Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a career in Politics?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Sand wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. Just because someone drives doesn't mean they know the rules of the road or the principles planning and constructing a road network.

Well it's like with anything really, you can be a businessman, but whether you're a good businessman is an entirely different matter.

I'd imagine most successful businessmen would have, at the very least, some knowledge of economics, especially if they started as entrepreneurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

RomanKnows wrote: »
    The Shinners will pay you 25c per post or comment made on social media if you agree to toe the party line and defend the actions of some of their more 'colourful' members.

Could keep a lad in rollies and cans of Karpackie if he was stuck for a few bob.

FACT :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Sand wrote: »
    But experienced politicians presided over Ireland walking blindly into a brick wall from 2003 onwards, culminating in a dumb decision in September 2008. Experienced politicians trumpeted a 2012 "game changer" deal with the EU that actually amounted to nothing at all. I'm only an amateur posting to a message board and I could spot nobody had promised anything of significance to Ireland. And the second group of lads had the benefit of having learnt lessons from the mistake of the first group of clowns.

I'd acknowledge the argument for experience if it was in anyway supported by evidence, but it isn't. Good government occurs because of people *thinking* about good governance and building structures and restrictions that lead to good governance, like term limits.

A golden rule for good governance is the the whole outcome should not be dependant on the individual quality of TDs. In Ireland, we seem to hang our hopes on "strongman" type leaders like they do in third world dictatorships. We get about the same results...am I being that radical in suggesting that we need to do something different?

Sorry I am very late to this.
    First of all the night of the bank Guarantee was a crisis and they made a bad decision (I am not minimising it was really bad). I am talking about more general day to day getting a policy through. there is nothing in your post that would suggest that a person of less political experience would have done better.

as for your Golden rule of governance we live in a democracy every adult has a vote every adult is allowed to put themselves forward for election.

We actually don't do 'strongman' we do 'cute hoors' which is also bad just less killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Politics seems cool, but to really make something out of it, you either have a good family line, money...like alot of it or have an outstanding oratory skills.
    luck to you.

Advertisement