Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Cooking Club running out of steam?

Options
  • 21-04-2015 7:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, the current signup thread has been open for 11 days and we've only had 12 signups, including one poster who has already participated this year. Are we running out of steam? It seems the level of interest has dropped to record lows.

I'd love some feedback from people. Why are you or aren't you participating this year? What stops you from signing up?

Do you have any ideas about how we can rejuvenate the forum? It's very unpleasant for us to have a feeling like you're trying to pull hen's teeth when it comes to signups. We don't want to flog a dead horse!

We took on board the suggestion of breaking the signups into smaller time frames, which has helped to reduce the rate of no-shows. Perhaps together we can decide how the future of the forum should look :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hardly weather related, people spending less time online at the moment? Maybe mods could put it in their sigs.

I opted not to sign up to give others a chance of a slot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Perhaps it has run its course.

There's no interest in the current recipe, but I'm not bitter, no. :pac:

Maybe it would be worth pausing the cooking club until January 2016. That will give everyone a good long break from it, and then we can all return refreshed and reinspired? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's no interest in the current recipe, but I'm not bitter, no. :pac:

I suspect this has a lot to do with it, in general. Over 160 recipes have less than 20 responses. I strongly suspect that people feel like their recipe has 'failed' when it doesn't get a lot of responses, which puts people off submitting further recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Did we cock-up on handling the last feedback thread? Is there something we (the mods) could have done better?

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Faith wrote: »
    I suspect this has a lot to do with it, in general. Over 160 recipes have less than 20 responses. I strongly suspect that people feel like their recipe has 'failed' when it doesn't get a lot of responses, which puts people off submitting further recipes.

I loved taking part on my first go even if I wished I had a better response. There are so many recipes on the net it's almost impossible to compete as it were. Having said that though I think it's great that we have it. There are people who post midweek meals that are great, so maybe people feel it daunting to come up with something really good, especially with all the previous recipes done? I don't know to be honest. In any case, I loved taking part, have signed up for this run if you're stuck for numbers Faith, throw me down twice!!

Loire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It can be a bummer if your recipe gets few responses (I know). Some recipes have broad appeal and others less so.

Maybe the future of the forum lies in people suggesting recipes from cook books, the internet, or indeed one of their own. Everyone would vote on them - and anyone interested would make the most popular one around the same time? It would probably have to be a monthly rather than weekly thing though.

Did we cock-up on handling the last feedback thread? Is there something we (the mods) could have done better?

tHB

I don't think so. This is a very well run forum!

One thing that caught me the last time was that I was looking for the Sign Up thread in the main Cooking & Recipes forum rather than in the Cooking Club. I realise this was my mistake, but I wonder if the Sign Up thread was in the main Cooking & Recipes forum more people might see it and consider taking part. sorry if this is a bit convoluted...I'm on an iPad and trying to make the dinner!!!

Loire

It can be a bummer if your recipe gets few responses (I know). Some recipes have broad appeal and others less so.

Maybe the future of the forum lies in people suggesting recipes from cook books, the internet, or indeed one of their own. Everyone would vote on them - and anyone interested would make the most popular one around the same time? It would probably have to be a monthly rather than weekly thing though.

That could be great! We could all try the recipe and each of us post our final result....I'm always amazed watching programs like Masterchef when they all produce different looking dishes with the same ingredients...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Maybe once a week is too frequent now that the club has been running for a good few years? I signed up to take part this time around, but to be honest I only signed up as I love the cooking club and don't want it to be disbanded out of lack of interest!

I, for one, preferred when people could put a crapload of photos into their recipes. I love being able to see people's kitchens, what knives people use, oooh I can see their colouredy socks in that pic! I also have way less interest in recipes that don't have any photos at all. Anyway that's just me - I would never buy a cookbook with no photos, so this is the same thing.

Maybe once a week is too frequent now that the club has been running for a good few years? I signed up to take part this time around, but to be honest I only signed up as I love the cooking club and don't want it to be disbanded out of lack of interest!

