance to start building pressure again. So why do you bowl Leech who’s been getting hammered for 10 an over?

Jammy dismissal for Pujara there...

West Indies on the brink of chasing 395 to win v Bangladesh..some chase.

Bess has taken 4 now, Pujara out for 91...

• Advertisement

MFPM wrote: »
    Jammy dismissal for Pujara there...

West Indies on the brink of chasing 395 to win v Bangladesh..some chase.

Won by 3 wickets, more rabbits than watership down in the lower order, so I didn't want to crow them, steered home by debutant Kyle M ayers, with a second innings 210*, 250 runs in the match, some win for them, lost their last 5 wickets in the first innings for 6 runs to go from 253/5 to all out 259, and were 171 behind at that stage

Advertisement