Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A slightly modest total by SA considering the talent in their ranks but a disciplined chase by England and they bowled very well too aside from at the death. England didn’t loose wickets with regularity aside from the dodgy start seeing them 32/3 after a quarter of their chase... makes the job, of winning with 4 balls to spare even more impressive.

I’m a Bairstow fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Change of broadcaster in New Zealand must be why Sky aren't showing cricket from there anymore. It was Sky Sport and is now Spark Sport. The good news is NZC are streaming the games on their youtube channel and is available to watch here.

Yesterday's T20 against the West Indies was a fun game. No more Ian Smith or Simon Doull but I liked the new lot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuKowzPg2-A0FcmyPa3yWug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Gillespy wrote: »
    Change of broadcaster in New Zealand must be why Sky aren't showing cricket from there anymore. It was Sky Sport and is now Spark Sport. The good news is NZC are streaming the games on their youtube channel and is available to watch here.

Yesterday's T20 against the West Indies was a fun game. No more Ian Smith or Simon Doull but I liked the new lot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuKowzPg2-A0FcmyPa3yWug

Thanks for the link, just turned it on and missed Brandon King walking back after his usual duck. How is that man stealing a living as a cricketer, I may have mentioned him before on this thread. West Indies 10/1 after New Zealand put up 239/3, Phillips made a fast 100.

India need 390 to get back into the series. Very similar pattern to the first game, big opening partnership, Smith made another 60 ball hundred and Maxwell applied the icing at the end. India will be hoping Bumrah and Shami will benefit from this come the test matches.

Steady reply so far, 17-0 off three.

So SA vs England... South Africa bat first and off to a flyer, boundaries galore and some very indifferent bowling, but as I type Archer bowls a pearlier and it’s 33-1 after 4 overs.

24 runs off Sam Curran’s two overs, all over the place is putting it politely but SA taking him to the cleaners.

• Advertisement

One of those dead, slow pitches that rob the fun out of T20 cricket. Makes it a different game not the spectacle of six hitting. Some really not leg spin on offer instead. England will be glad for it considering the world cup is in India. Malan came good again, proving his No. 1 ranking isn't a fluke and Morgan being there at the end to finish it.

English making a super go at chasing 192... 40 runs coming off the last two overs which has been indifferent bowling but world class striking by the two lads Malan and Buttler

Done with 14 balls to spare. Way too strong. Malan 99, he seemed to not know the situation at the end. Pity for him. What a star he is now. Buttler giving him the strike, who would believe that a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I watched the first 6-7 overs of the first innings, switched over and forgot about it. It was taking far-far too long to get through the overs. Ultimately it looked like the game lasted 3 and a half hours despite it being short of 14 balls.

That's IPL territory and I don't think they even have the "Strategic Time Outs".

If somebody who is an absolutely staunch cricket lover cannot watch it, what hope do they have for new people to the sport. This is supposed to be the game that attracts the new fans and I find it too slow and boring. But I'd sit down for 8 hours in a day and watch test cricket.

Australia V India 1st ODI went an hour over schedule. The 2nd ODI they were going over schedule but Australia bowled the last 3 overs quickly to avoid the fine.

The argument against slow over rates for test cricket is that fans are paying for 90 overs but are being left 5-10 overs short. I don't mind that if the play is actually good. But ODI and T20 is becoming absolutely unwatchable with the amount of time it takes to rattle through the overs.

Two stupid delays I remember from this game, one was something with the scorers after a wide. The worst was a run out that QdK didn't even appeal for. He said he fumbled and it still went upstairs and took ages.

I did notice it a lot more in the Aus/India game. India really took the piss, no urgency at all. And Jadeja flies through his overs so it could have been even slower.

• Advertisement

India rallied from 152/5 after 32 to post 302/5 off 50. Pandaya 92* & Jadeja 66* 150 stand off 18, and around 125 off the last 12. Australia just starting the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

AUS 246 for 6 down in 43 overs (need 57 from 42)

India salvaged some pride. Hardik had a great series, deserved more. Natarajan bowled well on debut. Thakur too.

Maxwell needed to get the job done himself. Zampa and Hazlewood are only capable of defending and getting ones and twos.

Got to see their new Keith Miller, Cameron Green make his debut.

Kane Williamson scored 251 last night in the first test. New Zealand 519/7d West Indies 49/0, two days gone.

First ODI postponed in South Africa due to a positive covid test. Hoping to play it Sunday now.

Could be a good finish in the first T20 in Australia. They need 49 off 28. India fighting back well.
    Kane Williamson scored 251 last night in the first test. New Zealand 519/7d West Indies 49/0, two days gone.