I, for one, preferred when people could put a crapload of photos into their recipes. I love being able to see people's kitchens, what knives people use, oooh I can see their colouredy socks in that pic! I also have way less interest in recipes that don't have any photos at all. Anyway that's just me - I would never buy a cookbook with no photos, so this is the same thing.

I kinda agree on the photos thing too, although I'd never show my own kitchen as it's about 40 years old and creaking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

As a newbie to contributing to the forum (I was a lurker for quite a while as I didn't have the confidence to post due to my perceived lack of cooking ability), I think what someone mentioned above about the availability of recipes elsewhere on the interweb. That said, since I discovered the forum I've come across lots of brilliant recipes that I'd never have even considered had I not seen them here.

I also agree about the photos, not because I like seeing people's kitchens or knives, but because it's nice to see 'normal' people's food photos rather than the professional images in cookbooks/professional websites, and to hear and see their hints and experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I like this idea. I'm more of a recipe follower, the rare time I might find something to add to a recipe, and I never created a dish from scratch. I wouldn't like to sign up for the cooking club when all I would contribute is copy and paste from a cookbook when others are so involved in their recipes!

Okay, so now out of those 12 signups, we have two who've only signed up out of obligation, almost. That's interesting!

The pictures thing is so divisive. Even within the mod team we argued at length about it. Some people love all of the pictures and find it really enhances the recipe. Some people find too many pictures to be distracting and repetitive. Personally, I HATE when it's like:

Picture 1: An onion
    Picture 2: Me slicing into an onion
    Picture 3: The diced onion on a chopping board
    Picture 4: The onion in a saucepan

We brought in a limit to encourage people to be selective and not just upload a whole memory card of pictures. But if it's something that people feel strongly about, we can revisit it. Maybe we could lift the limit, but specifiy that the full recipe must be posted clearly first, and then pictures can go at the end or in a subsequent post?

We also won't be enforcing a rule where people have to have pictures, because that would be silly. So some recipes will always be picture-less, but I'd hate to think that would stop people trying a recipe. Cookbooks have pictures, sure, but they only ever have a maximum of one or two pictures per recipe.

So it's great to get general feedback, and keep it coming. But I'd also encourage folk who have decided not to participate (either this year or ever) to post as to why they decided that.

I personally have submitted 6 recipes over the years, so I haven't participated this year because A) I don't have any more good recipes to share in my opinion, and B) I've posted so many that others need a chance too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I love pictures so I can be like is my batter too thick too thin what is this supposed to look like am I doing ANYthing right ahhh ??

Maybe once a fortnight is ok for recipes now that might be good timing
    I still have loads of old ones bookmarked

[mod_hat=OFF]
    I haven't put myself forward for the past couple of sign-ups as I have contributed to most years & wanted to give others a chance. I still feel the same, but will happily do a slot if one is free.
    [/mod_hat]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why have a schedule at all? Why not just let people post recipes as they wish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

To let one person's recipe be the star of the show for a week I think. The idea being that people who follow the club would make the same recipe at around the same time & share their experiences. (if I'm wrong about that please shout though!)

To let one person's recipe be the star of the show for a week I think. The idea being that people who follow the club would make the same recipe at around the same time & share their experiences. (if I'm wrong about that please shout though!)

Yep, that's it exactly.

One potential way forward would be to let people just post recipes as they wish. Basically, start new threads for recipes whenever you want to contribute something.

It is how traditional Cooking Clubs operate. Members convene at an agreed date/time, prepare the dish & compare/discuss the results. If people just posted ad hoc you would lose the group participation element. Granted - it doesn't happen for every recipe, but it is core to the ethos of the forum.

We already cater for recipes that people wish to post outside the schedule in the Random Recipes thread.

It is how traditional Cooking Clubs operate. Members convene at an agreed date/time, prepare the dish & compare/discuss the results. If people just posted ad hoc you would lose the group participation element. Granted - it doesn't happen for every recipe, but it is core to the ethos of the forum.

