Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack O'Neills Tyrrellstown closed ?

Options
  • 21-04-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

Admittedly there was talk about it last week & the doors were locked tonight. Tried the Carlton Hotel & they will now serve residents only as they don't want Jacks customers.....leaves us TT residents with a long journey for a pint (:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

Andip wrote: »
    Admittedly there was talk about it last week & the doors were locked tonight. Tried the Carlton Hotel & they will now serve residents only as they don't want Jacks customers.....leaves us TT residents with a long journey for a pint (:

Le Shantie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I thought the bar in the Carlton always served anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It did. Maybe they had a mass exodus over there and didn't want the hassle as there's usually only 1 or 2 in the bar during a weekday evening.

Having said that, and I was never a regular to O'Neils, I never thought it had a rough or tough crowd so I'd be surprised if it was because of this.

The world and it's dogs knew the closure was coming though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

It's not a bad crowd at all, the problem is that large swaths of the community are not in to the pub culture.

I knew someone would come up with the community make up line sooner or later, and it's a red herring.

The problem is with the pub, not the people who live in the area, and I thought you'd know better other than to imply otherwise.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I knew someone would come up with the community make up line sooner or later, and it's a red herring.

The problem is with the pub, not the people who live in the area, and I thought you'd know better other than to imply otherwise.

I drink in the pub regularly - I know exactly what I'm talking about.

The population of Tyrrelstown should have the only pub out the door in business and yes perhaps it can be better ran, but even the Corduff Inn has a busier weekday trade than this one.

Just because you drink there regularly doesn't make you an expert. But if you were a regular in there you'd be aware of the speculation that it was being purposely ran down.

Take a look at the bus stops on a weekend evening, look at the number of taxis leaving the area at the same time filled with people dolled up for the evening, take a look at the night links dropping people off.

The pub is not appealing to a large portion of potential customers. Many are young or mid to late 30s with young kids, so don't get out often. If you get a night out are you going to go to a pub that has some sort of soccer on every screen in the place, with a slot machine in the corner and a pool table down the end ? Not a chance.

It's a pub best suited for going to watch football, and nothing else. I can even give an example when a bunch of us went up to watch Leinster play in the knock out stage of the Heineken Cup a year or two ago. They wouldn't put it on as there was soccer on, 2 different games on several tvs so there was scope for it. And I know rugby did at one stage attract people there as I sat at the bar more than once watching knock out rugby and it had a good audience. None of us went back since.

Lately they didn't even have stock of popular drinks so I am not surprised that people went elsewhere. They didn't help themselves, their website was terrible, Facebook page not updated since late last year.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just because you drink there regularly doesn't make you an expert. But if you were a regular in there you'd be aware of the speculation that it was being purposely ran down.

Take a look at the bus stops on a weekend evening, look at the number of taxis leaving the area at the same time filled with people dolled up for the evening, take a look at the night links dropping people off.

The pub is not appealing to a large portion of potential customers. Many are young or mid to late 30s with young kids, so don't get out often. If you get a night out are you going to go to a pub that has some sort of soccer on every screen in the place, with a slot machine in the corner and a pool table down the end ? Not a chance.

It's a pub best suited for going to watch football, and nothing else. I can even give an example when a bunch of us went up to watch Leinster play in the knock out stage of the Heineken Cup a year or two ago. They wouldn't put it on as there was soccer on, 2 different games on several tvs so there was scope for it. And I know rugby did at one stage attract people there as I sat at the bar more than once watching knock out rugby and it had a good audience. None of us went back since.

All very fair points and I don't claim to be an expert at all but I'm simply giving an opinion and my mates and I hold. Maybe my opinion is not relevant and that's ok.

I am in to the football and pool and all that jazz, so those issues you mention are not ones for myself.

There was some anti-social issues there a few weeks ago that i happened to witness once myself, but no different to the Hound or the Corduff Inn or the Shanty and they still manage to still keep going.

Yeah, fair enough, different people want different things. It's not my type of place, but it is for a few neighbours who go there specifically for the soccer. When my wife and a few of her friends are going for an occasional drink they'll walk by it and straight to the hotel instead.

I don't think it ever really catered for the immediate demographic of its potential customer base, but that's easier said than done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

I lived in Tyrrelstown, moved out about three years ago and to be honest the pub was so unappealing it was painful.

The soccer and racing on constantly from open to close did my head in, the clientele for the most part was questionable -especially at the weekends and there was never a real atmosphere from it.