Watched some of it. Pitch was so green but didn't do much. He gave it away in the end looking to push on. Never looked in any danger until then. Just on a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Theres a lot of theory floating that India have abused the concussion sub rule. He was hit on the head (a big hit to be fair) but didn't get treatment, he just batted on and hit a few boundaries. He also seemed to have a hamstring injury which looked like he wouldn't be able to bowl.

During the innings break Langer was told that Chahal was being brought in for bowling as a concussion sub. He was not happy at all.

If it turns out that this has been faked then I feel this is far worse than SandpaperGate. Big trouble for Shastri, Kohli and Jadeja.

Situation not helped by Chahal then getting 3 for 25. Hopefully nothing untoward has gone on. If it did why would they admit anything. Delayed concussion is a thing. Langer can be angry all he likes, bit like Lehmann when Broad didn't walk. They were the first to use the concussion sub so no need to be bringing anything shady into it.

Big bash league starting today, another slogging tournament, unless you are the Sydney blockers. They needed 60 off 6 overs and blocked 4 of them. Also interviewing players in the middle of the game, ridiculous. Also had an interview with an opener who got 47 off 39 in a nine an over chase, and they were congratulating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Big bash league starting today, another slogging tournament, unless you are the Sydney blockers. They needed 60 off 6 overs and blocked 4 of them. Also interviewing players in the middle of the game, ridiculous. Also had an interview with an opener who got 47 off 39 in a nine an over chase, and they were congratulating him.

Was a strange run chase alright.
    I actually quite like the BBL coverage. I like Aussie sports coverage generally though, admittedly it's an acquired taste.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Was a strange run chase alright.
    I actually quite like the BBL coverage. I like Aussie sports coverage generally though, admittedly it's an acquired taste.
    The coverage is grand, but they sometimes ignore what is going on in the match. Sydney needed 31 off 11 balls and they were showing Carlos Braithwaite hitting 4 sixes in the T20 world cup final, not a mention that he hasn't scored a run in 3 years, and that his team had thrown away the game. What were they doing bringing in Silk and Hughes, when Christian was sat on the bench. The chase got to 42 off 24 balls, and the commentary was all about the tremendous hitting power Sydney had on the bench.

Poor enough game this morning, too one sided, the Stars totally dominated from start to finish.

West Indies getting flattened again, only Blackwood is providing any resistance. Their A side is in New Zealand as well and last night, my nomination for worst international cricketer, Brandon King made another well crafted duck. What a player.

India got bowled out for 36 in the second innings of the first test. Highest score was 9, and Shami the last man retired hurt. Australia need 90, might not get it on this pitch. Probably will though, because Shami won't bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Ireland were 38 all out last year against England which was the lowest since 1955, but India surpassed that effort overnight with just 36.

It was pretty incredible bowling from Cummins and Hazelwood with not a whole lot the Indian batsmen could do. A lot of balls in that area where you have to play it and can't leave it and each time it was nicked behind. Just the perfect session from Australia.

They chased it down pretty easily as well as they attacked the ball rather than waiting for the wicket ball to come.

India name team for Boxing day test, Gill, Pant, Jadeja and Siraj come in. Even with no Kohli batting looks stronger. Ishant and now Shami missing will show us the depth of their pace bowlers. Picking Jadeja tells us what they think of it themselves I think.

No Warner yet for Australia.

A very entertaining first day in the South Africa vs Sri Lanka first test.

Sri Lankan batsmen not afraid to play some attacking positive cricket with the bat... 300 up in the 71st over and just 5 wickets down... gives them a nice platform to attack with the ball tomorrow... set up nicely.

Only started watching, doesn't look that flat at all. SA missng Rabada.

Watched a good bit of the two tests last night. Williamson batting on another level at the moment. Pakistan won the toss and took two quickly but Williamson and Taylor really fought hard to put NZ on top.

India had a good day. Smith is really struggling. His returns since the Ashes are very ordinary. Siraj didn't bowl in the first session but ended up having a very good debut. All on the Indian batsmen now, Gill looked solid on his debut too.

Brisbane Heat collapsing again. Woeful stuff after such a solid start.

Edit: maybe all the domestic T20 tournaments around the world's posts should be in a thread specifically for them?

• Advertisement

India well placed at the MCG. Rahane, the stand in captain, with a fine hundred and good contributions by Gill, Pant and Jadeja who is still in. Really impressed by how they have bounced back from Adelaide.

Meanwhile Pakistan are 30/1 after 20 overs still trailing by 401 runs. Looks hard work all around there.

Advertisement