We already cater for recipes that people wish to post outside the schedule in the Random Recipes thread.

Where is that thread. I can't find it.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Where is that thread. I can't find it.

Random Recipe thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

When I started reading this forum and making recipes from it, it was hard to get onto the sign up sheet, I know I missed it the first time I wanted to sign up and had to wait til the next year! I know it's much easier now because there are several chances a year, but I still have it in my head that it's hard to get into, so I tend to not post immediately to get on the list now, and I've posted the last three years so figured I'd give someone else a chance. Rereading that, it's not terribly logical, and I hadn't really thought it all out consciously until now! And having said it, I'm going over to the sign up thread again. :o

I've had very mixed reactions to the recipes I've posted, and yeah, when there aren't many replies it's a bit disheartening, but people's tastes and levels of cooking skill differ so there's not a whole lot can be done about that I suppose. I do love this forum, I check every Friday morning to see what recipe goes up. I probably only make one a month, or less, so maybe less frequent recipes would work better...but I would miss the weekly update!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First of all, to the mods - stop beating yourselves up. You are doing a great job, there is a great community here and this is my first go-to place when I want to cook something (ignoring the many cookbooks in the kitchen and the countless apps on my tab). I'm sure it's the same for everyone else.

Secondly, for me personally, a lot of the recipes of late I just simply haven't the interest in. That's no reflection on anyone other than me. It is testament to the variety of recipes that are being posted.

Finally, in the Great Picture Debate, I have to admit, I agree with others - seeing not-so-perfect pictures of a dish are actually an encouragement.

As for a fix, I wonder would decreasing the frequency help? Once a fortnight, or once a month, maybe? Also, would bringing in an element of wine/beer recommendations add an extra angle to proceedings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yes I think maybe less often might be better? Or maybe are people afraid to sign up because so many recipes have already been posted and they don't know what to post?

I also think posting links in the cooking forum might get more interest too.

(I think ye do a great job, by the way mods)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Maybe there could be a return of ingredient of the week but moved into the cooking club? Post a few ingredients and people can post their recipes.

Doesn't have to be weekly of course.

Mix things up a bit by having a theme thread every six weeks or so, give an ingredient or cooking style and have a free for all. I look in here most weeks but not much is to my taste, I modify where I can but it would be great to see a selection on the same idea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Once a month might be a fit.

When it started out, there was much more everyday recipes now i find a lot of the recipes need special ingredients. i am always full of great intentions but I forget to the buy or cant find some of the ingredients.

i would also say, i have had a baby in the last year so that has limited my time massively.

I wonder how many other people are in the same position. Is it an aging population?

Oh i hate all the photos. the scrolling up and down to get to the words does my head in

Maybe there could be a return of ingredient of the week but moved into the cooking club? Post a few ingredients and people can post their recipes.

Doesn't have to be weekly of course.

I like this idea. Say for example the ingredient of the week/fortnight is chicken. Can you imagine the variety of dishes! As opposed to one person doing one recipe, lots of people would do lots recipes at the same time. It would really push people to be imaginative also. For anyone in future then looking for (say chicken) recipes this would be a super resource

Loire wrote: »
    I like this idea. Say for example the ingredient of the week/fortnight is chicken. Can you imagine the variety of dishes! As opposed to one person doing one recipe, lots of people would do lots recipes at the same time. It would really push people to be imaginative also. For anyone in future then looking for (say chicken) recipes this would be a super resource

I like this idea, you could have a whole 3 course meal within one thread, you'd have more choice for special diets, quick dishes and the more fancy ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I've always seen the Cooking Club as a repository for recipes that take a bit more time and effort but are really worth the reward, the Indian curry, chilli and pizza base recipes being the best examples (although the pizza base and the chorizo & lentil stew are the only ones I'll keep doing - a 4 month old baby means no time for dinners that take hours and hours). So I think there's a natural limit to the number of recipes that can come up without repetition. If it does slow down completely it can be just set as read only for a year or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement