Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chit chat about War Thunder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

1.57 Battle March is out today.

Decent sized update with a good number of vehicles in this update 2 new maps as well.

Germany got a lot of love this time with 4 tanks (also an open top spg line) and 5 planes. and a premium king tiger.

USA got the super pershing and the p61 plane.

The tea tanks got a top tier AA in the shape of the falcon AA but the creme de la creme has to be the chieftain tank their new top tier tank looks great and should be a beast on the battle field.

https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/546

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if you were a german fan and got annoyed because of russian tanks now is the time to go back.

Germany is ripping everyone apart at the moment with a host of buffs making them super strong

in tanks:

-Dicker Max is a beast. Essentially the same gun as the tier V Tiger 105, this baby tends to one shot everything it sees. Surprisingly easy to aim with good range it rarely bounces. Also its a tank destroyer so its cheap to spawn. Did I mention its early tier 3 meaning the worse it sees is the t34-85 which it can kick the ass of quite easily if it gets the first shot off.

-Nashorn is solid. Not as a massive kick in the nuts as big dick but with the tiger 2's gun at tier 3 it can end anything it faces. Only problem is it has one of the weakest armour in the game meaning of every nation the USA have the best odds at killing it cause they can spray with 50. cals and kill it.

-Tiger 2 premium is pretty much an up armoured tiger 2 with a turret that is a bitch to pen.

-New shell and ammo rack dynamics: So the fragmenting of a lot of shells has been redone and APHE has gotten a buff across the board. Most expected Russia to benefit the most but then came the 2nd detail. Ammo racks have been nerfed, they are not much weaker and much more suspectable to exploding. T34s got a rude awakening when the patch hit cause panzer IVs - Panthers - Tiger 2s were destroying them across the board.

-Last man standing. Again something everyone was betting was going to buff russian tanks even more but shockingly its germany that are benefiting the most from it. Panzer IVs can taken the beating of a lifetime and survive because of it, the Maus can hulldown and survive insane level of punishment as can the tiger 2.

-Armour has been booster on cannon breach. Armour has been increased on the cannon breach of all tanks, which means the old tiger 2 weakpoint of straight through the front of the turret is almost none existent now, tiger 2s can take a tonne of frontal hits now. much more then before.

Expect nerfs soon but for now it is the golden age of german tanks

So they posted this on their main page yesterday

https://warthunder.com/en/news/3718-news-victory-day-in-war-thunder-presentation-of-new-vehicles-en/

Im not sure how I feel about it to be honest.

ATGM's could be fun but could be a bad thing they really will have to separate out most WW2 tanks from this its mounted on a T62 chassis so will be very hard for anything but the top WW2 tanks on to pen it.

Oh it will be the top russian spg and re searchable not a premium.
    There will be a US and German equivalent too in the next update supposedly.

There is more but i cant think of it at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we dont want guided missile crap in war thunder :(:(:(

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we dont want guided missile crap in war thunder :(:(:(

Well gypo as gaijin would say in Soviet union guided missile wants you!!! But yeah they going down this road nothin can be done. Unless its a br of 9 then it will only face top end stuff.

Maybe it could be shot down with machine guns on tanks

• Advertisement

Well gypo as gaijin would say in Soviet union guided missile wants you!!! But yeah they going down this road nothin can be done. Unless its a br of 9 then it will only face top end stuff.

Maybe it could be shot down with machine guns on tanks

ok that would be cool . as long as you can see them coming and they arent as quick as a cannon round that could work

ok that would be cool . as long as you can see them coming and they arent as quick as a cannon round that could work

They are confirmed to be top BR and the rounds will be slower then a cannon shell. But nothing on if you can shoot them down yet.

They've just removed LMS in the game which has sent the balance into a tizzy again.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    They are confirmed to be top BR and the rounds will be slower then a cannon shell. But nothing on if you can shoot them down yet.

They've just removed LMS in the game which has sent the balance into a tizzy again.

Whats LMS?

Whats LMS?

Last man standing, instead of your tank dying once you had less than 2 crew it made it so the last crew man could jump between gunner and driver but would take about 20 - 30 seconds to switch.

Smaller tanks it made no difference but in big tanks with 6 or 7 crew like the toroise and maus it was a pain to kill if all you had was apcr.

Rumors are aswell that Jap tanks and fleet/boats are due this year and the next update is very soon. cause apparently 1.61 is due by august/ september so 1.59 should be this month or next (all rumor of course)

They really need to give all nations an atgm at once not just one otherwise all you will see is russian tanks at top tier.

Last man standing, instead of your tank dying once you had less than 2 crew it made it so the last crew man could jump between gunner and driver but would take about 20 - 30 seconds to switch.

Smaller tanks it made no difference but in big tanks with 6 or 7 crew like the toroise and maus it was a pain to kill if all you had was apcr.

The nation that benefited from it the most was by far in my opinion Germany. It turned tanks like the Panther and Tiger 2 into genuine fortresses when engaging from the front because you couldnt just focus on killing the turret crew to remove them. But even at lower tiers tanks like the panzer IV had turned into proper undead monsters that kept going even with multiple hits.

Taking away LMS has turned them back into glass cannons again that cant take a hit anymore which is somewhat a shame because it really did help turn the tide on the whole t34 spam with the combination of tougher panzer IVs and the dicker max being introduced making Germany quite strong in the mid tiers.

Now they are back to being a nation of glass cannons which I wouldnt have an issue with if there guns were the most effective but it is very hit and miss with slopped armour still.

Case in point:

My sherman absorbed a dicker max shell and bounced the second.

• Advertisement

Big update inbound

patchnotes here: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/315155-preliminary-update-notes-war-thunder-update-159/

A lot of gameplay changes. They've divided the designation of airplanes down even more and given airspawns of different heights depending on your type of planes

including RB
    For all missions in the game mode [Operation], new air respawn points have been added. Respawn points for fighters are further from the mission objectives than the airfield. Respawn points for bombers and attackers are closer. Altitude for respawn points:
    Attackers: 1000 m
    Bombers: 3000 m
    Long-range bombers: 4000 m
    Interceptors: 2000 m
    Air defence fighters: 3000 m

Essentially p51s get a 1000m spawn above bf109s and fw190s if both opt for airspawns.

I know its further from the objective but it really removes a lot of incentive to use airfields.

ATGM INCOMING!!!!!

Patch 1.59 Is here first 4 ATGM equiped tanks along with it.

3 of which are in the research tree and the british one is a premium which it on the side of money grabbing if you ask me..... its €40 with 1000 GE and 7 days premium

http://warthunder.com/en/news/3763-news-update-1-59-flaming-arrows-released-en/

http://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/582/

Few new tanks and planes including the first player inspired/designed one new map and other bits and pieces. update was about 7GB on the preload option so shouldnt be much bigger id say

I think there will be a non British premium one along eventually as they've set the ATGMS as the end of a line for each nation. Frankly while in some circtumstances it is money grabbing, it is also the first proper Tier IV premium the British have gotten which has been the standard for every nation in the game that they get at least one tier IV premium. It becomes proper money grabbing when it starts to look like the russian tier IV tech tree where there are almost more premiums then standards.

I bricked my computer earlier in the week so I've been running to get war thunder updated for this. Look forward to trying it out when I get home.

Also the premium German night fighter they added is actually a plane a player made and if you buy it a % of the money goes to them which is a novel addition

its also a lovely plane

he219_07_1280_720_22bad69a08b558039e853defda6b1f73.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

T29 as a premium seems an odd choice. I haven't kept in touch with WT, but this would leave a large gap in the US heavies with a major leap from the M6 to the M103. Are the T30/34 going to end up the same?

Spear wrote: »
    T29 as a premium seems an odd choice. I haven't kept in touch with WT, but this would leave a large gap in the US heavies with a major leap from the M6 to the M103. Are the T30/34 going to end up the same?