The last time I was in the place was on a Saturday evening with my brother. We had two pints and between the televisions, man utd jerseys, loud mouths we just jumped in to a taxi about 9pm and went to ratoath for the rest of the evening. There was absolutely nothing whatsoever that would have made me want to sit at the counter in the place - and this is coming from someone who loves soccer, loves pubs and pints and conversation with strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd go for a pint in there maybe once a week, but it's normally dead. As has been said, of recent, a lot of the pumps have been dry and it was really only a matter of time.

Sadly, the hotel is asking for room cards to prove residency before serving - I find this doubly annoying as I also used to go there quite a bit and they never seemed to refuse my money before :rolleyes:

There's nothing within walking distance that I know of now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You could walk to Paidi Og's but it'd take you a while, it's in Mulhuddart Village.

I saw a post on the Tyrrelstown forum, it said:
    made a few phone calls and I was told that it was closed down by a solicitor acting on behalf of Twinlite..the staff weren't told anything in advance

Vahevala wrote: »
    I saw a post on the Tyrrelstown forum, it said:

it wouldn't surprise me .. the rents being charged in the town centre are massive. To keep a pub of that size open would be an impossible task. I always said that a much smaller pub, with at most 10 bar stools and a couple of tables (no food) would survive if the rent wasn't too excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Id be surprised if the hotel was that busy that they could afford to refuse local trade. I hope it keeps fine for them, and their small minds.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Id be surprised if the hotel was that busy that they could afford to refuse local trade. I hope it keeps fine for them, and their small minds.

to be fair .. the revenue from the bar (non resident) i wouldn't imagine is a core part of their business model. If anything the bar there is only to offer a service to guests and people attending functions. They will staff it appropriately when they know there are functions etc and otherwise just keep it tipping over.

Also, it can't be denied that some of the characters and groups who would have frequented Jack's wouldn't appeal to a hotel bar .. not everyone's money is equal coming over the counter of a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

whippet wrote: »
    to be fair .. the revenue from the bar (non resident) i wouldn't imagine is a core part of their business model. If anything the bar there is only to offer a service to guests and people attending functions. They will staff it appropriately when they know there are functions etc and otherwise just keep it tipping over. .

Maybe be, but there are lot of businesses in the area.............

Visited the hotel again last night and they were fine. In fairness, the guy behind the bar said that they had put up notices saying residents only to make it easier to challenge those that they didn't want in from Jacks, unfortunately he reckons that some of the staff took it too literally.

As for the unexpected closure, most of the staff I know were expecting it, but doesn't make it any easier on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Larbre34 wrote: »

They could put the money towards cleaning the exterior of the building, and fix the lights that don't work on their signs.

It looks derelict, and has done for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

boreder wrote: »
    They could put the money towards cleaning the exterior of the building, and fix the lights that don't work on their signs.

Agree 100%. It really is an eyesore coming in from the Ashbourne side. A shame really, as it's nice inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

whippet wrote: »

Also, it can't be denied that some of the characters and groups who would have frequented Jack's wouldn't appeal to a hotel bar .. not everyone's money is equal coming over the counter of a bar.
    Very reminiscent of the Royal Oak closure in Finglas, and the Ardmore hotel getting the footfall afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

boreder wrote: »

It looks like something out of the walking dead.

Ah it's not that bad in fairness. Fix the lights and get someone in to clean the run off down the side. It's not like getting the local guy out that cleans the gutter, it's a pretty big job unless they already have the basket thingy to lower maintenance down the side installed, which I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Terrible boozer.

It wasn't quite a bar or a lounge. The place always felt confused.

It really should have been split in two (bar/lounge), the layout is uncomfortable and awkward...

anything up hollystown direction?

Any word on this re-opening in some guise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Seems to be just wasting away along with aurora, the diy shop and the Indian takeaway.

I've heard the owner of host in Ongar is taking over aurora. He was telling me the other night when he delivered our food.

Presumably just the take away section ?

Problem still seems to be the high rents, or so I believe. I reckon the crutch for both the Indian and Aurora were the dining areas, I think both would have survived longer without having to pay the rent on all that additional space which was more often than not unused.

The DIY shop merged with the car auto shop. Rents will be the killer. :(

• Advertisement

Makes no sense, surely a regularly paid lower rent is better than an empty unit. Seems to be a history of this type of thinking though :(

Advertisement