The T30/34 Would sit there nicely after the T32 I think but yeah a strange one to put in the premium line up.

As for the tier IV british premium they could of used something else instead. You are essentially getting a centurion Mk3 with just 3 ATGM's where as the other nation are dedicated ATGM launchers barring the Sheridan (maybe) this isnt.
    I cant help but feel because the British tanks are new it just screams cash grab to me. I do believe the swingfire will be the proper ATGM tank for the brits. Maybe in the next update with the new top tier AA tanks

I wont be getting it or the T29 cause tanks are starting to cost too much now that almost a full priced game there at €40 made that mistake with the calliope :pac:

Also just been reading on the forums that apparently some of the jets and planes have had their research point requirements cut (some increased) and by good amounts to over 100K + in some cases so if your looking to research jets maybe now is the time.

Nothing of this is confirmed

But Gaijin are at E3 today. Made a post about it on the reddit etc.

Rumours circling they are about to announce either:

War Thunder for Xbox one: They recently stated that with microsofts policy change on cross platform they were hoping to expand there

Or

footage of ships at long last: we know they are close to going into closed beta.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Nothing of this is confirmed

But Gaijin are at E3 today. Made a post about it on the reddit etc.

Rumours circling they are about to announce either:

War Thunder for Xbox one: They recently stated that with microsofts policy change on cross platform they were hoping to expand there

Or

footage of ships at long last: we know they are close to going into closed beta.

551.gif

ships trailer

Bizarrely looks like they are starting with germany and russia again...

very odd.

until you read the announcement

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4185-news-naval-battles-in-war-thunder-closed-beta-test-later-this-year-en/

and see this bit:
    Question: Will larger ships (cruisers, battleships, aircraft carriers) be available for player control? If not - why do we need torpedos?

​Larger vessels, while not available for control by players, but will be presented under the control of AI in some game modes. One of the main tasks of combat torpedo boats will be the destruction of larger ships. Player-controlled destroyers and other large ships may appear later, in other gamemodes, it will be decided based on results of closed beta.

god I hope thats temporary...

otherwise, what the f*ck gaijin!?!?!

• Advertisement

Awwwwhhhhhh sssshhhhheeeeeeeetttttttt bbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrtttttttt

The first of the new top tier AA has been revealed and well its a mini gun toting vulcan. This thing should tear most planes out of the sky pretty easy id say i
    wonder how it will fair against tanks

https://warthunder.com/en/news/4220-development-m163-vulcan-gatling-fury-en/

So been a while since this had been updated ... 2 years :pac:
    A lot has changed in war thunder. Top tier aa with radar assist. Atgms, tier 6 tanks such as the M1 Abrams, the challenger, the type 90 and the leo 2A4.
    Reactive armour composite armour and proper spaced armour have all been added too.

French tanks have been added with the Italians due to be added soon.

Naval forces are in closed beta at the moment.

Then yesterday at Gamescom they announced helicopters starting with the Huey, Cobra and Hind with more to be added for each nation.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5707/current/

Planes are a bit stagnant though nothing majorly new with the exception of air to ground missiles being added soon.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5698/current/

I've been mostly playing in the end game squadron battles mode for the last year.

It's very different from the main mode and can be a strange mix of frustrating and exciting.

It's an 8 vs 8 player mode where all players get only 1 life.

Up to 4 players per team can be in aircraft. But all planes except bombers are required to take off from an airfield and there are no markers in the game for air or ground.

The result is a very different kind of battle, without spawn points to fall back on it leads to a much more tense gamestyle.

But it would never work outside of organised squadron battles, the sheer amount of comms needed to make the mode work explains why it's squadrons only.

Every week Gaijin puts on a different battle rating during each season. Some brs its worth bringing aircraft, others its not and when it hits the really high br the games go really quick.

Very happy to have lead my team to a top 20 position for the 3rd season running though.

Advertisement